Harrisville Ruins

ebsi2001

Explorer
May 2, 2006
southern NJ
LARGO said:
Sorry to resurrect an off original topic of this thread but......
I was at Borgata this morning with a customer/buyer and the windmills are right out in site. Now, these things are placed strategically on the best possible supply source of wind. The are actually architecturally beautiful right out in the marsh if you will. Mesmerizing to watch. Now, again I had background noise but I heard nothing standoutish. That they are really all that harmful to birds is questionable. You would have to have dense flocks going in there for any serious possibility in my opinion. I do not believe however, for the good of the Pine Barrens, that there is a super area that would benefit their need for wind supply. Seems as though these big bastards need some serious drive.

G.

No need to be sorry, LARGO, your input adds to the knowledge base.

During periods of relative meterologic quiescence in S.J., as the pine barrens heat--up each day, I propose that the updraught of warm air would be sufficiently strong enough to power the turbines economically.

However, it seems that on a large number days of the year, winds prevail across the pine barrens from the west or northwest, often quite strongly, and The Pinelands being relatively flat pose no hindrance or deflection, and, thus, I propose, no disadvantage of placement of the turbines.

ebsi

ebsi2001

Explorer
May 2, 2006
southern NJ
Wind Speed

The National Climatic Data Center has a neat listing of Average Monthly and Yearly wind speeds for several places in the US...

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/online/ccd/avgwind.html

Unfortunately, there are NO listings for places in The Pine Barrens. The closest seems to be Atlantic City with an Annual Average Wind Speed of 9.8 mph, and Newark with an Annual Average Wind Speed of 10.2 mph. Even JFK and LaGuardia come in with higher average speeds: 11.8 and 12.2; and Philadelphia comes in at 9.5!

I ASSUME , therefore, that the average annual wind speed in "The Pines" would be at least 9.5 mph. If the average annual wind speed of 9.8 mph for Atlantic City is strong enough to power those wind turbines economically, then, I would imagine that 9.5 mph would be "sufficient," as well...

ebsi

ebsi2001

Explorer
May 2, 2006
southern NJ
bobpbx said:
... I have been known to think about things differently than the general population. ... <SNIP> If we use up a portion of wind to make energy, are we having an effect somewhere down the line by stealing from the natural cycle?

Bob,

Most people do not give any thought to "thinking." "Thinking" is a complex process that requires training, but most schools/colleges/universities, etc. do not "teach" "thinking," per se...

For many people, the thinking process is rather straightforward (from "A" to "B" to "C," etc.) and one dimensional (If their thinking has "breadth," it has no "height," and visa versa). "Experienced thinkers," think "two dimensionally:" height and breadth. Savants, some precocious "geniuses" and geniuses think in "three dimensions." Very few people think in four dimensions: H.G. Wells was one of them. Today, if he were still around, he would be called a "futurologist." Many so--called "futurologists" in today's world are high--priced, rip--off "artists"...

There are some people whose "thinking" defies categorization. Their thinking is analogous to travel to another part of the universe via a "wormhole." One such person was Nicola Tesla, who demonstrated (much to the chagrin of Edison and Westinghouse), for example, that electricity could be transmitted through the ground, without cables, and it could be used by anyone without charge!

There is nothing inherrently "wrong" with "thinking differently," Bob: I do it all the time! I have been fortunate to have come into contact with some really fantastic teachers, who "challenged" me, and moulded and "channeled" my thinking processes.

From what I understand, "electricity" is never "used up," i.e. the flow of electrons goes from the generating plant, through the wires, and back to the generating plant where it is "grounded." As I understand it, the electron flow does its "work," as the result of "resistance" in the system. However, the amount (number) of electrons in the system is virtually unchanged...

I percieve wind energy to act in a similar manner. As you mention, winds are caused by solar heating, or by the flow of air from high pressure areas into low pressure areas. If there is a wind turbine in an air flow, the air flow will turn the blades of the turbine, but the amount of the air will be essentially unchanged. I don't think we have to worry about "using--up" the air... :)

ebsi

ebsi2001

Explorer
May 2, 2006
southern NJ
"Green" Gas

During a trip in The Pines about a month ago, I observed that a few households had solar energy collectors in their side/front yards. A couple of these were of "considerable" size, and their size gave me reason to contemplate their energy output...

Evidently, with the popularisation of hybrid automobiles, some people are considering running them using electricity derived from wind energy...

