Evacuated From Atsion

Fitz

Mar 28, 2007
Due to the torrential rainfall, rangers asked that we evacuate Cabin #1 on Atsion Lake this afternoon; within 1/2 hour! Big disappointment, as we love our yearly trip to Atsion, but I know they have to keep safety first. Water from the lake had come up below our porch, which would have made a great dock for our canoe.
We'll be back next year!
Fitz

Due to the torrential rainfall, rangers asked that we evacuate Cabin #1 on Atsion Lake this afternoon; within 1/2 hour! Big disappointment, as we love our yearly trip to Atsion, but I know they have to keep safety first. Water from the lake had come up below our porch, which would have made a great dock for our canoe.
We'll be back next year!
Fitz

Welcome aboard.
Sorry to hear your vacation was rained on. They are giving your money back, aren't they?

Steve

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Wow,
Pretty good topic for a first post. Bet it got hairy out there.
Not cool man, but you did get to see some serious rain out over the lake I'll bet. Looks like you've kept your sense of humor about it. Hope the rest of your time off goes better. You did not travel far for this did you?
Welcome!

G.

Fitz

Mar 28, 2007
I'm sorry, I should have introduced myself for my first post; I've been lurking I guess, enjoying the forum very much. Great information, and a great bunch of folks.
I'm from Staten Island, but I've been coming to the Pine Barrens for as long as I can remember. My dad was born in Gloucester City, went to school at St. Joes in Philly, but moved to NY in the 50's. But we always came to the Pine Barrens in the summer, camping, fishing and hiking. At the end of most trips, we would go east to Ocean City or LBI and surf fish; great memories..
As I got older, I discovered HC Beck, John McPhee etc. and really got interested in the history of the Pines, particularly the iron industry, and I guess thats why I love Atsion so much. I can't walk down Quaker Bridge Road without being transported back to the 1840's, and being a guest of Jesse Richards. A lot of people ask what the paperweight on my desk is, and I get to explain the origins of the artful piece of slag from Atsion Forge.

At least twice a year, my wife and I get down to the Pines for a stay, and love it! Most of the summer we spend on our sailboat in Great Kills Harbor (Raritan Bay), but the spring and fall are perfect for us to explore the Pine Barrens.

Again, thanks for having us, I look forward to reading and contributing to the board!
Best,
Joe Fitzpatrick

mike242424

Explorer
Feb 17, 2007
Tabernacle
Were off Carranza in Tabernacle and we just had a little water come in our basement. My names Mike and i too am new to this site. Hopefully i will be having good discussions with everyone on the site in the near future.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Were off Carranza in Tabernacle and we just had a little water come in our basement. My names Mike and i too am new to this site. Hopefully i will be having good discussions with everyone on the site in the near future.

Hi Mike.

That photo of the bear is striking. Was that in PA or NY?

mike242424

Explorer
Feb 17, 2007
Tabernacle
hey bobpbx,

Its actually up in canada(nova scotia) August of last year we took a trip up there and drove the coastal roads. some areas went inland a bit and thats where we saw that bear. Beautiful country up there