Forked River Mountain

Glenn Walters

Explorer
Oct 2, 2013
Went on a ten mile hike yesterday. Struggled down a Pines road(Stonehill Rd) across to the Forked River Mountain. Probably about 50 spots where I had to traverse through thick brush and snow to get around huge ponds of water. Very grueling hike. I am still recovering today. The Pine Barrens took a lot of my strength yesterday, but they also gave me so much in return. The overlook is so amazing.
IMG_0721.JPG

Glenn Walters

Explorer
Oct 2, 2013
Ben,
Like the new map upgrade. It is awesome. And thanks for the compliment about the pics. When is the last time you were there? I plan on going a lot more now. Didn't remember it being so cool. It is amazing. Can't believe all of the overlooks right here in Lacey... So cool. Love Warren Grove too. Heard about it from this awesome site about a month ago. I have been back three times since. Also what is imgur?

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Glenn -

Thanks. I haven't been to the Forked River Mountains since the summer, since they're a little inconvenient for me to get to now. It's my favorite area in the Pine Barrens, though.

imgur is a website that lets you upload photographs for free, generally with the intention for the poster to share on a message board like this one. It's usually used by people who post on SomethingAwful.com, Reddit, etc. This is their "about me" from the website:

Imgur is the go-to destination for viral images. Backed by a friendly and funny community, Imgur is the best place to spend your free time online.

Users can interact with images by commenting and voting, or submitting their own image. The uploader makes sharing images with the Internet simple. You can use Imgur to share an image or album with a friend or post on a message board, blog or social networking site. You can manipulate the image to your liking and automatically share it with your social network of choice. Best of all, Imgur is completely free.

I use it quite extensively when posting casual images and whatnot on some other message boards. When I post my "serious" photography I usually link it straight from my Flickr.

Glenn Walters

Explorer
Oct 2, 2013
Thanks Ben,
I will check it out. forgot to mention the Schoenberg family in this post. Seems they left some Christmas wreaths on the tree for Frederick and Charlie. They both must have loved the mountain so much I am sorry for my computer illiteracy. I cant figure out the sideways pic. It is showing up fine on my pic program. I have tried rotation but not working. But enjoy anyway.
IMG_0740.JPG

Reactions: bdaltonph

Glenn Walters

Explorer
Oct 2, 2013
Watching "Heat" with DeNiro and Pacino. Great movie. Coffee shop scene on now. Enough of that. More importantly... Thanks for honoring the Schoenberg family better than me. Sorry to them. How do I fix that pic next time?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You have to orate it in a paint program of some sort. If you have Windows there should be a program in there to do it.

bdaltonph

Aug 25, 2013
Wow! I met Charlie Schoenberg years ago. I didn't know this. R.I.P.

Where is that located?

Glenn Walters

Explorer
Oct 2, 2013
B Dalton,
You need to check out the east face of the FR mountain. It is awesome. That is where you will find the Schoenberg Shrine. I imagine they loved that spot in life. I don't blame them it is awesome. If you are where the tower was you need to follow the trail east. Trust me you will know when you reached the overlook, because the first word to enter your head will be WOW. It is on a tree right at the top of the overlook. Cant miss it.

ericsanjuan

Dec 1, 2011
It's been years since I took a hike here. Seeing these photos makes me want to round up my son and go for a trek.