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/science_nature/story/6475317p-6327913c.html

...makes one wonder when we will start to see an influx of windmills on private properties in The Pines...

ebsi

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
ebsi2001 said:
I percieve wind energy to act in a similar manner. As you mention, winds are caused by solar heating, or by the flow of air from high pressure areas into low pressure areas. If there is a wind turbine in an air flow, the air flow will turn the blades of the turbine, but the amount of the air will be essentially unchanged. I don't think we have to worry about "using--up" the air... :) ebsi

My 'thinking' leads me to wonder at that statement you just made. The amount of air may be unchanged, but what about the velocity and temperature, will that be unchanged? How can that be? We have all stood in a cedar swamp and watched the outside world in a tumultuous gale while we were unfettered and unfazed by the windstorm outside. So, there is proof that trees "block' wind, and force it to change direction. Does that cause the ecosystem on the other side of that swamp to "be" as it is because it is sheltered from the wind most of the time? Would a wind farm block the wind enough to disallow the normal pattern of seed distribution in a particular area? Would it disrupt the migratory routes of birds, insects and butterflies? Would it disrupt onshore cooling breezes sought by vacationers and everyone else? Just my "thoughts"........

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
ebsi2001 said:
...makes one wonder when we will start to see an influx of windmills on private properties in The Pines...

I just don't know how practical it is to do that on a small scale. I remember about 30 years ago when I moved to upstate NY. Windmills were very popular then and I saw a bunch of them sprouting on private properties. I think there were some tax incentives which made this popular at the time. I was very interested in it myself, and did a lot of research, even going so far as playing around with designs for "do it yourself" windmills.

As the years passed, interest waned when they didn't really deliver the kind of savings people expected, not to mention maintenance issues. Maybe the scales have tipped enough now to make it viable though?

BTW.... why are we discussing windmills and artesian wells in the "Harrisville Ruins" thread in the photography forum :confused:

ebsi2001

Explorer
May 2, 2006
southern NJ
bobpbx said:
<SNIP>...The amount of air may be unchanged, but what about the velocity and temperature, will that be unchanged? How can that be? <SNIP> ..., there is proof that trees "block' wind, and force it to change direction. Does that cause the ecosystem on the other side of that swamp to "be" as it is because it is sheltered from the wind most of the time? Would a wind farm block the wind enough to disallow the normal pattern of seed distribution in a particular area? Would it disrupt the migratory routes of birds, insects and butterflies? Would it disrupt onshore cooling breezes sought by vacationers and everyone else? <SNIP>........

My mother is a "solar dryer" --- has been since she set--up houskeeping in the 1930s. We live in a housing development that was started in the 1950s. Most of the houses were single story, ranch--style homes with spacious side and backyards. Mom always preferred a northwest wind 10--20 mph, because it was a dry wind. If she could take advantage of such a wind, she was very happy, because the clothes dried quickly, and there was no residual "damp feel" to them.

About 10 years ago, the "carpetbaggers" got interested in our development. One after another, the ranchers were razed, the lots subdivided and new houses (skinny, three--story "monstrosities") sprung--up, like fungi after a warm, spring rain. Although the wind may still come from the northwest, because there were so many tall houses close to (surrounding) our backyard, the wind was "deflected" and Mom had to hang her laundry differently, in order to get it to dry quickly.

So, yes, Bob, buildings(New York, Philadelphia, etc.); homes, especially in developments, groves of trees, etc. can (and do!) deflect the direction of the wind, at least locally... Go to New York on a breezy, cold winter day in winter (like the day John Glenn had his tickertape parade) and observe how the winds ROAR down the avenues. Step behind a building, and the calmness almost makes one feel "warm" in comparison...

Cool, damp winds passing over hot, arid areas will become drier and warmer. Conversely, hot, dry winds passing over bodies of water will become more humid and cooler. Dry winds passing through groves of trees will also become more humid --- and cooler.

Your questions regarding a windfarm and its effect on normal seed dispersal, migratory routes of birds, insects, etc., and the possible disruption of cooling breezes sought by summer vactationers are not easily answered. Originally, my contemplation involved the use of only one (or a "few" --- at most) larger wind turbines in The Pines for tertiary ww treatment, so ww effluent could be "channeled" into those areas where it would serve to "recharge" the acquifers and promote a more--or--less "constant" maintenance of the Pinelands ecosystem.

