Forked River Mountain

Glenn Walters

Explorer
Oct 2, 2013
Eric,
I definitely recommend it. Especially if your son enjoys the outdoors. He will want to keep going back. It is awesome from the overlook. Enjoy.
It's been years since I took a hike here. Seeing these photos makes me want to round up my son and go for a trek.

Glenn Walters

Explorer
Oct 2, 2013
Eric,
You should definitely make that trek. The walk I took was across Stone Hill Rd. That is a long walk. Starts at powerlines next to parkway, where it meets Lacey Rd. Passes behind behind Argos Farm, up over Stone Hill, out to the mountain. Easy to find this path on Satellite imagery. Roads/Trails are very defined and named on most maps. GPS on your phone also helps tremendously. You can pretty much pinpoint exactly where you are on the trail at any given moment. There are shorter walks, but I am always up for a long hike. Also alot of the shorter walks are harder for me to drive to. Dont know where you are, but alot of members of this site know alternate routes. Alot of routes can get you all the way there by 4x4. Or you could go part way by vehicle and walk the rest. I Definitely recommend it!!! Your son will love you fot it. Dont forget to share after you have been there. :cool:

njskiier

Dec 28, 2013
Ben,
Like the new map upgrade. It is awesome. And thanks for the compliment about the pics. When is the last time you were there? I plan on going a lot more now. Didn't remember it being so cool. It is amazing. Can't believe all of the overlooks right here in Lacey... So cool. Love Warren Grove too. Heard about it from this awesome site about a month ago. I have been back three times since. Also what is imgur?

where is the updated map that you referred to? trying to get a most recent map to go to FRM today

Glenn Walters

Explorer
Oct 2, 2013
Sorry if I am too late for your trip I have been sick. Hope this helps for future. I came in from the east. Stonehill Rd. from corner of Lacey Rd and Pkway at powerline road

rhttp://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.84829771708816&lng=-74.2880245295

Glenn Walters

Explorer
Oct 2, 2013
KDOG,
I would highly recommend both activities there. There is a large clearing at the top of the mountain 50-100 meters from the overlook you see in my pics. You could probably even set up camp right there at the overlook. Also great trail system throught the FRMs. I highly recommend hiking/biking(if you are a MTBer) the many single track trails throughout all of the hills there. Many obsructed views that make you feel like you are in a real mountain range because of the elevation variations. There are also other clearings with vistas. But none match the overlook in my pics. It is beautiful out there. Enjoy.

Glenn Walters

Explorer
Oct 2, 2013
My wife bought me a mountain bike for Christmas. Surprised me completely. But I have found a new activity that I love. Was out there Monday. Difficult ride to get there. Sugar Sand is great cardio. Gotta use gear shifting to conquer it. Once on the mountain, nothing but fun. Hard packed single track, up down, twisty turns, root and log obstacles. Some technical, but not crazy. Also very fast and fun. Mostly beginner/intermediate. Had a great time with my new toy. Heres some pics of typical trail and overlook
IMG_0957.JPG
typical trail.
IMG_0961.JPG
IMG_0963.JPG
IMG_0963.JPG
IMG_0974.JPG

Reactions: John

Glenn Walters

Explorer
Oct 2, 2013
This has been true for years. There are also people trying to save it. Check Forked River Mountain Coalition website(FRMC)
Also NJ Conservation. These organizations are buying as much of the land as they can out there. Trying to protect the natural beauty. Also check out FR Mountain Conservancy(Candace McKee Ashmun Preserve). So far they have preserved 4,000 acres just east/southeast of the actual hills themselves. They are working hard to buy/protect as much of the area as they can, including the hills(FR Mountains).

Glenn Walters

Explorer
Oct 2, 2013
There are laws currently in place that protect it from development. How long these laws will hold off developers, no one knows. The only way to truly protect them is for the conservationists orgs to buy them out. These organizations keep working hard to ensure the laws are upheld as part of the Pinelands National Preserve. And the companies that want to develop are working to find ways to circumvent the laws. Constant battle. It would be really sad to see them go. I think a big part of the battle is knowledge. The thing that protects them is also the thing that hurts them. And that is there seclusion. They are hard to find if you dont know where you are going and hard to get to without a 4x4, ATV, MTB or good hiking boots. Also alot of the easiest ways to get there have those damn posted signs. Keep Out. Put there by the companies that dont want you to know they are there. Therefore alot of people dont know they exist. I show alot of people I know pictures and they are seriously asking me "where the hell is that"? Knowledge and numbers. That is what we need.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Keep in mind that the mountain itself (the site in the above photos) is on private property. Casual visitors and explorers have not been given a hard time in the past and the site is not well posted, but if your visit coincides with the presence of patroling law enforcement you could be asked to leave, at best. I certainly would not advocate camping there. The FRM Coalition gets letters of permission whenever it uses the mountain, such as tours during the Pine Barrens Jamboree and the lunch after the annual clean-up.

Reactions: Ben Ruset

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You also have to be careful camping on the top of the mountain because there always are visitors and some of them come in the middle of the night. I use to camp on the FRM back in the 70s and we quickly learned to get to a more remote spot.

KDOG

Oct 6, 2013
Dennis Township NJ
Who's the developer? Maybe they could be convinced to turn it over to someone else? I'm really surprised at this! On surprised it hasn't been made a state park etc. I'm wondering what we can do???

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The owner is John Brunetti. I doubt he will turn anything over, but he may sell.