Hanover Furnace

George

Apr 8, 2003
Browns Mills New Jersey
All
Hanover Furnace on Range Road (Ft Dix) is outside of the contonment area. There is no need for photo ID's because you will not have to go through a military checkpoint to get there. Looking foward to meeting all of whom I read, yet have never met.

George

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Ok - if we do not hear from Ariadne, I'd say let's still try to go, now that we know that the land is open and we won't be stopped by MP's.

Here is the question. Do we still meet at the 539 Wawa, or is there a closer, more central spot for us all to meet. I am not really all that familiar with the roads around Ft. Dix. (I only drove through once pre-2001)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Ariadne said:
I am painfully unaware of message board etiquette; sorry for any confusion. :)

We all have had learning curves.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Thanks for the tour today Ariadne. It was fascinating, I really mean it. The time went by so quick! You are very knowledgeable and a great guide. Keep up the good work. You've made me want to read about Hanover some more.........bob

gagliarchives

Explorer
Mar 7, 2004
gagliarchives.com
On top of all that, it was great meeting all of you guys. I hope we can do it again soon. I loved the excursion and will rap about this all night on the radio show. Thank god for preproduction work.
One of the tracks from a new disc promo I recieved had a track that truly summed up the day, and Hanover. I loved it so much, I feel it is perfect to break the rule and play it tonight.

Here are the lyrics:
Only just above the surface..
The particle gods
Created by culture's rich lattice
Only doomed to fade
In a light that grows brighter (spirit of the furnace :) )

Never far below the surface... (the foundations)
A beast defeated (the pines)
By culture's lattice (the settlers)
Declining (self explanatory)
Invitations into nothing (searching for the ghosts the way we do)

An Arc, a Covenant
Broken By Language
Metaphor and simulation

Melted by a light that grows brighter (the furnace)
Once shot across a narrow causeway into... (Hanover)
Heaven, Nirvana, Dreamtime
Our dead spoke to us. (through the artifacts)

We tilled our fields
We rode to war (Revolutionary, 1812)
Our dead spoke to us (today on our trip)

Without a space to call their own

Still seeking the light... (of the furnace)
Still craving the light... (as we do :) )
Then hating the light... (as they did)

Finally holding the light... (which I hope we all will.)

Deliriously tired,

Tom

ps..if you want to listen online, you can do so by clicking.
http://live.str3am.com:2010/

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
Damn it, I somehow got confused and thought the trip was on Sunday. I just logged on to see what was up with the supposed rain tomorrow to see "The trip was great!" I was really looking forward to it. I feel like an idiot! lol

I hope I can hear what was shown from you guys over the forum. Maybe Adriane can do another tour in the future? Oh well...

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We certainly had a great day, and appreciate Ariadne's time, enthusiasm, and commitment, for all that we experienced and saw today. It was nice meeting all of you.

And wasn't that Kevin we passed at Apple Pie Hill as we were leaving?

Guy

kevineichman

Feb 2, 2004
Tabernacle, New Jersey
I just wanted to let all of you know that it was great to finally meet you and that I had a good time on saturday. I certainly learned alot about the site in a short amount of time. I especially wanted to thank Ariadne for taking time out of her schedule and giving us a very informative tour.

And yes that was me out at apple pie hill later in the day. After eating lunch I realized that it was much too nice a day to sit inside and so went exploring around the hill.

Tom

Explorer
Feb 10, 2004
Sounds like you guys all had a great time. Sorry I couldn't make it. It would have been nice to meet all of you. I enjoyed the photos, though.

Tom

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
This cannonball is almost one quarter of Jessica's weight, and as I was trying to take a photo of her with it my camera batteries died. So I had to change them before I could continue, all the while she had to hold on to it. Does it look heavy :)

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/teegate/main.php/download/232-1/IMG_5192.jpg

Building the spillway.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/teegate/main.php/download/237-1/IMG_5201.jpg

George explaining the caliber of what we found.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/teegate/main.php/download/240-1/IMG_5211.jpg

Guy

George

Apr 8, 2003
Browns Mills New Jersey
Ariadne and all,
All I can say is Saturday was great and thank you so very much. The Hanover excursion was quite an experience. It was a wonderful pleasure to meet such a nice group of people. I did not know all of that was there. The history of the area was very well presented. Thanks to all.

Soon I will be going back there to explore a few of the places Ariandne pointed out that we did not walk.

Guy, were we really off that much? It was still a nice outing.

George

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
George said:
Guy, were we really off that much? It was still a nice outing.

George

Yes we were. I uploaded the coordinates again and they still did not show up. Odd! Anyway, I did them manually and they are now in my GPS.

Guy