However, if very large numbers of people, living in a relatively small area, start erecting smaller windmills to provide their vehicles with "green energy," it would seem that they could possibly have some localized effect on the things you speak of, but I have absolutely no idea to what extent the impact on the status quo would be!

ebsi

ebsi2001

Explorer
May 2, 2006
southern NJ
Harrisville and Wind

Boyd said:
I just don't know how practical it is to do that on a small scale. I remember about 30 years ago when I moved to upstate NY. Windmills were very popular then and I saw a bunch of them sprouting on private properties. I think there were some tax incentives which made this popular at the time. I was very interested in it myself, and did a lot of research, even going so far as playing around with designs for "do it yourself" windmills.

As the years passed, interest waned when they didn't really deliver the kind of savings people expected, not to mention maintenance issues. Maybe the scales have tipped enough now to make it viable though?

BTW.... why are we discussing windmills and artesian wells in the "Harrisville Ruins" thread in the photography forum :confused:

Boyd,

Last questions first. I am interested in Harrisville: How long it was active, "viable," etc. My father took me there many, many years ago, but I don't remember much from the visit. Some of the people I've interviewed mentioned the site in connexion with the artesian well --- and how it "intrigued" them, and how it attracted their attention as youngsters. I read Father Beck's account of the well, but could not "picture" it in my mind. Because of my disability, I don't "get around" much, and when I do, the places/people I visit are very important to me/my research. Harrisville is not on my "short list." However, many of you have visited the place. Guy has "Then and Now" photos of the well, and through the kindnesses of the list members, I, too, have had the opportunity of revisiting Harrisville.

I think differently than most people: Part of it has come from many years of training... When I "approach" a subject (or a problem) mentally, I view it in "3--D." It's somewhat like looking at a cut diamond from the back end: The pointy, back end represents the ("original")subject or the problem, and the cut facets on the front end represent connexions to various "areas" that relate in some way to the subject, or the problem... Some of the facets are rather tenuous, and their connection to the subject or the problem may only seem "obvious" to me, i.e. they require some explanation...

Artesian Wells interest me: always have.

Artesian wells run constantly: 24/7/365; and some of them have done so for a century or more. We are talking about fresh, potable, water: Water that is flowing out, "unchecked" and virtually unused from our underground acquifers.

Rampant overdevelopment of the region, coupled with draughts, possibly caused by climate changes attributable to pollution and deforestation further threaten our water supply. In the 1950s the "pressure head" of the Cohansey Kirkman acquifer, measured offshore, where it emptied into the ocean, was purported to be in excess of 50 feet. Today, we are experiencing a "negative pressure head," caused by severe drawdown, which has allowed salt water to intrude into our acquifers. The problem is so severe that some drinking water wells in Cape May have been closed, and desalination (reverse osmosis) plant(s) have been erected! As a result, the price of fresh water has increased dramatically, and it may exceed the price of fuel, if something is not done soon!

I inquired if list members knew of other artesian wells. I inquired about the water quality, the depth of the wells, the rate of flow, and the "fate" of the flow. If the running water flows immediately into the bay, or into a fast--moving stream or river, it is not being "economically" utilized. However, if it flows into a pond, or into a slow--moving, or winding stream, it has a greater chance of being absorbed into the soil, and may ultimately help to recharge its "acquifer of origin."

Man has the "curious" perception that things that are "put out of sight" are of little or no concern to him. Correction: They most definitely are! Treated wastewater effluent, which contains salts, heavy metal ions, virus particles, spores and dangerous "non--digested" organic molecules of all sorts, is summarily "disposed of" in the nearest stream or estuary. This is not good: It has a negative impact on the flora and fauna. Furthermore, the millions and millions of gallons of water that have been removed from our acquifers has become "sullied" with pollution and, as such should not be used to recharge our water supply --- unless we institute tertiary wastewater treatment, especially (and particularly) reverse osmosis. Reverse osmosis requires a lot of energy. Furthermore, the waste stream from the reverse osmosis process will require "energy intensive handling and inactivation." In addition, if water obtained from reverse osmosis plants is to be used to recharge our acquifers, energy will be required to pump the treated water into The Pines where it will be able to absorbed by the environment...

Huntington Beach, California, is considering building a reverse osmosis plant to satisfy the burgeoning need for fresh water. The proposal is highly contentious, and the issue of energy resources is part of the debate.

