** flags at Vet cemeteries

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Scouts will not be placing flags for this Memorial Day.

A Memorial Day weekend tradition to honor veterans has been canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic. The Department of Veterans Affairs on Tuesday announced it will prohibit public events at national cemeteries during the holiday weekend.

This includes groups, like Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts, placing American flags at gravesites.

Cemetery Mem Day 2010 021.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: manumuskin

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
It would be so simple to have the scouts spaced on alternating rows and wear a mask and let it be the parents decision. I bought a bunch of flags today and will be at Coyle next week to take care of family and friends.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
My sportsmen's club is trying to figure out a compliant way to conduct our annual Memorial Day ceremony.

We have been conducting our weekly meetings using Zoom and it will be a discussion topic tonight.
Tonight is our 4,580th consecutive weekly meeting. Every Thursday night since 1938 !
I can safely say that I haven't been there for quite all of them. :)

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Well, we moved to re-schedule our full Memorial Day tribute to a date when our facilities will be fully open. Our ceremony has always included a 21-gun salute and one of our Marine Corps Vets playing Taps by bugle from across our lake. It is all followed by a barbecue.
If we moved forward without the barbecue, the gathering would, at a minimum, require the use of our clubhouse for restrooms and we are concerned with our overall visibility while conducting the event.

As the Board Chairman, I asked that our minutes reflect that we are following the recent action taken by the Department of Veterans Affairs in canceling our event and NOT the orders of Murphy.

bicycle tim

Scout
Jun 9, 2018
tabernacle, nj
Just talked to the folks at Delaware Veteran's Memorial Cemetery. Flags are being installed today, same as in prior years. Not putting up flags was deemed to be a suggestion, not a requirement.

Reactions: RednekF350

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Just talked to the folks at Delaware Veteran's Memorial Cemetery. Flags are being installed today, same as in prior years. Not putting up flags was deemed to be a suggestion, not a requirement.

This is from the Department of Veterans Affairs, Washington DC. It is specific to 'group' placement of the flags, as is done at Doyle here in NJ. It does not restrict cemetery personnel from placing flags, as seems to be what is being done in Delaware. Doyle is a very large VA cemetery, I doubt they have the personnel to do it themselves.

Other public events typically associated with Memorial Day at national cemeteries, including group placement of flags at gravesites, will not take place. However, all VA national cemeteries will be open Memorial Day weekend from dawn to dusk for public visitation.

Will have to see if it will be done at Arlington as they have active military place the flags.

Last edited:
Reactions: RednekF350

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Not many Scouts are over the age of 20. Perhaps there are, none that I am aware of.

The Department of Veteran affairs said That they’re prohibiting events at national cemeteries on Memorial Day. Scouts aren’t directly targeted. You’re harping on the scouts because it makes it seem like something sinister is going on.

it’s entirely reasonable to think that the elderly would be out at those cemeteries on Memorial Day, not just the scouts.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
You’re harping on the scouts because it makes it seem like something sinister is going on.
Harping, sinister? Your post surprises me. Just pointing out that a tradition that has spanned many decades has ended for no good reason. The Scouts are the only individuals that place the flags at the VA cemetery, I have no doubt they are responsible enough to follow the covid19 restrictions. The beaches will be open to everyone regardless of age on Memorial day, please explain how that is safer. This is not a political issue, just one of respect. If it is so offensive, move it to the slag heap.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
No good reason? There's a world wide pandemic that is killing a lot of people, and the best way to prevent transmission is by staying home, staying distant, and wearing masks. Events at veterans cemeteries will draw a lot of people who are high risk.

The decision to open the beaches happened because they knew people would flock there anyway. We already have armed protestors showing up at state capitals so who knows what people will do if they're kept from the beach. It's, frankly, a stupid decision, but here we are.

This doesn't just affect the scouts, but what you're saying seems to imply that this was a decision made to purposely disrespect the people who died in service of their country. I think it's entirely possible to honor those people without having to put little flags on their grave for a year.

Harping, sinister? Your post surprises me. Just pointing out that a tradition that has spanned many decades has ended for no good reason. The Scouts are the only individuals that place the flags at the VA cemetery, I have no doubt they are responsible enough to follow the covid19 restrictions. The beaches will be open to everyone regardless of age on Memorial day, please explain how that is safer. This is not a political issue, just one of respect. If it is so offensive, move it to the slag heap.

I think it is vital to understand that traditional/emotional/political decisions are different from policies based on epidemiology.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I visited the cemetery yesterday and the flags have been placed by a group of volunteers that included some Scouts. :D

Congratulations, you must feel proud.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I visited the cemetery yesterday and the flags have been placed by a group of volunteers that included some Scouts. :D

I was a Boy Scout for several years and we were a pretty ragged group. Our Troop leader was an active reserve US Navy Officer and he worked hard to keep us in line. He also took every opportunity to instill patriotism in us. I know if I was in Troop 124 today, we would have been at Doyle.

I can recite the Scout Law from memory to this day and I would say that the Scouts that helped at Doyle hit on several tenets of the Law. The most pertinent being: trustworthy, loyal, helpful, kind, brave and reverent.

USA !!