Franklin Parker Preserve

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
.... it is illegal to sell venison in New Jersey.

Chris

Not entirely accurate. It is illegal to sell or buy wild Whitetail deer venison. Farm raised deer venison of a different species is allowed. A place in Newark sells venison, but it ain't cheap. If you have a hankering for wild venison, some of the deer clubs used to have fund raiser venison dinners once the season is over. Some still do. There are also restaurants around the state that have game on their menu. Again, not cheap.

http://www.dartagnan.com

http://united-bowhunters-of-nj-bowhunting-nj-outdoors-conservationi.eggzack.com/njb-game-dinner-----

http://sergeantsvilleinn.com/dinner.htm

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
Not entirely accurate. It is illegal to sell or buy wild Whitetail deer venison. Farm raised deer venison of a different species is allowed.

I was aware of this, I should have worded myself different. I do not think she is looking for farm raised venison. Free venison should not be hard to find.

Chris

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Chris is right. I'm looking for the "hunted" free range kind. I did not know it was illegal. I've only ever purchased venison at the market. If friends usually go hunting, they give me some. I just want a nice freezer full this year. It is yummy and nice lean meat.

Oh and thanks for the Sound of Music tune. I now can't get it out of my head. The hunters I have encountered in my lifetime have been complete morons. Which is why I probably won't be hanging around any preserves or WMA's this fall/winter season.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Chris is right. I'm looking for the "hunted" free range kind. I did not know it was illegal. I've only ever purchased venison at the market. If friends usually go hunting, they give me some. I just want a nice freezer full this year. It is yummy and nice lean meat.

Oh and thanks for the Sound of Music tune. I now can't get it out of my head. The hunters I have encountered in my lifetime have been complete morons. Which is why I probably won't be hanging around any preserves or WMA's this fall/winter season.
Last time I looked I was not a complete Moron........No Deer meat for you:dance:

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
If friends usually go hunting, they give me some. I just want a nice freezer full this year. It is yummy and nice lean meat.

The hunters I have encountered in my lifetime have been complete morons.

Hmmmmm :eek: Are you sure about that? :D

Why not get your NJ license?

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Dogg I wasn't talking about you. You guys seem pretty straight. I'm talking about some of the jackasses I grew up with. It is no offense to anyone on here. Thanks Soup Nazis.

Yes, 46er I'm pretty sure, but it is never enough. Usually a very small amount. Hunters don't like giving up their supply at times.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
PW, there is a very huge difference between a hunter and someone who is shooting deer. A hunter respects the land, the hunt and the harvest, while someone who is just a shooter, is out to to enlarge their ego and is out just for the kill. The latter is normally the loud mouth you hear boasting about the small spike that he shot while sitting next to some odd spot and swearing it is a state record and how the animal's rack scored on the Pope and Young. People with attitudes such as this give hunters a bad name. Only a few ruin it for the rest of the sportsmen(women). I come from a family of hunters and spent many days among the trees or in boat hunting duck, deer and small game. Even though I don't hunt as much as I use to because life is along a different road at the moment, I still manage to shoot a minimum of three hundred rounds a week. 45 ACP, 9mm, and 357 magnum are on my menu. Handguns are and have always been a favorite. I was introduced to pistols at a young age of eleven. My uncle placed a Colt 1911 in my hands and I was hooked! I just recently purchase a Browning Citori 525 Field in 28 gauge to return back to my most loved sport - upland hunting. I still have my Belgium Browning Auto-5 which I may use once again to bring down a few ducks in the state's cold water. I have a different respect for firearms and hunting because I wasn't influenced by television and video games, I associate shooting and hunting with great times and moments spent with family and friends.

Reactions: Hewey

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I have a different respect for firearms and hunting because I was I wasn't influenced by television and video games, I associate shooting and hunting with great times and moments spent with family and friends.

True words young man. Well spoken.
I think the deluge of hunting shows on cable television in the last 10 years has actually hurt the sport of hunting and fishing.
It seems that the viewer is expected to aspire to be a gonzo, full-on killing machine that will someday result in he or she reaching the ultimate title of Pro-staffer.

I would much rather sit under an oak and pursue a squirrel with grandaddy's single while enjoying the smell of the early autumn woods.

Reactions: Gibby

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
I agree with you. I am one of those who respect the animal and the kill. I was also a vegetarian for about 6 years, but is never a good idea (younger years, although still fairly young, haha)We need meat. I agree with you in all regards. Just some people are out for the kill and have no respect.. others do have respect with the animal and the land. It could be media influence or their egos. I don't like hunters who try to pillage a whole herd of deer. It does make me a bit uneasy. I have come to respect all of you because you do respect nature and the precious land we have here. However, a lot of other folks aren't considerate.

I have gone out and hunted before, but could never pull the trigger. Yes, I am a wussy. However, I respect it more because there is a whole process involved with butchering and preserving each tender morsel as to be respectful. Hunting brings us back to what it was prior to these huge meat processing facilities and should be respected more these days.

Duck is yummy too. Quack quack!

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I personally used to work with a man who belonged to a large local gun club.He would tell stories of the guys going into the woods all drunked up,he obviously thought this was okay and a fun thing to do.Not saying most hunters are like this but apparently in this club it was common.Another thing,I frequently see drivers standing along side the roads with loaded guns at the ready waiting for those in the woods to push the deer out.Isn't it illegal to shoot from a road???

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I think it boils down to the fact people that hunt are people too.Some right down respectable ones and some morons in the mix too.Unfortunately stereotypes never pan out like you expect em to.I have never liked killing things myself but I tell you what.You kill it,bring it to me and I'll skin it and make some nice buckskin out of it.Love the smell of brain tanned wood smoked buckskin!

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Hahaha. Geez you see it on the side of the road (dead deer) on a daily basis. I don't have a stereotype about hunters. My thing is I am usually with my bambino (he's 15 months now so I guess a Toddler). I just don't want to take the risk. Even though I can die from a bee sting more likely. I WISH more hunters were Iike you guys. I would say half of my encounters have been like you guys. The others the hunting drinkers.

We got to face facts and although I have encountered young folks who respect the land...the younger generation doesn't as years have passed. It is sad. Now pass the Venison please.

Oh who's going to the tourist trap, Piney aka Cranberry festival or Batsto next weekend?

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Sunset at the Franklin Parker Preserve
image.jpg

Reactions: EffinGenius