Field behind Pasadena?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Bullock is actually a mans name (A. Bullock). He owned quite a bit of property in the area of Mt. Misery Road and Pasadena Road. I have a survey map of the Bullock area that shows much of the property he owned. One such place is this cranberry bog.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...274&spn=0.006471,0.014119&t=k&om=1&iwloc=addr

There were stone's inscribed A.B. on all of the corners of that property and I looked for them unsuccessfully. That is private but all the property around it is Lebanon. I did find one Lebanon monument with the owner of the property actually showing me where it was.

A. Bullock also owned this piece of property.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...4.448906&spn=0.006472,0.014119&t=k&iwloc=addr

And there are others in the area he also owned. Much of that was a fruit farm called Summit Fruit Farm which is the name of the survey map I have.

So to answer your question...no.

Guy

ebsi2001

Explorer
May 2, 2006
southern NJ
Bullock is actually a mans name (A. Bullock). He owned quite a bit of property in the area of Mt. Misery Road and Pasadena Road. I have a survey map of the Bullock area that shows much of the property he owned. One such place is this cranberry bog.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...274&spn=0.006471,0.014119&t=k&om=1&iwloc=addr

There were stone's inscribed A.B. on all of the corners of that property and I looked for them unsuccessfully. That is private but all the property around it is Lebanon. I did find one Lebanon monument with the owner of the property actually showing me where it was.

A. Bullock also owned this piece of property.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...4.448906&spn=0.006472,0.014119&t=k&iwloc=addr

And there are others in the area he also owned. Much of that was a fruit farm called Summit Fruit Farm which is the name of the survey map I have.

So to answer your question...no.

Guy

All I get to see is a highly stylized map of Chatsworth with the Chatsworth Lake. :(

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...=0.006472,0.014119&t=k&iwloc=addr&output=html

Nice, but no bogs ---or much of anything else... ??? :confused:

ebsi

P.S.: Thanks for the effort, Guy! :jd:

e.

The Townsend / Wheatland clay operations, and the Brooksbrae operations all utilized small steam-powered narrow gauge railroad engines called either "mule" or "donkey" engines. These were small engines that ran on narrow rails (easier to pick-up and move when necessary) whose main utility was to convey raw clay and sand from local areas nearby to the factory. The raw materials were even moved around the factories by these small railroads. In addition, due to the later date of the Brooksbrae Works (ca. 1905), the company utilized an internal rail system that would convey raw materials as well as green, dry, and fired bricks around the operation. These small rails would even carry the bricks to a siding for loading onto rail cars. Scott W.

Folks:

Narrow-gauge locomotives such as those that A.A. Adams used to haul clay from Old Half Way to Woodmansie (the ties of which Beck described driving on in Forgotten Towns of Southern New Jersey) were often known as dinkys or dinkeys, but never donkeys or mules. A donkey or mule is a portable boiler (usually upright) and engine mounted on a skid that could be dragged from location to location as needed. Often these donkey engines would be used in logging operations with a winch to drag logs to the sawmill or a nearby stream. Obviously, these donkey engines had many other applications beyond the lumbering industry. As described, some brick production plants used locomotives to haul dump cars with clay and/or sand from the clay and sandpits back to the plant for processing. However, the narrow-gauge tracks within the Brooksbrae plant operated with specialty pushcars and locomotives did NOT run on these rails. The Philadelphia-based Chambers Brothers Company, a manufacturer of brickmaking equipment and the company that furnished the Brooksbrae plant, fabricated a wide variety of pushcars for brickyards. Workers would stack these cars with brick at the continuous extruding machine and then push the cars into the drying tunnels before being moved into the kilns. If the workers created trains of cars, then they employed a horse or mule to pull the train into the tunnels and to the kilns, but not a steam locomotive. Chambers Brothers also manufactured the dump cars used to haul the clay and sand. For those of you who possess an original edition of Beck's Forgotten Towns (1936), you will find a photograph of Beck and his compatriots standing in front of a narrow gauge locomotive, a diminutive steam engine with possible Baldwin or H.K. Porter origins. Beck describes finding two such locomotives near Woodmansie in his text. Chances are these two engines belonged to the Adams Clay Mining Company clay operations at Old Half Way and not to the Brooksbrae Brick Company. It is currently unclear whether Brooksbrae ever actually owned or operated a narrow-gauge locomotive at their plant.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
The links Guy posted show satellite photos, but your link just shows a simple map with no option to display the photos. Strange. Are you perhaps using an older computer or an old web browser that doesn't work properly with Google's maps?

Bullock is actually a mans name (A. Bullock). He owned quite a bit of property in the area of Mt. Misery Road and Pasadena Road. I have a survey map of the Bullock area that shows much of the property he owned. One such place is this cranberry bog.Guy

Guy:

Bullock's given name was Anthony and he first established the stop along the Central Railroad of New Jersey in 1885 to ship cranberries.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

ebsi2001

Explorer
May 2, 2006
southern NJ
The links Guy posted show satellite photos, but your link just shows a simple map with no option to display the photos. Strange. Are you perhaps using an older computer or an old web browser that doesn't work properly with Google's maps?

Yup! Thank's, Boyd: That's probably the problem. Currently, I run WIN98 SE, and IE 5.5... :D

ebsi

ebsi2001

Explorer
May 2, 2006
southern NJ
ebsi:

The Central Railroad of New Jersey milepost for Pasadena station was 76.4 (a distance measured from the CNJ's terminal in Jersey City). Bullock station stood at 77.7 and Woodmansie at 79.2. Bullock was a freight-only station erected in 1885 and razed in 1926.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Many thanks, Jerseyman, now I have a much better idea of the area! :)

ebsi

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy:

Bullock's given name was Anthony and he first established the stop along the Central Railroad of New Jersey in 1885 to ship cranberries.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Thanks Jerseyman! I will write that on the back of the survey.

Guy

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Hi All,

The cleared field behind the ruins at Pasadena--did there used to be houses/a town back there? Does anyone know why it's cleared off in such a perfect rectangle?

Thanks--Gopher

On a trip there in 1987, a friend of mine found an arrow head on the edge of that field.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I will be going there in the coming weeks looking for property stones. Hopefully they are still there.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nope. Incidentally, most of the ruins at Pasadena/Wheatland (aside from the brick factory) are across the road.

I have a copy of a map that shows the Burlington County border before it was altered in the area of Warren Grove to it's present location. This had to be before the 1850's or so. It shows one house across the road from Mt Misery road near Brooksbrae and the owner was a W. Harris.

This map is 6 foot long and 1 foot wide.

Guy

diggersw

Scout
Dec 4, 2003
Freehold Area
Visit site
I don't think Brooksbrae ever went into operation.

Ben,

You are correct. Brooksbrae never went into operation. And, it is interesting that Jerseyman mentions the Adams Clay Mining Company, since the Brooksbrae plant was actually a spin-off owned by one of the company's officers. Brooksbrae was an attempt to keep the clay operations afloat after their primary customer, the Hydraulic Press Brick Company, located at Winslow Junction, purchased their own clay pits. However, the Brooksbrae attempt failed.

In response to the non-existent "dinky" rail, there are concrete stanchions that ran in between the Brooksbrae factory and the Adams Clay pits.

Just some food for thought.

Scott W.