Greenwood Forest

Jello454

May 30, 2004
Piscataway NJ
Whats the deal with the Greenwood Forest area??? I have been exploring around that area and have been coming up with alot of dead end trails. I figured they don't want anyone in that area with a car. I've looked it up from an aerial picture and west of it there are odd shapes cut out in the woods. Like in the shapes of letters like a V, H, T, or an O. Does anyone know what is the deal with that??? Could it be someone's property??? It just seems too strange that they are in the shapes of letters!

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Search the forums for "rye strips."

It's all state property. They cut shapes that way for a reason.

They want people in that area, just a lot of the trails are small and narrow.

tugwake

Scout
Sep 15, 2008
Last Weekend

We went to Greenwood Forest last weekend. That place is FULL of deer and I got some very nice pictures although the little boogers wouldn't stand still. :D

I'm glad to know this information about the trails because we ended up on the powerline and thank God for four wheel drive! We took a turn on one road that came to a large clearing where someone had a large bonfire the night before. Correct me if I am wrong but there is really one good way in and one good way out and it's not by way of the powerlines. Also, if you're driving a large truck such as our Power Wagon, careful of the low branches in the clearing!

Another nice aspect of this forest is that the State plants a lot of grassy areas and the deer are just laying around everywhere. I took some gorgeous pictures! They must spray in there, as well. I didn't find any little creepy crawlers on me.....thank God.

I was also glad to see that people weren't littering in the area. I'm a firm believer of taking out more than you carry in by way of trash.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
If you take a look at Greewwood with Google Earth you will see those odd shapes are actually letters. This was done when the WMA was being put together so the state could monitor the plantings of each field from the air. A friend that worked on that project tells some good stories of questions from pilots wondering what they were.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They must spray in there, as well. I didn't find any little creepy crawlers on me.....thank God.

Be careful of the coming months. Chiggers love those places and you don't want to have to deal with them.

Guy

tugwake

Scout
Sep 15, 2008
Be careful of the coming months. Chiggers love those places and you don't want to have to deal with them.

Guy

Oh my God, I know. I found out about a week after I started exploring the area about the ticks too. I don't want to deal with either of them!

Any advice on what to use to avoid them? I know Avon's Skin-so-soft doesn't work worth a poop. The ticks just say, "Ummmmm, that smells tasty!".:D

tugwake

Scout
Sep 15, 2008
Deep Woods Off -- anything with a lot of DEET in it.

Wearing rubber boots will also help keep the chiggers off.

Thanks, Ben. I'm going to purchase both today so I have them for the weekend. I wonder if it would hurt to take a shower in it? :rofl: (just kidding)

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Best thing for ticks is Permethrin. Not to be used on the skin, it is applied to your clothing. I use it from the knee's down and on socks and boots. Last for many washings. They won't last more than 5 seconds, best stuff I've ever used.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
I use Permanone, which is a pyrethrin-base I believe. Same as permathrin if I recall correctly. Walmart sells it under the Repel brand for about $6 a can. I have a few cans in the truck at all times. I didn't realized it lasted through washings. I pretty much always reapply from the knees down and the arms and shoulders before I head in.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
. I didn't realized it lasted through washings. I pretty much always reapply from the knees down and the arms and shoulders before I head in.

The stuff I use says it will last thru washings, but also says to reapply every 2 weeks. It's permithrin based in a pump spray bottle, not sure of the brand.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I use permanone too. Yes it does last through washings and is very effective. Read the directions Mark - you should not use it that way. Wait two weeks between treatments and do not apply while wearing your clothes. It should have several hours to dry before putting the clothes on. It's great stuff but you shouldn't over expose yourself to it.

foofoo

Explorer
Sep 14, 2003
We went to Greenwood Forest last weekend.

Another nice aspect of this forest is that the State plants a lot of grassy areas and the deer are just laying around everywhere. I took some gorgeous pictures! They must spray in there, as well. I didn't find any little creepy crawlers on me.....thank God.
you can thank the forestry service. those deer are all over the place and getting ready to drop fawns. they are feeding heavily on the greens that come up from the prescribed burns. i pay a couple hundred dollars a year for permits to have the privilage to hunt. the state fish and game says they have no money and havent planted any fields for about 6 years. as far as the ticks consider yourself lucky. they dont spray anything. just ask the moths that devastated the pines 2 years ago.it looked like december in august after they were done.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
I use permanone too. Yes it does last through washings and is very effective. Read the directions Mark - you should not use it that way. Wait two weeks between treatments and do not apply while wearing your clothes. It should have several hours to dry before putting the clothes on. It's great stuff but you shouldn't over expose yourself to it.

Thanks for the tip, Boyd, and you're right: I should read the directions. I haven't saturated my clothes with it, and I have been careful about bare skin, but I do spray my pants while wearing them.