Forked River Mountain

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Who's the developer? Maybe they could be convinced to turn it over to someone else? I'm really surprised at this! On surprised it hasn't been made a state park etc. I'm wondering what we can do???

What exactly are you surprised at? All land is owned by someone, private or public. There is nothing much "we" can do other than support the organizations and agencies that have been aquiring and assembling tracts of public and private preserved land for a long time. The importance of this piece is nothing new and is well known to many. It is often a long and difficult process, much like putting together a jigsaw puzzle. The willing sellers have already been dealt with, for the most part, and the rest take time, patience and the right circumstances. As Glen said, environmnetal laws are nice but are far from carved in stone. Aquisition is the best and safest way to preserve a piece of property.

Reactions: Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It makes it seem like you have been involved with this sort of thing :) :D

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Has anyone ever found the perfect tree on the mountain to climb for the best vantage point looking east?

Glenn Walters

Explorer
Oct 2, 2013
I just wish it was in the right hands>
if one of us owned it< there would be a state park there already or it would be part of the preserve just to the east> kdog we all share your passion for the situation but in the end it comes down to john brunetti doing the right thing hopefully he can be bought out by one of the many conversation orgs>

Glenn Walters

Explorer
Oct 2, 2013
Has anyone ever found the perfect tree on the mountain to climb for the best vantage point looking east?
Hey Gibby,
I haven't looked. I am out there a lot lately and will be back soon. Keep watching this thread and I will get back to you. I would imagine it would be very close to the overlook in my avatar. That is looking in an east/northeast direction. So I will explore the southern edge of that for a tree to take in the entire eastern view. Any particular reason?

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Any particular reason?

No reason in particular...I'm just a kid at heart and still looking for that illusive perch to look out over the surrounding area. If you block out the man made features that dot the horizon around the mountains you can almost forget the fact that New Jersey is the most densely populated state in the union. There is a certain feeling of vastness you get from being on top of those short mountains.

Reactions: bobpbx

Glenn Walters

Explorer
Oct 2, 2013
Amen to that. I drive to Newark every day to work. A daily reminder of how lucky we are to live in the least populated part of the most populated state. I just about cry every day when I see that sign on the parkway that says "now leaving Pinelands National Reserve". Coming home the Welcome to PNR sign brings a smile to my face every single day :). I love the fact that I can see it from the Parkway or Double Trouble Road(which I usually take to feel like I am back in the woods again). All of the land around those "mountains" is not very far above sea level. That is why 184 ft feels more like a thousand because you can see for so many miles in every direction around the entire mountain range. It is such a great feeling . You can hear the high mountain breeze howling through the treetops. Feels like you are walking through a high mountain range. A great view is a great view at any height. And that overlook is awesome. Along with some other great ones in this area of the Pines. I will find a good vantage point for you and post pics and exact coordinates. You should plan your own trip out there. Worth every minute of travel no matter how you get there.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
As I have mentioned and posted before I have been climbing trees on the mountain since 1973. It is a wonderful place to be.

FRM7.jpg

This is for you Gibby. I merged two together manually. Click to make larger and then scroll right and left. It is always nice to re-visit old haunts.

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/01172014/merged.jpg

Guy

Glenn Walters

Explorer
Oct 2, 2013
Guy,
Love it!!! Goes back to what I said. You look like you are a thousand feet up. Feels like you are on top of the world at 184 ft. plus tree ht. That is so cool. Thanks again for sharing. Is that right on the mountain?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The first photo was taken around 1978 or so. The three of us would climb and watch the sunset. We would all see who could sit on the top of the tree. The other is more recent from a different view.

Glenn Walters

Explorer
Oct 2, 2013
Yeah you could tell the quality. But even though the newer one is great, I definitely like the old one better. There is just much more of a secluded, wilderness feeling to it. Definitely an Appalachian feel to it. Good stuff. Reminds me of your old preacher hill photos that I found on images, that led me to this site. And I remember the thread where you were talking about climbing trees watching the sunset. Thus the one photo of the FR Mountains at sunset. Taken from the hill. Awesome.

Glenn Walters

Explorer
Oct 2, 2013
I think the "pigs" you are speaking of belong to the hunting club that leases that land... one of the reasons it has stayed in it's natural state, hence the posted signs all along Lacey Rd. Some of my frinds and neighbors are members there and unlike many other clubs where members come from all over NJ and out of state, they are all locals. They have no clubhouse or structures on the land and also do clean-ups in that entire area, but Im sure you do that as well while you are tresspassing :rolleyes:
I am sorry if I offended you. That was not my intent. I know your quote is still there, but I still felt compelled to delete my post. I only leave footprints and only take photos and memories out there. I sometimes say the wrong thing when I get passionate about the area I love. I just wish it could be preserved forever for all of us who love it so much to share it and enjoy it. Again I am sorry!!!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I used a 440MM lens for this view of the hangers at Lakehurst taken from the FRM. About 1978.

Lakehurst.jpg

Reactions: bobpbx

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Sunset looking towards Cedar Bridge. I believe the Cedar Bridge lookout is in the photo and it would have been at the previous location. This scan of the slide is not that clear. Again, about 1978.

sunset_FRM.jpg