Fish Factory

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Last Friday Bernie Knaupp, Ro, and I went birding at Oyster Creek/Leeds Point, Brigantine/Forsythe NWR, and Great Bay Blvd. Saw/they photoed Snowy Owl, Eagles, etc. Views from Brig showed drastic changes in surroundings from Hurricane Sandy, Fish Factory in particular. Took following picture of ruined ruins from Great Bay Blvd.
-3.jpg

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Ro and I were down on Great Bay Boulevard admiring migrating Monarchs and Herons yesterday. I thought the Fish Factory profile looked different/lower, so I asked Ro to take pictures with her new telephoto lens. Here's the results. Looks like a good place to stay out of while it falls apart...
-1.jpg
-2.jpg

Reactions: Boyd and John

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I live within seconds of this view and have watched the deteriation sadly over the years. Many with no love of history consider it a mere eyesore, but aside from being a local historical landmark, it has served as a reference point for boaters and a nesting site for osprey, peregrine falcons and even owls, which used the interior of the larger structures.

Reactions: h2ochild

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Did you take pictures over the years? It would make an interesting time lapse.

I've taken a few of the factory since living there but rarely from the same spot. I've had regrets of not doing that. I've likewise always intended to take a series of photos from the same vantage point elsewhere after a major forest fire, to document the regrowth, but I always seem to let other tasks get in the way.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Still, it would be fun to see them. I too have realized too late what I let go by. But before digital photography I did not think that way.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Thanks for posting, I have not been out there for quite awhile. Here's a shot I took a long time ago, date on the file is not correct but I think it was around 2000. Quite a difference!

fish1.jpg

And this one is from 2009.

fish2.jpg

Reactions: John

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Nice shots Boyd. The earlest photos of my own I found were taken about the time I moved to Little Egg in 88 but the factory looks about the same. All mine from that time are on 35mm slides however. I've never converted them :argh:. Someday!

Barry_Timony

Feb 17, 2016
Forked River
The island is heavily posted and quite visible from the Coast guard station,it's also covered with Poison Ivy,other then these draw backs it would be an excellent explore.

how long has it been posted for? I have always heard that the Coast Guard doesn't mind if you go there as long as you are not doing anything illegal or disruptive? And, in terms of the poison ivy, wearing long sleeves, pants, etc. would be ample defense, would it not?