If we consider building a reverse osmosis plant, we, too, may well enter into the same debate. Electric energy derived from traditional power plants, or from nuclear power plants is not "clean energy." Power plant owners are hesitant to upgrade their plants to remove pollutants.

Wind energy is an alternate source of energy. It has its own "problems," but some of them may be "small" in comparison, if we were permitted to erect small, delocalised "wind farms" in "The Pines"...

Some people are interested in erecting wind generators on their properties. Again, there are "issues" with this desire. However, maintenance issues notwithstanding, the generated energy could impact our environment in a positive way...

I have been very interested in wind generators for more than four decades. It was perhaps in the mid--60's that I first read about "home grown" wind generators in Mother Earth News. They seemed to be too "clunky" then, and I was dubious with regard to their efficiency. Whether or not today's "crop" of wind generators are economically feasible is well outside of my knowledge base. However, from recent reports, especially with regard to the recent increases in energy of all sorts, wind energy may well become/or may already have become an economic and environmentally safe alternative energy source.

Interested in your own, personal "wind generator"?...

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=257512

ebsi

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Well maybe you took my comment in the wrong light. I am also interested in all these things, and I also understand how the discussion morphed from Harrisville photos into wind generators. But my point was that we now have a thread which appears to be about Harrisville photos to a new visitor to the site. If you had started new threads on each of the topics (artesian wells, wind power, etc.) then more people might participate in the discussion.

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
I saw an article about a wind generator that was invented in Australia,and is designed to "fly" at 15000 feet where the winds are constant.It is tethered to the ground by the same cable that would also conduct the electrical energy that the device produces.
The article said that six hundred of these things could replace all the nuclear power plants in the U.S. That is alot of power. There were no photos and the article was vague about whether this was conceptual or if the technology was already in prototype.

ebsi2001

Explorer
May 2, 2006
southern NJ
Now it's carz!:jd:

Boyd said:
Well maybe you took my comment in the wrong light. ... <SNIP>...

Boyd,

A couple of days ago, I had chance to view part of a rather "funny" film about an "undertaking establishment." It starred Robert Morse, Robert Morley (The establishment was in England.), Jonathan Winters (the funeral director) and Liberace (as the funeral salesman) --- along with some other comedians...

Liberace asked Morse if he wished to have an "Eternal Flame" for his departed uncle. Morse answered in the affirmative. "Will that be the 'Standard Eternal' or the 'Deluxe Eternal?', queried Liberace. "What's the difference?" Morse asked. "Well," said Liberace, "With the 'Standard Eternal' the flame only burns from dusk 'til dawn, but with the 'Deluxe Eternal,' the flame burns 24 hours a day!" answered Liberace. "The 'Deluxe Eternal,' of course." said Morse... "Propane or Butane? Propane burns bluer!" queried Liberace. "Propane, definitely propane!" exclaimed Morse.

So, Boyd, in what "light" was it that you think I took your comment? Propane, butane or acetylene... :rofl:

Boyd said:
...<SNIP>If you had started new threads on each of the topics (artesian wells, wind power, etc.) then more people might participate in the discussion.

I have been known to cause baldness in list administrators and in some librarians! :D

The same thought came to me. When someone showed a somewhat strong interest in artesian wells in The Pines, I suggested he start a thread, but, todate, I have yet to see that thread... Perhaps, I have missed something?

BTW: Recently, in connexion with the bit on small windmills, I submitted a link to an article about using wind energy to recharge the batteries on hybrid vehicles... Now, a Silicon Valley outfit wants to mass--produce speedy electric carz...

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/business/technology/story/3318691p-12224537c.html

I guess the "push" is on to get to Harrisville quicker than the other guy, and be eco--friendly, too! :jd:

ebsi

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
ebsi2001 said:
A couple of days ago, I had chance to view part of a rather "funny" film about an "undertaking establishment." It starred Robert Morse, Robert Morley (The establishment was in England.), Jonathan Winters (the funeral director) and Liberace (as the funeral salesman) --- along with some other comedians...

