Forums dead... :(

B

bach2yoga

bruset said:
It's been very very quiet the last few days. Is everyone out hunting wabbits?

nah, orchids.

and the Jersey Devil. :jd:

Renee

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I bought Laura to the 539 Boardwalk and we saw quite a few Trailing Arbutus (thanks for the pictures in your gallery. Bob!) and a few of those plants that look like inverted J's with some sort of ball on the end. Neither Bob or you have pics of them in your galleries, and it was raining slighly so I didn't have my camera out.

B

bach2yoga

bruset said:
I bought Laura to the 539 Boardwalk and we saw quite a few Trailing Arbutus (thanks for the pictures in your gallery. Bob!) and a few of those plants that look like inverted J's with some sort of ball on the end. Neither Bob or you have pics of them in your galleries, and it was raining slighly so I didn't have my camera out.

what/where is the 539 Boardwalk?

J

JeffD

On the Pine Barrens Enthusiasts Discussion forum there are explict directions which Guy gave me. Maybe I'll look for it later in the week. I just got home from a tiring day and had to deal with a shrew, whom I'm thinking of bringing some cheese to go with her next whine.

The Webb's Mill Boardwalk is just a little north of Routes 72 and 539, and not far from the, I think it's the Cedar Hill Fire Tower. The boardwalk is on your right if you're going north on 539 from its junction with 72. The someone inconpicious path that leads from 539, which is roughly 1/2 mile from the boardwalk, is almost adjacent from a Greenwood Wildlife Management Area sign. The boardwalk is a neat place. The boardwalk goes in a loop and is a short walk, both from the road and around it.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
bruset said:
a few of those plants that look like inverted J's with some sort of ball on the end

Those are most likely insectivorous pitcher plants and the ball is the flower Ben. They also call the flowers dumb watches because as the flowers mature, they look like an old time clock without any hands. Did you notice the pitchers at the bottom of the plant, each filled with water? That is where bugs get trapped and die, and the plant then takes its nutrients from the body.

I strongly suggest you visit the boardwalk again in about 10 days. It will be alive with color at that time, with many plants beginning to flower. Look for the Arethusa in particular. It is shocking pink. It may be out now in fact, but the weather has been a factor this year.

A word of caution, as June progresses, the deer flies become murderous out there. Protect your head and bare skin.

bob

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Renee,

It is North of the Cedar Bridge fire tower on 539 as Jeff mentioned. The GPS readings are:

I believe the last GPS readings you gave me were in the other format so you might want to use:

Remember this:

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~teegate/539.jpg

If you go there, check out the pipes under the road at the Webbs Mill Branch right there. Also just a few hundred North of the bridge take the dirt road to your left and a hundred feet into the woods is the green gaging well I have posted photo's of. And of course the road just south of the boardwalk goes to the Eureka Gun Club and Aserdaten.

Guy

B

bach2yoga

bruset said:

I have a few more pics to add, but only got around to this one. I got a couple of good shots of the pitcher plant flowers too, but I'm waiting for them to be developed. (the joys of 35 mm, huh?)
http://www.njpinebarrens.com/module...ame=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php
Renee

B

bach2yoga

TeeGate said:
Renee,

It is North of the Cedar Bridge fire tower on 539 as Jeff mentioned. The GPS readings are:

I believe the last GPS readings you gave me were in the other format so you might want to use:

Remember this:

If you go there, check out the pipes under the road at the Webbs Mill Branch right there. Also just a few hundred North of the bridge take the dirt road to your left and a hundred feet into the woods is the green gaging well I have posted photo's of. And of course the road just south of the boardwalk goes to the Eureka Gun Club and Aserdaten.

Guy
Thanks, Guy (and guys!) I changed the format of my GPS though to match DD MM S or whatever it is, like yours is, so it's easier to figure with the topo.
Renee

B

bach2yoga

bruset said:
Renee,

When you get your pics developed, do you get the PictureCD? I was wondering what made that black border on your images. Very cool.

Yes, I do get the CD. I really do need to invest in a digital, by the time I purchase film and have the processing done with the CD, and with the number of pics I've been taking it would pay for itself by the end of the year.
The black border doesn't come with the CD--I don't remember exactly how I did that, except that I seem to remember it being an option as to how to frame the shots when I set up the album. I think it was on a pulldown menu somewhere, but darned if I remember where. Maybe if you try setting up a new gallery, or if you want I can go in and try to recreate it and then you can delete it.
Renee

B

bach2yoga

Found it...go under photo properties. Mine is set to 4 borders, color black.
Renee

B

bach2yoga

Thanks, Guy. I do remember the boardwalk now, but I didn't get to walk it, Joseph was not feeling well and we left after Kristen took a minute to walk it.

I have a couple of hours to myself today so I think I'll head up there. Hopefully I can find it.
Renee

TeeGate said:
Renee,

Remember this:

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
bach2yoga said:
Thanks, Guy. I do remember the boardwalk now, but I didn't get to walk it, Joseph was not feeling well and we left after Kristen took a minute to walk it.

I have a couple of hours to myself today so I think I'll head up there. Hopefully I can find it.
Renee

I was at work the day after I posted that and for some reason remembered that you did not leave the car. I guess I should have noticed that you are not in the photo. I was the only one at that end when I took it.

Guy