Dirt bikes!

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
They deny other citizens the peaceful of the use of the forest and have a selfish self centered attitude. Not to mention the stench of half burned 2 cycle oil and the noise. These people have nothing to do with the pines except it's explotiation for their own interests, don't care about the heather, pixie, teeberry and other plants they ride over, and could never hear the call of a hawk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude, its a small amount of time out of year, they been doing it longer than you've been around. If you got that much of a problem with it, maybe it should be you staying out of the pine barrens to make sure you don't accidently walk on an ant or accidentally walk over a tree frog.

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
i agree too. ranger were out there keeping things right. everybody was polite and respected me!

i was upset with the mountain bikers on the Batona. they were wrong. same with the horse crap i had to step over. motor bikers were in THEIR rights.

id say it but, the kettle comment is not politically correct any more.

nothing against you Karl, however i find this post to be a prime example of what i usually rant about.
There are people who have problems with the:
horses
mountain bikers
hikers
atvs
enduros
reptile enthusiasts
bird watchers
geocachers
Historians

Every single one of these groups is INVADING the pines. you were not there in its beginning. If the crack that has been smoked can honestly lead someone to believe that their group is better or should have access to the pines over another particular group, i seriously need to get myself some. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US IS GUILTY AMONG LEAVING UNNATURAL TRACES WITHIN THE PINES JUST TO SATISFY THEIR OWN INTERESTS!!!!!! IF YOU BELIEVE THAT ANYONE GROUP IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE DESTRUCTION THAT GOES ON,THE ONLY OPTION IS TO KEEP ALL HUMAN BEINGS OUT!!!!!!!!! IS THAT WHAT YOU PEOPLE WANT??????CAUSE THE MORE YOU CRY AND BITCH AND WHINE,YOU ARE PUSHING THE NEW JERSEY STATE GOVERMENT THAT MUCH CLOSER. SOME OF YOU PEOPLE GOTTA GET YOUR HEADS OUT OF YOUR ASSES AND SEE WHAT YOU ARE DOING. THE KEY IS TO REGULATE, NOT BAN!!!!!!:mad:

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
This post was a good read up until the last several posts.

Very well said by Scott and Largo.

Mudboy, I've heard people bitch about different groups but its a little hard to justify someone tearing up a bog in a huge ass truck as having respect.....its just tough. All the other groups you mentioned have very little impact.....one truck through a bog can destroy a spot for quite some time. The groups you mention can coexist pretty easily, coexisting with atv's nearly hitting you or doing donuts around you while you hike is a little tough. Going to one of your favorite spots only to have it destroyed and trashed by ATV's is discomforting....maybe these are the bad eggs though. I have no problems with someone riding there car on trails at a safe and respectful speed...its the people who tear the crap out of things the chap my ass. I sometimes get the sense that you are a bit misinformed about how ATV's affect wildlife....I have a feeling since you are open that if you saw its affect with actual examples you may change you stance on ATV's a bit.....maybe I'm wrong. The problem with your arguement is that ATV's take away from all the other groups enjoyment. Driving by Guy looking for stones and has no effect on me looking for reptiles, walking by someone on horseback has no effect on me, or vice a versa. Walking by someone who is ripping a area apart does though.....so it kind of different.

Eduro's riding through the pines 3x a year isn't that big a deal to me.

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
Let's not forget the damage those who pick up trash and take photos!

I wish I could get my hands on those idiots.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Hmmm...
Oooops, forgot one:
April 1: Largo doing nothing but walk about gentleman like. Sheriff took him in for impersonating a gentleman.

Well aren't you just the fount of wit in an otherwise argumentative thread?
You've one upped me again sir, and I will say for the greater good of the thread. I have tried to impersonate a gentleman, the resulting debacle not appropriate in this forum.

g.

ZZ3GMC

Scout
Sep 19, 2003
Pemberton
Visit site
Both my fiance and I competed in the Curly Fern this past weekend. As with any large event, there are always a few "bad apples". I can honestly say that most everyone that rides an enduro, as well as their pit crews, are extremely respectful to the surroundings and other users. My fiance and I eat, live and breath enduro competition! We try our hardest to be ambassadors to the sport we love and respect the other users of not only the pines, but also anywhere else that we have raced. From Rhode Island to Fla and even Brazil. After the events, club members go above and beyond cleaning up afterwards. From removing the markers to raking down the berms almost to the point that it is very hard to tell anything happened that day. Im very sorry that you had some trouble negotiating your way around and hope that you realize that not everyone out there was inconsiderate that day.