Hey - you forgot to mention John Gielgud! That film, The Loved One ("The motion picture with something to offend everyone!") has always been one of my favorite movies from the 1960's. It's funny that you mention it because I just watched it again myself for the first time in many years; it was like seeing a long lost friend! I looked in vain for this movie nearly every time I shopped for DVD's, and it simply had never been released. For the heck of it, I had a look again 3 days ago at Borders and there it was - that really made my day! It has just been released (June 20) and is definitely a "must see" in my book (although if you don't identify with the 1960's you might have a hard time with it). The scene you describe with Liberace is worth the price of admission by itself, especially his final line, "Oh Mr. Barlow, you'll be the death of me yet!" Also worth watching the documentary on the disk.

Anyway, this is taking us even further off-topic and has nothing to do with the Pines, but I just couldn't resist :)

http://imdb.com/title/tt0059410/

ebsi2001

Explorer
May 2, 2006
southern NJ
Le Tour France

Boyd said:
Hey - you forgot to mention John Gielgud! That film, The Loved One ("The motion picture with something to offend everyone!") has always been one of my favorite movies from the 1960's. ... <SNIP> ...

Anyway, this is taking us even further off-topic and has nothing to do with the Pines, but I just couldn't resist :)

http://imdb.com/title/tt0059410/

Thanks for the name of the film, Boyd, and for the link! I shall add it to my "short list" of future purchases, along with Bulldog Drummond:dance:

I only got to see a small part of the film, so I missed Milton Berle, James Coburn, John Gielgud and a few others... The "Mr. Joyboy" character was also "off the wall." He seemed "familiar," but I did not recognize Rod Steiger...

The last few days have been hectic for me, since I have been following Le Tour France on OLN. Otherwise, I would have attempted to identify the film myself...

Le Tour France: "What has that got to do with Harrisville?" you might ask. Possibly nothing, but it does have something to do with Chatsworth and the "Ritzendollar" family... :jd:

ebsi

ebsi2001

Explorer
May 2, 2006
southern NJ
Personally I can't think of anywhere that I'd like to see such a thing built in the pines. But of course, if it's on private property and there isn't a specific prohibition then no doubt it will happen someday. I believe there's already a wind farm right outside Atlantic City, isn't there? Seems like coastal areas would be the logical place to locate such a thing.

How about here?

By MICHAEL MILLER Staff Writer, (609) 463-6712

DEP approves sale of B.L. England plant
$12.2 million deal valid as long as buyer assumes cleanup responsibility, agency says

Must be more of " 'em high--flyin' pigs from Texass..." (ENRON)

By MICHAEL MILLER Staff Writer, (609) 463-6712
Published: Tuesday, November 14, 2006
UPPER TOWNSHIP — The B.L. England power plant is a step closer to getting a new owner.

The state Department of Environmental Protection signed off on the sale as long as the buyer, RC Cape May Holdings, agrees to assume responsibility for cleanup costs.

The company, a subsidiary of Houston-based Rockland Capital Energy Investments, now needs approval from the state Board of Public Utilities.

Meanwhile, the state is relinquishing its claim on the property. The DEP under former Commissioner Bradley M. Campbell reserved the right of first refusal to buy the bayfront property if Atlantic City Electric followed through with its initial plan to close the power plant.

RC Cape May offered Atlantic City Electric $12.2 million in August to buy the 447-megawatt power plant on the Great Egg Harbor Bay. The sale includes all environmental liability associated with the sprawling plant, which uses coal and oil for fuel.

“NJDEP has determined that (RC) Cape May has the financial capability, technical capability and recent history of compliance,” the agency said in a 26-page agreement transferring environmental obligations to the new owner.

RC Cape May will assume all environmental liability for the plant, including any contaminated soil or groundwater. One exception is a violation that occurred before 2004 for which Atlantic City Electric paid $674,000 in fines in January.

“That claim was for groundwater contamination from leaking oil pipes or oil leaks at three facilities, including B.L. England,” Atlantic City Electric spokeswoman Betty Kennedy said.

All three sites have been cleaned up, she said.

Both companies face a March 31 deadline to get final state and federal approvals. At that time, RC Cape May can withdraw its offer if the approvals aren't granted.

“We're still assuming it will happen early in the first quarter,” RC Cape May President Scott Harlan said.

Under the DEP agreement, RC Cape May also must make pollution upgrades to the coal-fired power plant to reduce emissions of mercury and other contaminants. The company faces deadlines in 2007 and 2009.

“The bottom line is if we don't make the upgrades, the administrative consent order does not allow us to operate the plant,” Harlan said.

Likewise, the consent agreement calls for RC Cape May to clean up the property if the plant should close.

