Exploring The Plains Branch

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Guy
You probably came out near the abandoned house on an over grown sand road?
The trail heads West along 72 on that sand road then takes a turn to the South to go around the Tiki Shack property then turns West again. Eventually comes back out to the county boundary.

Jeff
Very similar but not quite as nice and yes a killing field area loaded with old, old corn cobs. The chair is probably from Lakehurst as it is Navy gray and is the same type of office chairs still used today. LOL

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We did come out at that house and visted it. The kids that lived there must have had a strange life :siren:

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
So it was a different dug out! How about that. The dug out pictured is on the other side of 72 way deep in there. The owner of the Tiki shack used to be a student of mine (I'm a guitar teacher). Nice guy, he was a retired CEO of some large financial firm, I can't remember which. He moved to FL. (I think) and was having a hard time selling the place.

Jeff

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Here is a pic of the chair inside

Jeff

Westplains_12-03-06_023.jpg
Jeff I found a hunter hooch put together just like this south of 72 and corn cobs all over also,it had fell apart.the roof was made out of yellow foam which i seen on birds eye and went to check it out.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I suspect the same hunter was setting up a bunch of dug outs in that area which would explain the similarites we are seeing. Here is a photo of the corn cobs from that day/dug out. you can see how old they were then. still attacting wildlife though (of the rodent and canine variety
Westplains_12-03-06_024.jpg

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Jefff
Interesting about knowing the former owner. Did he sell to a private party or to the State as part of Bass River North? I didn't confirm but Reelboys was talking to Cynthia, super of Bass River and said the house is owned by Bass River but they have no money to tear it down. I would think they would ask the local fire co. to burn it just like they do with any gun clubs they buy.
Yes, different hunter hooch, good name. The one on the trail appears much older and the corn cobs older. He had a trail from 72 that is over grown. I don't need the exact location, but is your hooch along the Yellow Dam branch, South side?

Al
Another one? Sounds like the same hunter, busy, busy, but the one we found has been out of use for quite some time. Speaking of Birds Eye. I saw something on one of the views a while back that has my interest. It's a little off the trail, sort of SE of where the billboard was by the Tiki shack. It looks shiny and square. Been meaning to check out but haven't had the chance.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Speaking of Birds Eye. I saw something on one of the views a while back that has my interest. It's a little off the trail, sort of SE of where the billboard was by the Tiki shack. It looks shiny and square. Been meaning to check out but haven't had the chance.

I just noticed that as well. I thought maybe that was the dug out you were referring to. I guess not.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Jefff
Interesting about knowing the former owner. Did he sell to a private party or to the State as part of Bass River North? I didn't confirm but Reelboys was talking to Cynthia, super of Bass River and said the house is owned by Bass River but they have no money to tear it down. I would think they would ask the local fire co. to burn it just like they do with any gun clubs they buy.
Yes, different hunter hooch, good name. The one on the trail appears much older and the corn cobs older. He had a trail from 72 that is over grown. I don't need the exact location, but is your hooch along the Yellow Dam branch, South side?

When he left state he still owned it so I don't know anything beyond that. I think he was looking for $300,000 around that time. I couldn't give you the exact location of the hooch (is that what you call it?) if I wanted to, but I am certain I could find it again. It is between Yellow dam and 72 but not along the yellow dam.

Jeff

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Jefff

Al
Another one? Sounds like the same hunter, busy, busy, but the one we found has been out of use for quite some time. Speaking of Birds Eye. I saw something on one of the views a while back that has my interest. It's a little off the trail, sort of SE of where the billboard was by the Tiki shack. It looks shiny and square. Been meaning to check out but haven't had the chance.

I don't see anything southeast of the Tiki Shack but the blind I'm speaking of is here
http://binged.it/ykYVSJ

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Jeff
I imagine the owner then paid to tear the building down and clear the land. I just assumed the State bought it since the for sale sign was also removed.
Al used the word hooch, and I thought that's a good name for these things.
OK, that's the area I was asking about. There's a trail I found a couple years ago that I never fully explored. I plan on doing an "inventory" of that area, time and conditions permitting.

Al
That's a great find since you can only see it in the South view? Looks like another hooch with the killing field in front. But no that's not the area Jeff and I are talking about. It appears to be a reflection of something.
Well, just learned something. Appears the Birdseye images are out of date. The Tiki shack and billboard pilings have been gone for about 2 1/2 years now but Birdseye still shows them. Also contrary to what I previously said about the square reflection, you cannot see in Birdseye but ONLY in the current Bing view which is more up to date. Let's see if I can do this.

http://binged.it/z7o54r