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
there is plenty of room for all of us.

We seem to all agree that anyone who purposefully ruins the natural area is the real culprit.

Therefore lets all join hands before they sell the entire place to the feds!

Don't think NJ officials DO NOT see gold $$$$ in them there pines !

It seems the pines is not only loved for the environment. But the freedom it provides to many to travel the roads, few fences, signs, etc. Most appears to be untouched where he heavens seem to meet earth.

Sometimes I have more concerns that the state gov does not respect the pines the way it should be.

I have traveled around the country and DO NOT find as much freedom, ( free of $$$-entry fees, few prohibiting signs, as I do as I ride the sandy roads of the pines..... "freerider"

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
A few of my buddies from work ride the roads with there dual sports and I have no prob with that, running Enduros is a legitimate sport , a few times a year isn't all that bad if ya don't like it then stay out of the woods on those days ,that's all, can't we just all get along??????

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
After the events, club members go above and beyond cleaning up afterwards. From removing the markers to raking down the berms almost to the point that it is very hard to tell anything happened that day. Im very sorry that you had some trouble negotiating your way around and hope that you realize that not everyone out there was inconsiderate that day.
Thanks for the info from an insider and I agree for the most part that these events do little harm in the overall scheme of things. I am also impressed to hear of the post event cleanup. I do not want to see these events end, but there is room for improvement. As stated on earlier posts, the near blocking of roads is a major annoyance. This also leaves the perception that these groups are inconsiderate and forgetting about the rights of others. I don't think their intent is to block the roads, but it is done absent-mindedly. Rectifying this problem would be a big step towards allowing peaceful co-existence with others.
Just my 2 cents.

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
This post was a good read up until the last several posts.

Very well said by Scott and Largo.

Mudboy, I've heard people bitch about different groups but its a little hard to justify someone tearing up a bog in a huge ass truck as having respect.....its just tough. All the other groups you mentioned have very little impact.....one truck through a bog can destroy a spot for quite some time. The groups you mention can coexist pretty easily, coexisting with atv's nearly hitting you or doing donuts around you while you hike is a little tough. Going to one of your favorite spots only to have it destroyed and trashed by ATV's is discomforting....maybe these are the bad eggs though. I have no problems with someone riding there car on trails at a safe and respectful speed...its the people who tear the crap out of things the chap my ass. I sometimes get the sense that you are a bit misinformed about how ATV's affect wildlife....I have a feeling since you are open that if you saw its affect with actual examples you may change you stance on ATV's a bit.....maybe I'm wrong. The problem with your arguement is that ATV's take away from all the other groups enjoyment. Driving by Guy looking for stones and has no effect on me looking for reptiles, walking by someone on horseback has no effect on me, or vice a versa. Walking by someone who is ripping a area apart does though.....so it kind of different.

Eduro's riding through the pines 3x a year isn't that big a deal to me.

In no way am I trying to say that the guys who tear stuff up on purpose should be accepted. There are people who could ride atvs,have fun and do less damage to the road than a horseback rider, however there are the idiots that like to do donuts in the middle of a trail or at a historic site or in the middle of a swamp. There are also people who could drive a truck on 54" boggers (tallest DOT approved mud tire) and do little to no damage by driving threw a puddle rather than a truck on 33s that has to stuggle its way threw throwing mud and making ruts. I'm just saying it is possible. I also do understand the impact that assholes on powerful machines can do, maybe not to the extent that you do, but i get the drift and i do care. What i am getting at is just as you are going to your favorite spot you see it torn up by ATVs or trucks, you get pissed, upset, something, right, I would. However leaving that same spot is a guy who thought he seen ruins at the same spot on google earth. he's hiking threw the woods, walking on top of wintergreen, stirring up the swamps, breaking a few branches off of some huckleberry, until he gets back to the many trail. at this point he meets up with his and as they are walkiong the hikers buddy steps in a pile of horse shit. this guy is mad, really mad, so mad that he believes they should ban horse from being ridden back here.
Then along comes some dumb city moron who believes he a environmentalist just cause he got a year membership with the Sierra Club. He notices where the hiker came walking out of the woods so he does a little following (carefully on his tip toes)and sees the squished wintergreen, broken huckleberry, stirred up swamp and a stepped on frog that the hiker must have not noticed. At this point the little city boy is fuming in anger to see "his" woods destroyed and believes all hiking should be banned.
oooh lets not forget thehiker. he decides he going to do some hiking down the side of a popular canoe route. he notices beer can stuck in branches and even some fast food trash off to the side, howver there is no way the trash was placed were it is from land, must have been canoers. he gets pissed and believes canoeing should be banned because these people trash the waters.

