Flower ID

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bob,

I think the reason I had the wrong photo was when I did a search for Zigadenus Leimanthoides the site that came up with that photo also had the Zigadenus nuttallii with it. That is actually what the plant is in the photo I sent you according to this site. They call it a Death Camus or Poison Onion.

http://www.wildflower.org/gallery/result.php?id_image=25118

Guy

Ahh, the mystery continues. I did not think it was anything but fly poison since they look familiar. Maybe yours is an even better match. Here is the fly poison. In the past they would crush the bulb and if a fly landed and used it for some nefarious reason, it keeled over and died.

http://www.wildflower.org/gallery/result.php?id_image=4475

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Picture 318.jpg Bouncingbet,Soapwort -Saponaria officinalis

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Tom, I enjoyed poking around the woods with you last nite.

I keyed it out. It is definitely Amianthium muscaetoxicum.......fly poison.

Do not slice the bulb like an onion for your liverwurst sandwich. You won't survive the night. :)

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Bob, It was a very enjoyable and informative couple of hours and I'm glad I was able to give you a refresher course on where not to step in a bog. I found these at the end of my street. Indian pipe-Monotropa uniflora. Picture 453.jpg

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Yes, A friendly fella pointed it out to me earlier in the week! Picture 462.jpg It looks like the area is now being patrolled.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bummer, Just a little too late! View attachment 691

Tom, that is a nice find. It is most likely Platanthera lacera....green fringed orchid.

Next year, I'd like you to bring me to see them at the end of June. Would you mind? Mike Baker will probably come with me as he is looking to photograph a good one. I know where there are 3 stations for them here by me, but its a sweaty slog for the best one.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Bob, You can wear your best suit to see the Orchid because it's on the side of a parking lot. When do you think is a good time to see the other plant. I just need a little notice so someone will be around to watch my mom.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bob, You can wear your best suit to see the Orchid because it's on the side of a parking lot. When do you think is a good time to see the other plant. I just need a little notice so someone will be around to watch my mom.

That one blooms around the first week of August according to something I read. I can't pinpoint it down, so take a look at it in about 4-6 days and then we'll discuss........bob