Fishing help

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
That sounds like typical chain side behavior. When they get cooking it gets pretty crazy doesn't it. They are aggressive. There are so many places to explore fishing out there, I love it. You will find a few spots that are home to some real monsters. They are out there. You ought to check out my thread "chubsuckers unlimited" in the nature and environment topic, you might find it interesting.

Jeff

Windsor

Scout
Aug 11, 2005
Somerdale
Jeff,

Yes, I read that thread and it was very interesting. I had no idea that there were chubsuckers in the Pines. In fact, the only fish that I have pulled out so far are Pickerel, Largemouth Bass and Bluegill.

I started fishing the Pines early this year, before I found this site. I had no idea that Chiggers were such a problem or that they even existed. So, I would go in some shorts, low cut socks and running shoes. I never used bug spray of any kind and have never had a problem. It surprises me because I'd be standing on a bank in the midst of a ton of weeks, brush, etc. With all this recent Chigger talk, I'm paranoid now! :(

Reactions: Fish1952

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
does anyone know of good catfishing spots not too far from my area im in tabernacle? Any info would be great thanks mike

Mike,
I usually don't go for cats specifically but I'll give you some places I've caught them. 1)atsion lake (near the shoreline at dusk)2) Presidental lake near the bridge (not route 70), they drained the lake but there might still be water at the bridge in the development. It is/was a catfish haven, crazy amounts of catfsh.3)Lebanon lake.

I think all of the lakes have an abundance of catfish. They are in the bogs and streams also but are harder to catch due to the visability of the bait on the bottom. If you can locate a sandy bottom you are better off.

Jeff

May 3, 2008
South Jersey
I used to fish at Oswego lake from my kayak. The largest pickerel I’ve ever caught was 28” and There was also my first 27.5” pickerel caught which got me hooked into searching for bigger pickerel. I never entered that woodshed contest but I did have my largest checked in at Lees Pine barren stove store on route 72. Lee Pinardo Sr. was a very good friend of mine. I learned so much from him. I haven’t given up I’m still trying to beat Frank McGoverns record some day. I wish someone had a photo of his record fish he caught in 1957.
Dennis

Attachments

• IMG_0562.jpeg
    IMG_0562.jpeg
    680.7 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0563.jpeg
    IMG_0563.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 56

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Frank Mcgovern, 11, of Medford Lakes, will receive an outboard motor for his pickerel catch last July 6 which has been declared a world record.
The youthful angler caught a nine pound three ounce eastern chain pickerel in lower Aetna Lake near his home.

National Wildlife Magazine said the catch was a record for the species.

Previous record holder was Russell Trimble, of Green Pond, who caught a nine-pounder, January 5, 1948.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I used to be a pickerel fisherman Guy, did that article on McGovern show a photo?
No. I tried looking for quite a while and came up empty. I even searched National Wildlife Magazine without results. Maybe there was one in the actual magazine but someone would need to have that issue.

Fish1952

Oct 28, 2023
One day about 10 years ago; me, my buddy Don, and my son Nick caught about 100 in 4 hours. But; every one was 15" or less, with most in the 13'" range. Good fun though. Bigger ones are there but wily. My largest in Bamber was 19". I have lately seen bass here, one kid caught a four pounder 3 years ago.

My neighbor's kid got a couple pickeral at 25" inches many years ago, and an old piney friend used to tell the old saw about an army guy from Fort Dix who caught one 32" long using bologna. He used to say, "yeah, there are big ones in there, they can open their mouth wide as the top of a mason jar. Swallow a duck whole".

How much is the license this year Jeff? I used to buy them, but in 20 years I never got checked, so lately I just fished.
What area of Bamber Lake is best to try Fishing I wanna bring the children. Thank you..

Fish1952

Oct 28, 2023
Jeff,

Yes, I read that thread and it was very interesting. I had no idea that there were chubsuckers in the Pines. In fact, the only fish that I have pulled out so far are Pickerel, Largemouth Bass and Bluegill.

I started fishing the Pines early this year, before I found this site. I had no idea that Chiggers were such a problem or that they even existed. So, I would go in some shorts, low cut socks and running shoes. I never used bug spray of any kind and have never had a problem. It surprises me because I'd be standing on a bank in the midst of a ton of weeks, brush, etc. With all this recent Chigger talk, I'm paranoid now! :(
Be very careful in the pines in summer the Chigger bites are NOT a good thing and take weeks to over come they are small and get into every part of you...believe me I learned my lesson the hard way OUCH!!

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
FWIW, the post you responded to was made in 2005 and the author has not visited the site since 2011. :)

But you're right, chigger bites are hell. Only thing is, there aren't any chiggers in the Pines. Or so I'm told. :D But seriously, what we've all been calling chiggers are apparently baby ticks. See the discussion here and the links that Bob posted.

Reactions: Fish1952

Fish1952

Oct 28, 2023
FWIW, the post you responded to was made in 2005 and the author has not visited the site since 2011. :)

But you're right, chigger bites are hell. Only thing is, there aren't any chiggers in the Pines. Or so I'm told. :D But seriously, what we've all been calling chiggers are apparently baby ticks. See the discussion here and the links that Bob posted.
They are microscopic little things that you can hardly see..they will even get inside your pants, up your legs & anywhere it is warm & damp....you dont feel the bite at first but later on you will break out with bumps,& blister pimples etc, etc, that are very itchy.....do not scratch or you'll break them open and the liquid will spread all over your body.......you have to buy & use Chigger Rid and put a drop on EVERY SINGLE Bite...its like Clear Nail Polish which Isolates the blister & sought of numbs the itch a bit...lasts about 2 weeks before it goes away.......

More Info here..

RJG

Scout
Nov 19, 2023
Sea Isle City, NJ
I have hiked over 10k miles in the pines and I have had some unpleasant encounters with what I’m fairly certain were chiggers. A quick Google search will confirm the NJ Pine Barrens is within their range.

It’s been my observation and unpleasant experience that the worst month for chiggers, or what some believe are tick larvae, is September. Have you ever noticed that you don’t get these types of multiple bites after a freeze? Chiggers won’t survive a freeze, but ticks do. If these multiple bites were from tick larvae wouldn’t they start occurring again when the temperature warmed up to 60-75 degrees as it often does in November? I have never had these bites after a freeze, and I hike 300-500 miles in the Pine Barrens during Nov-April.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
My home is way off the road, back in the woods with uplands, wetlands and a creek. I'm out there for hours every day and have (unfortunately) gotten quite familiar with what are commonly called "chiggers" around here. Beyond that, you guys can figure out what those little monsters actually are. @bobpbx and @manumuskin have made convincing cases (I'm sold) that they're actually ticks, so I suspect they'll have something to add here.

Last edited:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
My home is way off the road, back in the woods with uplands, wetlands and a creek. I'm out there for hours every day and have (unfortunately) gotten quite familiar with what are commonly called "chiggers" around here. Beyond that, you guys can figure out what those little monsters actually are. @bobpbx and @manumuskin have made convincing cases (I'm sold) that they're actually ticks, so I suspect they'll have something to add here.
Nothing to add Boyd, you're doing fine.

Show me the chigger boys, and then I'll believe.

Reactions: Boyd