Dumping in Pinelands / Crackdown needed

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I don't think Lima will get a slap on the wrist. The DEP has been stricter on enforcing the laws lately. I think there has been a change in the department's focus. I only say that because the first time in sixteen years I have had a state inspection with the DEP being concerned about our record and practices with chemical applications (turf). The two officials clearly stated that they are going to be fining individuals and businesses more.

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Ro and I were going from Whitesbog to Parker Preserve by way of Mt. Misery, when a bit east of Mt. Misery there was a truckoad of new trash on the left side of the road - couple of big mattresses, wooden cabinet, and a ton of small junk, shoes, etc.
Disgusting.....

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
I hope they throw the book at this person. I hope they fine him the max and then make him buy dumpsters and go cleanup other dump sites like his.

Glenn Walters

Explorer
Oct 2, 2013
How can anybody who lives in the Pines be miserable?

Amen to that Ben. I have a crazy job with crazy hours. That is why I do most of my exploring and pic posting during the week(except for that one crazy Sunday, lol) but can anyone tell me where I can find out when next cleanup is. I have no 4x4, but I have a strong back and 2 able hands. And most importantly I love the Pines. I work every weekend so please tell me all about a weekday event. I hate to say it. But we have to rely on our love for the Pines to keep them clean Sad as it is ...holes and courts are not going to do it for us.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
The 4x4 cleanup is once a year, around October. I'm not really sure who the official organizers of that are.

There's the Forked River Mountain cleanup that happens yearly, as well, in the spring. Bob or Chris can probably fill in the details better.

ericsanjuan

Dec 1, 2011
I remember in the early 1980s, the unpaved road locals in Lakehurst call Dace Road (it's Union Road or Union Avenue on maps) used to be the local dumping ground. It ran up to an unused back gate to the base, and a 1/2 mile to 3/4 mile stretch of it was as piled with stuff as a dump or junkyard. Entire sets of furniture, refrigerators, a few abandoned cars, stoves, construction debris, and hundreds of bags of stuff. It was pretty appalling.

I don't recall the exact year, maybe '82 or so, but Manchester finally came in and cleared all that stuff away. Took them a while because there was so much. I always wondered how they let it get to that point in the first place.

Anyway, I've little patience for people who use the Barrens as a dumping ground. This is a unique and (mostly) pristine area. Let's keep it that way.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Let's hope this helps. But I'm always skeptical...

Mark Texel, the director of the state’s park service, said Friday that the state will start a major crackdown early next year to stop people from using open spaces as personal trash cans

Driving down Hesstown Road (a County Route) through Peaslee WMA yesterday, somebody had dumped a sofa and chairs right next to the road. Didn't even bother to drive off into the woods. I have seen this a number of times on that road. Oh well, I guess it's more likely to be removed when it's right beside the main road...

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Last month a sofa and bed on the side of Carranza road. I guess the township picked it up. They could have put it in front of any Tabernacle house on trash day and it would have been taken. They dump logs and brush at the RR tracks. If they took it into the Batona Camp the campers would love it, they burn everything, even the trash bags that are provided.

Reactions: Teegate