So all of these guys, the reptile dude, the hikers friend, the enironmentalist and the hiker all contact there senators and let them know how these other people made them feel. However the senator could care less he's worried about politics and the stripclub that he's going to hit, he trashes there letters and gets ready to head out to the bar and is thinking to himself, would just make these people quit thier crying and whining???? what do you think it would be??

ZZ3GMC

Scout
Sep 19, 2003
Pemberton
Visit site
Thanks for the info from an insider and I agree for the most part that these events do little harm in the overall scheme of things. I am also impressed to hear of the post event cleanup. I do not want to see these events end, but there is room for improvement. As stated on earlier posts, the near blocking of roads is a major annoyance. This also leaves the perception that these groups are inconsiderate and forgetting about the rights of others. I don't think their intent is to block the roads, but it is done absent-mindedly. Rectifying this problem would be a big step towards allowing peaceful co-existence with others.
Just my 2 cents.
While working my clubs enduro a few weeks ago, I had the gas stop in my section. It was pretty busy with all the trucks and cars parked on each side of the dirt road. I did my best to keep the road as open as possible. Sometimes its tough to keep an eye on everything that is happening, I, along with 3 other sweep riders, had about a 10 mile section to patrol along with the gas stop. I put in about a hundred miles that weekend between set up, patrolling and clean up. Everytime I saw a truck blocking the road, I would politely ask them to move it. If they give us a hard time, we can have their rider disqualified. Thankfully, I havent had to do this. It is up to the event organizer to keep the roads clear, sometimes we are short handed and things, such as the absent mindedness of people, happen. We try extremely hard not to hinder anyone else's enjoyment of the pines.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I think that sort of attitude above is why I have no issues with the enduro guys....always pretty respectful, personable people.....I'm not sterotyping the other ORV guys but my expieriences with them haven't been great.

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
dragonco. you should really come along with me one day on one of the club rides with the club i run with. I'd think you enjoy yourself, be able to enlighten some of us and also get to meet a good group of 4x4 enthusiasts that aren't out there to destroy anything.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
While working my clubs enduro a few weeks ago, I had the gas stop in my section. It was pretty busy with all the trucks and cars parked on each side of the dirt road. I did my best to keep the road as open as possible. Sometimes its tough to keep an eye on everything that is happening, I, along with 3 other sweep riders, had about a 10 mile section to patrol along with the gas stop. I put in about a hundred miles that weekend between set up, patrolling and clean up. Everytime I saw a truck blocking the road, I would politely ask them to move it. If they give us a hard time, we can have their rider disqualified. Thankfully, I havent had to do this. It is up to the event organizer to keep the roads clear, sometimes we are short handed and things, such as the absent mindedness of people, happen. We try extremely hard not to hinder anyone else's enjoyment of the pines.

It wasn't absent mindedness, they ignored us when we asked. I appreciate your attempt but it's not working, and I can't disquailify them. Honestly, it was a very bad experience, and not the first year we experienced it.

Y-BUC-BILL

Explorer
Mar 9, 2007
Scott informed me of this discussion.Might as well give you my 2 cents.I first got involved in Motorcycle Enduros in 1947.That was back when it was the Wharton Estate.Leeson Small was the caretaker.The forest saw little use.Most of the activity took place during the six day deer firearm s season.If you rode on some of the roads the rest of the year,you might be the first to put tire tracks in that road in weeks if not months.Different story today.Remember the forest belongs to the people.The forest is now used for many types of recreation today.We should all respect each others type of recreation.Having said that.I have been involved in Enduros for the past 62 years.We are a responseable group of people.Our Enduros are sanctioned by the American Motorcycle Assn.and run under the rules of the ECEA.we carry a million dollars of insurance for the one day event.Curly Fern is run once a year.All the riders must have a drivers license[motorcycle],registration and insurance.There are a lot more things we do,but I won't bore you with the details.As for maybe blocking a road,did you ever think the riders might be coming down that road?I have used the forest to hunt,pick wild blue berries ahd just ride the roads.Please show your respect to who ever use's the forest