Flower ID

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Picture 388.jpg Have all the petals fallen off?

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Yes, Redroot looks like a winner! I can't seem to match up the Meadow Beauty either. The naughty bits don't seem to match any picson the internet.This plant looks like it's gone to the seed stage.

Attachments

• Picture 389.jpg
    Picture 389.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 320

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
That meadow beauty looks like Rhexia virginica.

That last photo, number 64 is a puzzle. What kind of habitat? What does the inflorescence look like?

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
That last photo, number 64 is a puzzle. What kind of habitat? What does the inflorescence look like?

Bob,#61 is the flower, it was laying on the ground and looked like it was trampled so I propped it up with a stick. It was in a darker area with a lot of tree cover in an area with a lot of ferns growing.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bob,#61 is the flower, it was laying on the ground and looked like it was trampled so I propped it up with a stick. It was in a darker area with a lot of tree cover in an area with a lot of ferns growing.

That, my friend, is a very interesting plant. I think it is in the lily family. It kind of looks like turkey beard but for the leaves at the base...

PS: I'd like to see that plant for myself. It really intrigues me. Do you have any spare time this weekend, just for an hour or so?

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
PS: I'd like to see that plant for myself. It really intrigues me. Do you have any spare time this weekend, just for an hour or so?

Bob, The location is only a few minutes walk from the road in the vicinity of B.C.C. I'll PM my cell#.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
I counted about 8 plants in the area and I'll definately be there next year. It has been years since I've seen a Ladyslipper. Picture 418.jpg Here is another flower I missed. Anyone have an ID.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I counted about 8 plants in the area and I'll definately be there next year. It has been years since I've seen a Ladyslipper.

Make sure you visit the spot multiple times since most likely only a few will mature, and as I found out this year it may not be fully mature when you think it is. If you are early and it looks wilted, give it some time to perk up. I thought the one I was following was past prime and I was wrong.

Guy

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Bob, These are in a wooded area but there are farms less than a mile away. Mostly between an old marl pit and now nonexistant railroad tracks.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Guy, Thanks for the advice, next spring I'll stop by once a week since the spot is on the way home from work.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bob, The location is only a few minutes walk from the road in the vicinity of B.C.C. I'll PM my cell#.

Tom, something Guy emailed me jogged my memory. I think that is a toxic plant called fly poison. Now I really want to see it. He emailed me this photo he found on the net thinking it was the same as a Zigidenus he and I found while canoeing a couple years ago. I don't think it is, I think its fly poison, and very much like yours.

http://www.wildflower.org/image_archive/640x480/SAW/SAW_04069.JPG

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Amianthium muscaetoxicum is a match. I have been looking at Allium and Camassia till my eyes got blurry. Guy's brain is like a database and he can reference anything he has seen since birth!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy's brain is like a database and he can reference anything he has seen since birth!

Seriously, for a few things maybe, but I actually have terrible memory as Bob can attest to.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Bob,

I think the reason I had the wrong photo was when I did a search for Zigadenus Leimanthoides the site that came up with that photo also had the Zigadenus nuttallii with it. That is actually what the plant is in the photo I sent you according to this site. They call it a Death Camus or Poison Onion.

http://www.wildflower.org/gallery/result.php?id_image=25118

Guy