“There's no way we could back out of the remediation,” Harlan said. “The DEP would have the financial assurances adequate to them.”

The sale also needs approvals from the U.S. Federal Energy Regulatory Commission.

“Those are fairly standard. We should be getting them soon,” Harlan said.

Harlan said he is confident the plant will make money.

“It makes sense that someone owns and operates this plant. It's a very good plant, a critical plant,” he said. “At the same time, it's a good investment.”

To e-mail Michael Miller at The Press:

MMiller@pressofac.com

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/news/story/6931864p-6795017c.html

Well, Mr. Johnston's got a good idea!

By: ROBERT JOHNSTON, Egg Harbor Township

B.L. England site is perfect for wind turbines
Published: Friday, November 17, 2006

Regarding the coal-fired B.L. England power plant:

I realize that people consider this plant an environmental hazard, but the complete removal of this plant would severely harm the financial well-being of Upper Township. Citizens would have to dig deep into their pockets to cover the taxes lost if the plant were not there.

An idea that should be considered would be to convert the plant into a windmill generating station. Its location on the bay, with no high obstructions for miles in all directions, should make it a perfect site for this type of power. Also, the existing power lines and other existing equipment at the plant could be used to reduce the cost of the conversion.

Not only would this be a clean source of energy, but also a great source of financial help for the people of Upper Township.

ROBERT JOHNSTON
Egg Harbor Township

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/opinion/letters/story/6941385p-6803940c.html

ebsi2001

Explorer
May 2, 2006
southern NJ
The Press Answer Guy

Q.: Which homes in the area are receiving electricity from the windmills in Atlantic City?

Answer Guy:

Electricity produced by the five towering turbines at the Atlantic County Utilities Authority’s wastewater–treatment plant likely goes far beyond the region’s borders. But pinpointing homes that receive it is not as easy as you might think.

“Consumers do not actually purchase their power directly from the wind farm, but agree to allow a clean power provider to purchase a portion of their energy from a renewable source on the customer’s behalf,” Atlantic City Electric spokeswoman Betty Kennedy said.

Among those sources is the wind pushing the ACUA turbines, which produce enough energy per year to power 4,000 to 5,000 homes, according to Kennedy. Most of that energy doesn’t go to homes, but is used at the ACUA treatment plant.

The Authority has used 10 million kilowatts of the first 17 million produced for the plant. The remaining 7 million kilowatts have been sold to the PJM Interconnection, the regional power grid that serves Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware and other states.

“While it is most likely that the energy is used somewhere in new Jersey, to say that is not entirely accurate. It could be used anywhere in the PJM,” said Paul Copleman, ales and marketing operations manager for Pennsylvania–based Community Energy, Inc., which co–developed the project.

Once it’s in the grid, the renewable energy is no different from electricity generated by burning fossil fuel, Kennedy said.

And while you can’t buy it directly, consumers who want to support clean energy can enroll in the New Jersey CleanPower Choice Program. The program lets electricity users request, for a higher monthly cost, that a supplier purchase renewable energy such as wind–generated power on their behalf. The purchase is verified by state regulators before it is put into the regional grid.

Kennedy says 809 residential customers and 10 commercial/industrial customers participate in the Cleanpower Choice program in Atlantic City Electric’s service territory, which includes the eight counties of southern New Jersey.

For more information on the New Jersey CleanPower Choice program, visit <www.njcleanpower.com>.

The The Press of Atlantic City, Section “C” “Region,” Sun., 26 NOV 2006, p. C–1.

ebsi2001

Explorer
May 2, 2006
southern NJ
I don't know, Ebsi, whether wind power is such a great idea along the Atlantic Flyway for migratory birds.

I agree: This is something that ought to be investigated/monitored closely. Are you listening Atlantic County Audobon Society?

There has been much discussion in the press on this subject, especially in relation to constructing a wind farm near Cape Cod. Edward Kennedy is opposed to the project. One of the objections he cites is that the wind farm would be located along the Atlantic Flyway for migratory birds...

Evidently, in 2004, CEI and the New Jersey Audobon Society agreed to study the question.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0OXD/is_2004_Dec_16/ai_n8578882

The wind farm at the ACUA is now in existence. Migrations have already taken place. Have the results of those studies been made public --- especially in regard to the number of dead/dying birds at the base(s) of these structures? I know of none, but, then, I'm not on the "inside"...

ebsi