Flo's Tavern ???

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
I thought this would be a nice peice of history to investigate. Years ago I recieved a gift certificate from Burlington County Times for some contest I entered. I never used the certificate but now truely wish I had. It was for dinner at Flo's Tavern. This tavern is in Hainsport at a dead end street on the right going towards Moorestown, on the Marne Highway. I did eat there a few years prior to receiving the certificate. Don't remember what I had but very dark and cosy atmosphere. Well I was in the area the other day and decided to go check it out. It is closed up! Broken windows, some windows still had neon signs and party lights hanging on the outside. It looked like it had been closed for a long time. The bar looks very old and sits along the river, I believe the Rancocus. Its not really part of the pinelands, but I bet it offers a great peice of history!

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
It is funny how some establishments close up and it looks like they just closed the doors and walked away. Like they left in a hurry. Sounds like an interesting place, never heard of it before.

I thought this would be a nice peice of history to investigate. Years ago I recieved a gift certificate from Burlington County Times for some contest I entered. I never used the certificate but now truely wish I had. It was for dinner at Flo's Tavern. This tavern is in Hainsport at a dead end street on the right going towards Moorestown, on the Marne Highway. I did eat there a few years prior to receiving the certificate. Don't remember what I had but very dark and cosy atmosphere. Well I was in the area the other day and decided to go check it out. It is closed up! Broken windows, some windows still had neon signs and party lights hanging on the outside. It looked like it had been closed for a long time. The bar looks very old and sits along the river, I believe the Rancocus. Its not really part of the pinelands, but I bet it offers a great peice of history!

Suresue:

Flo's closed down in 2005, as I recall, and represents the last establishment to occupy a building and grounds long known as Shady Rest Inn, a resort that offered swimming, boating, canoeing, dining, dancing, and other attractions for revelers along the Rancocas Creek. It's a real shame that a buyer could not be found for the place to continue the traditions and heritage that this road house holds.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
Wow Jerseyman! One would think with all that history it would be in one of the South Jersey books, but maybe it isn't old enough. I am going to do a google search and see what comes up. There must be photos floating around somewhere of the tavern's better years. If one has never seen the place it is worth the trip, but sad to see such a great place going to ruins. It makes me think of the Prirates Inn, another resturant which I heard closed down.

Oct 25, 2006
Suresue:

Flo's closed down in 2005, as I recall, and represents the last establishment to occupy a building and grounds long known as Shady Rest Inn, a resort that offered swimming, boating, canoeing, dining, dancing, and other attractions for revelers along the Rancocas Creek. It's a real shame that a buyer could not be found for the place to continue the traditions and heritage that this road house holds.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

As soon as you mentioned the Shady Rest Inn Jerseyman it brought back old memories, in the late 50's almost every Saturday, me and my dad use to go down to the local outboard club which he was a member of, meet up with his friend, then take a nice ride on my dad'd friends boat up the Delaware into the rancocas Creek, wondering even the boat was going to make it under the bridges.

In later years when i started driving i couldn't remember where the place was. Use to swim there, dad use to treat me to a coke and cheeseburger, never knew it changed to Flo's.

Could any of you tell me the dead end street it is located on, i would like to go there for a look see ?

Jim

Suresue and Jim:

I think the reason you have not found much information in the historical record concerning Shady Rest Inn or Flo's is because I believe its popularity began in the 1940s—not all that long ago, historically speaking! Here is an image of the place as the Shady Rest Inn:

Shady_Rest_Inn.jpg

Jim—if you drive back any of the streets in the Rancocas Heights section of Hainesport Township, you should find Flo's.

BTW, the Shady Rest Inn stood across Mason's Creek from the one-time site of Rancocas Park, where Rancocas Woods stands today. George Potts started Rancocas Park after the Burlington County Traction Company began operating between Mount Holly and Moorestown down Marne Highway. The park featured amusement rides, picnic pavilions, a midway, a open-air dance hall, open-air movie theatre, a boating lake along Mason's Creek, etc. Within a couple of years of opening, Potts moved some of his amusement rides to Burlington Island as that amusement center began to grow. When Mark Basseler, owner of Burlington Island Park, began to bring in newer rides and Potts' rides became less popular, Potts pulled the rides from the island and returned them to his own park in Mount Laurel. Rancocas Park closed down after the First World War ended.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Oct 25, 2006
Jerseyman

Would you also have any history or pics on another place my dad use to take the family called Riverview Park, it was toward Pennsville i think, use to go on a passenger ferry from NE Philly called the Wilson Lines, by car i think also it is located on Rt.130.

Thanks Jim

Jerseyman

Would you also have any history or pics on another place my dad use to take the family called Riverview Park, it was toward Pennsville i think, use to go on a passenger ferry from NE Philly called the Wilson Lines, by car i think also it is located on Rt.130.

Thanks Jim

Jim:

I have material on Riverview, but I must leave shortly for dinner. I will post information for you later. BTW, Riverview was the very last amusement park on the Delaware River to be served by steamboat. The Wilson Line steamer STATE OF PENNSYLVANIA carried guests down the Delaware from Philadelphia into the late 1950s or early 1960s.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

gagliarchives

Explorer
Mar 7, 2004
gagliarchives.com
There was a Tavern in the woods in what is now Robert's Mill/Stony Run off the now defunct Crooked Lane in Cherry Hill/Maple Shade. I am trying to find some material from a connection in the historical society, but they are a slow moving monster. But I was able to find how the actual route went through the area at one time. More to come later.

tg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jerseyman

Thanks Jim

I have eaten there. it was nice. My moms family is from down that way.

Guy

There was a Tavern in the woods in what is now Robert's Mill/Stony Run off the now defunct Crooked Lane in Cherry Hill/Maple Shade. I am trying to find some material from a connection in the historical society, but they are a slow moving monster. But I was able to find how the actual route went through the area at one time. More to come later.

tg

Gagliarchives:

Are you referring to the Fountain Hotel or to the older tavern that once stood along Crooked Lane? I have material here on the hotel if you would like more information.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

relayer

Explorer
Gagliarchives:

There have been two taverns on Crooked Lane over the years. The second one, The Fountain Hotel, was populer in the early 19th century. I commend you to Jerseyman for information about the place. The first tavern in the area, was run by James Wild in the early eighteenth century. I think there may be surviving licenses for 1717-19 or so. The tavern was mentioned in the court records of old Gloucester County because the judges apparently spent a night there once while commuting between Gloucester and Burlington. It was located at the old intersection of Crooked Lane and the Salem road, some yards east of Kings Highway. It was known into the early 20th century as "the corner house." Beside references in official records, the place is also mentioned in the writings of Asa Matlack and there was a picture of the place in the collection of Miss Elizabeth Lippincott.

anyway...

relayer

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The exuberance must have something to do with what appears to be a photo of a woman in his hand. And maybe the alcohol.