Exploring the Lost Lake at Colliers Mills

joc

Explorer
May 27, 2010
Wall, NJ
Ben - Enjoyed it very much.Very well written .You bring up a good point .To experience the Pines , a person does not need to be in Wharton , out by Chatsworth , etc .I live in Wall . Not that most would consider Wall /So Monmouth area to be the Pines , but my point is you can enjoy the ecosystems, culture and history of the Pines in more than the "core " area.My father - in law lives out by Lakehurst /Manchester .Maybe someday i'll stock up on Deet and try to find it ! Thanks.
Joe

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Thanks Ben,

Colliers Mill Wildlife Management Area has special meaning to me too. This is one of the cool Pinelands places I used to woo my wife, eventually proposing to her at its Success Lake. Heaven knows I needed all the help I could get.

Much of the NJ Outer Coastal Plain is in my opinion Pine Barrens, as are outliers in Middlesex, Monmouth, and Salem Counties. Even isolated hilltops around Clarkburg and Perrineville can be remarkable Pine Barrens like. Sandy soil and pine trees, perfect together.

For inspiration look at the Figure 4 map “Outline of the Pine Barrens” in the Introduction to Forman’s classic volume Pine Barrens Ecosystem and Landscape, (page xl). The original was published by botanists McCormick and Andresen (1963) for “The role of Pinus virginiana Mill” in the Audubon Society’s NJ Nature News. Overemphasizing the Core Area diminishes the significance of the rest of the Pine Barrens, areas every bit as worthy of our admiration.

S-M

joc

Explorer
May 27, 2010
Wall, NJ
I used to live in Wall a long, long time ago.

It's not the Pines, but Southern Monmouth has a lot of really nice wooded rural areas, especially around Allaire.
I grew up in No . Jersey , South of Asbury is the Pines to me !:) A lot has changed , they have built up in certain areas .Wall , in general does do a good job of preserving open space .Its' actually only 1 of 2 "Preserve America" municipalities in NJ . I spend a lot of time @Allaire , Shark River, Manasquan Reservoir and out @ Turkey Swamp .I'm thinking of trying Double Trouble down in Ocean over next 2 weeks.

Aug 28, 2012
Jackson, NJ
I live in, and Patrolled Jackson Twp. hence I've spent a boat load of time in Colliers Mills WMA. I enjoyed reading this article, but admit I got lost following your directions. The road that leads from Archers Corner to Colliers Mills is Hawkin Rd. Once it turns to dirt you could follow it to Rt 539, but with the Mega Base this road has been fenced off.
Going back to High Bridge, I believe I've been to the ruins you were seeking. On High Bridge Rd. before the bridge and just after the school there is a concealed Road to the left. This road will take you behind some houses along Rt 571, and will come out on 571. The ruins will be on your right. If you cross High Bridge and make your first left, you'll pass a hunting lodge, then parallel some old bogs, keeping straight will lead you to the fence of Lakehurst NAS, if you can get through. I have no clue where the lost lake is.
P.S. I grew up in Princeton, NJ Know it well.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Ben
That looks like an old road that passes to the north of it or at least an old dune/island that may have an old road following it.I have only been in that area once and I basically drove back to Success lake and that was it.A little north of my normal wanderings.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I think there's a dune to the west of it. If you look at the 1930's maps it shows what might be roads. It's been a long time since I've been back there, but I do remember thinking that the area around the "lake" was pretty clear like a road had been back there a long time ago.

The "lake" really isn't that big:

May 8, 2005 - Colliers Mills WMA Explore 066.jpg

May 8, 2005 - Colliers Mills WMA Explore 064.jpg

So weird to think that I first went back there seven years ago. It really doesn't feel like it's been that long.

More pics from that hike: http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com/showgallery.php/cat/316

Reactions: John

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I think so. I don't remember finding anything there.

I don't remember where the other ruins were. I had them marked in my old GPS, but they're long gone. I know it was on the other side of the WMA near the Lakehurst border.

Aug 28, 2012
Jackson, NJ
Those are the only ruins on that side that I know of. That dirt road wanders it's way almost to toms river with a few detours.
There's an old bridge here. Don't drive on it the deck is not strong enough anymore. A Firetruck broke thru while on a search and rescue, they thought they were going to loose it, but she was saved. This road was known as Alligator Rd. The press used it to enter NAS when the Hindenburg went down. It's unguarded and leads right on base.
http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=40.047279366648546&lng=-74.33478355407715&z=16&type=topo&gpx=
POW Camp from WWII.
http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=40.05380023365758&lng=-74.28684711456299&z=16&type=topo&gpx=
What's the year of this map? There's RR tracks here and the POW camp was along side the tracks.