Do deer ticks "nest"

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Once in a while I end up in tick habitat unexpectantly, without having had chance to spray down first. For those occasions I try to keep some rolls of 2 or 3 inch wide masking tape in my office or truck. I wrap it around my palm and fingers a few times, sticky side out, and pat down the parts of my body I suspect got exposed to ticks. It's amazing how many of the larva/nymphs you can get off yourself this way without even seeing them. It works for both skin and clothing, and is especially effective for hairy leg types like me ( must be the Italian/Bulgarian makeup :))

What a great idea. I always spray down first, but this sounds like a great tip.

Aaron

Explorer
Jul 29, 2007
Sorry Woodjin, i origionally noticed them as soon as i got in the car, and was able to pull about 22 of them off my right leg, knee to hip, Those where still crawling, By the time i drove home 45 mins or so, the ones that had gotten under my socks had started to dig in and i was able to pull those out. Another hr later my wife got the ones that dug in on the back of my legs.

They where a about 2x the size of a period, and after i pulled them off me i could see them start walking again on my finger.

The areas that they where attatched on my feet beneath my socks are red and itchy as hell. I think they musta been chiggers. Feet so itchy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I could be wrong; however, I would bet they were chiggers. If they are itching you are in for a rough few days or more. Good luck!

Guy

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I have a question, (as I read this and scratch!). I just recently purchased Permithrin. Does it work for Chiggers as well as ticks? No ticks or Chiggers since I've used it, but I've also shied away from areas that looked like Chigger territory. The few ticks I've noticed fall off my pants leg.

Thanks,
Greg

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
I was sprayed down with it last time I was out, but still got a few chigger bites on my left ankle. I didn't spray my socks, but did spray my boots. Next time out I will spray my socks before I put my boots on.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
You definitely need to spray your socks (also your shoes) and tuck your pants into the socks to keep the chiggers away. I think it's pretty effective against chiggers, but not 100%. I've gotten a few bites this summer even with these precautions. The chiggers are so tiny, and there are so many of them, I think they can get through the open space between the threads in my socks.

I wear heavy wool socks treated with permethrin, I think the thin cotton ones are too easily penetrated by those little devils!

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
OK, thanks everyone. Chigger bites are the worst itch I've ever felt. They truly are little devils! Years ago, before permithrin, I wore chest waders to walk to my deer stand just to avoid Chigger bites.

Aaron

Explorer
Jul 29, 2007
Its my own stupid fault, i didnt use any chemical barriers this time out and i didnt dress properly, i was in work out gear and not woods gear. I wont be using those trails for working out anymore, ill stick to hiking there and jogging at the pavement parks:bang:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If you use Off on your pants and socks, it will kill them right away. You will never get chiggers wherever you spray that if you do it correctly.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Maybe Sue can enlighten us on this, but I thought DEET (Off) was just supposed to be a repellent and not an insecticide. I wonder if it's actually the alcohol or propellent in the spray which is killing them?

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
You're right Boyd, DEET is a repellent only. Permethrin is both a repellent and an insecticide. If I could just find a chemical that's not permethrin that has the repellend and insecticide activity, I could retire. One measly chemical.

Great repellents are impossible to find. *sigh*

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
So what's killing the chiggers - the alcohol? If so, then it might be better to spray that on them instead of DEET which *might* have some bad side effects. How about a plant spritzer with some rubbing alcohol in it?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
This reminds me of an old story. A number of years ago we rented a warehouse which had old furniture and bedding stored in it and was infested with fleas - something which we discovered unpleasantly after walking through.

When we had a contractor look at the place a few days later he also noticed the fleas and said "let me show you how to deal with that." He started up his truck and stood next to the exhaust pipe so it blasted his clothes. He said it worked every time, the carbon monoxide kills them.

Not sure whether or not I buy that, but it was amusing nonetheless...