Green Bank Inn... closed for good.

CurMUDgeon

Scout
Apr 30, 2010
Where needed.
I remember hearing a tale of an infamous contest involving *ahem* .... bodily functions and distance that was held one night at the Green Bank Inn. All were surprised that the winning attempt was not achieved by the gender incorrectly assumed to be most capable of such an astounding feat!!

skip3

Explorer
Nov 21, 2009
cc tx, Green Bank Nj
I don't see that place getting a certificate of occupancy without spending a fortune.....lets just say it needs some work. But I hope someone does reopen it.

Now on the other subject I know a woman who can write her name in the snow with her God given equipment. I believe she calls it Sport pi##ing

NKS969

May 10, 2016
Port Monmouth
I used to love to ride there w/my friends from EHC, Galloway & high school friends from OHS. Even after I moved back to SJ from So Fla., I went there with buddies. I put a FHP patch on the wall behind the bar. Maybe some even remembered it (out of the many). It had a big orange in the middle of it. Anyway, stupid stuff ya remember from days gone by. Even though it's been years since the place closed and nobody's gonna read this anyway, I just saw this story, made me remember good times, the dogs on the roof (and yea, I got the tee shirt) and an old girl friend from down the road. It will be missed.

NKS969

May 10, 2016
Port Monmouth
I read it and enjoyed it. Thanks for the memories.
Well I appreciate that friend. I just thought that this story was so old now and maybe forgotten.....So those of us either from the area or from far away, we all might remember it and smile & have something in common.

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Green Bank inn and Hedger House were on our "we gotta stop in there one of these days" that closed before we did. Remember seeing a V8 motorcycle , NOT a trike, parked out front of the Green Bank Inn one day......

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
lmkms:
Many thanks for the very interesting spec sheet.
Don't ever, ever lay that baby down - 1675 lbs!! It'd take a tow truck crane to lift it back vertical.

Belated "thank you" to Piney Mike for the shared memories. The Green Bank Inn, the Bunglaow Inn, The Rustic Inn, and The Lower Bank Inn were all part of growing up in Wading River for this Piney native. I miss them, and the wonderful people I called friends from Warren Grove to Chips Folly and Bell Haven Lake.

Reactions: h2ochild and Boyd

Bassman

Oct 16, 2022
Woodstown NJ
I stumbled onto this site yesterday 11/16/22 after returning home from the Batsto Country Fair. I have some memories and info to share about the Green Bank Inn. In 1962 I was 14 years old. My Grandfather who grew up in Egg Harbor and had lived in Sweetwater and Hammonton had just realized his life long dream of owning a boat and we kept it at Mike’s Dock on Seven Bridges Road in Tuckerton. We lived in Audubon then and on Fridays after work “Pop Pop” and I would load up the car and head down to the boat for a weekend of fishing near the “Fish Factory.” The Green Bank Inn was always a stop along the way because Pop knew the owner who’s name was Mike Capaci. Pop always described him as an “outlaw deer hunter” and he was indeed an imposing figure. There was a big blackboard behind the bar with the deer tallies from the local deer hunting clubs and a mounted albino deer head on a post in the room. I loved going there and listening to them talk but also, after a few beers Pop would let me drive the rest of the way to Tuckerton! My most vivid memory however was outside of the Inn. There is no delicate way to describe this but I’ll try my best. In the side yard there was an old junk car (a Rambler, I think) and on nice days there was a young boy tied to it with a long chain. He obviously had mental issues and crawled around on the ground in the dirt and could not talk. No one mistook this as mistreatment or child abuse, please understand that this was 1962 and things were very different then. I’m sure that this boy was well cared for. It was just a way for him to be outside and safe. I don’t know who’s son he was because nobody talked about it in the bar and I was afraid to ask anyone. It was not a biker bar back then. That being said, I have nothing but wonderful memories with my Grandfather and the times we spent at the Green Bank. Oh, and on returning home on Sunday nights, the bar was always a stop and I got to drive the rest of the way home too! Treasured times. Any body else out there with these memories?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
What was this place, wasn't it a bar on 563? In the late 70's I used to drive by it, and there was an old junk car sitting in the side of the yard pointed out towards the road. I always thought (maybe in my mind?) when I drove past that there was an old gent sitting in the car, just staring straight ahead. But maybe it was another house in the same area. My memory is fading.

1666028532878.png

Reactions: Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I stumbled onto this site yesterday 11/16/22 after returning home from the Batsto Country Fair. I have some memories and info to share about the Green Bank Inn. In 1962 I was 14 years old. My Grandfather who grew up in Egg Harbor and had lived in Sweetwater and Hammonton had just realized his life long dream of owning a boat and we kept it at Mike’s Dock on Seven Bridges Road in Tuckerton. We lived in Audubon then and on Fridays after work “Pop Pop” and I would load up the car and head down to the boat for a weekend of fishing near the “Fish Factory.” The Green Bank Inn was always a stop along the way because Pop knew the owner who’s name was Mike Capaci. Pop always described him as an “outlaw deer hunter” and he was indeed an imposing figure. There was a big blackboard behind the bar with the deer tallies from the local deer hunting clubs and a mounted albino deer head on a post in the room. I loved going there and listening to them talk but also, after a few beers Pop would let me drive the rest of the way to Tuckerton! My most vivid memory however was outside of the Inn. There is no delicate way to describe this but I’ll try my best. In the side yard there was an old junk car (a Rambler, I think) and on nice days there was a young boy tied to it with a long chain. He obviously had mental issues and crawled around on the ground in the dirt and could not talk. No one mistook this as mistreatment or child abuse, please understand that this was 1962 and things were very different then. I’m sure that this boy was well cared for. It was just a way for him to be outside and safe. I don’t know who’s son he was because nobody talked about it in the bar and I was afraid to ask anyone. It was not a biker bar back then. That being said, I have nothing but wonderful memories with my Grandfather and the times we spent at the Green Bank. Oh, and on returning home on Sunday nights, the bar was always a stop and I got to drive the rest of the way home too! Treasured times. Any body else out there with these memories?
That was a great story. I was only in there once with my wife. There was a a Warlock motorcycle member sitting there showing my wife and I pictures of his grandchildren. Couldn't have met a nicer person.

As for the boy being tied to the car, back in the early to mid 60s the family who lived next to us had a harness for their son. He was hooked to a pole with a rope and could only reach the edge of our yard. There was nothing wrong with him, they just didn't want to be bothered watching him. It was the same family that my mom saw the teenager across the road climbing out their window and running for his life when the woman's husband pulled up out front. They moved away to Moorestown and years later we read in the paper the boy that was tied up drowned at Harrisville Lake. I went there the next weekend early and all of his brothers and sister were there and left when they saw us coming. They had no idea it was me.