haunted graveyards

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
To answer the OP's question, in my opinion the definitive Pine Barrens cemetery would be the one in Pleasant Mills. It's got a lot of old graves with old family names in it, including the grave of Jesse Richards.

As for ghost stories, as others mentioned, this isn't really the type of board that deals with that sort of stuff, although it's an interest of mine. Henry Charlton Beck felt that Atsion was haunted, and South Jersey Ghost Research caught some apparent EVP's there (which you can find in the link I gave you earlier in the thread.)

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Yonaguni,
Over 300 cemetaries. Kudos. Do you actually ever find what it is you're looking for? Read the forums and find the insult you hurl in that you believe you have a patent on preserving anything other than snapshots.
Wierd NJ contributor... not exactly bragging rights there.

Ben,
While this goof has probably already stomped Pleasant Mills, I'm surprised you bring it to attention? Perhaps I misunderstand but I myself would not bother to mention a single place, most of all that one for sake of respect.

g.

Jan 3, 2007
Cherry Hill
Since I haven't said anything about this topic yet Ill throw in my two cents. I believe in ghosts yet I do not believe that they would hang out in cemeteries. Ghosts most likely are located in places where a tragic death has occurred, hence the reason for the ghost to hang around. The whole thing about ghosts is that they only linger if their life is taken either by themselves or by the hands of another. Untimely deaths. The only story, make that stories I have heard of a graveyard haunt, takes me back to my hometown of Exeter/West Greenwich RI. The stories of Mercy Brown and Nellie Vaughn. These supposed "vampires" are supposed to be hanging around their tombstones in the cemeteries that they were "killed" in. The thing about this story that is weird is that they weren't murdered... at first. Supposedly they died from tuberculosis and their families and townsfolk reported seeing them after their deaths. To get totally crazy on you guys, due to these reports many people believe that they were not infected with tuberculosis, they believe they were infected with HVV, check out http://www.fvza.org They exhumed the bodies and found no decay, only that the hair and fingernails had grown unreasonably long and that their veins had begun to show through their skin. They cut out their hearts, which were full of blood, and burned them on rocks next to their grave sites.
::shrugs:: I went to their sites many times as a kid, one was right down the road from my house. We never experienced anything not at night, during the day, on a full moon, on Halloween, nothing. Though now that I think about it, we never went on the anniversary of their exhuming....
...So that went off on a tangent eh?
*edit: I forgot to add, the main difference between these two ladies stories is that Nellie's story is supposedly a case of mistaken identity, and her ghost appears in order to clear her name of this vampire accusation.

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
I went to Mercy Brown's grave a few times. It's on my site and my photos of it will be in an upcoming Belgian book. The guy is following the footsteps of Bram Stoker. Supposedly Stoker got some ideas for Dracula from the Mercy Brown story.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
WTGB said:
Ghosts most likely are located in places where a tragic death has occurred

Why? And is there any scientific research to vindicate this?

As for ESVs, methinks the sober and down-to-earth explanation is that it is most likely caused by radio interference and cross modulation coupled with pareidolia.

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
Heres a story for ya! I always felt where I moved from was haunted. I would suffer continual disturbing dreams of groups of dead people. It was a "witchy" lady who suggested I hang a dreamcatcher. I was desparate enough to try it, and it worked. Also here, I had a dream of my dead uncle. He was young though, in the dream, and was at the old Sooy Place house where I used to live. I asked him what he was doing there, his reply was, "I came to get your father". Two weeks later, my dad died, quite unexpectedly I might add.
Now that I have moved, Iam no longer bothered with these dreams and need no dreamcatcher. Even my son added how much more peaceful it is here in our new house. Funny since I came from a country setting to living in a row home.

yonaguni

Sep 3, 2007
my ghost

The graveyards that ive had experiences are largly the very old forgotten African Amcerican ones....few and far between they are...just feelings of being watched and footsteps etc...

my biggest experience came near my own house in lawrenceville i was photographing a grave because of its odd shape

when i looked at the photo later to the right above another stone a white cloud appears

when zoomed in on a ghostly had was visable..this was in broad daylight..went back many times but nothing

As far as preserving gravestones many people dont do it right

the size,shape,type of stone and if listed carver of the stone should be noted along with any inscription of name and or quote along with location..all this should be written down and published if just for records

most people say their "preserving" a graveyard and have never done this

I was once chased off a small family plot by people claming to be "preserving" it..every stone was face down with its inscriptions being rubbed away....

By spring next year i should have visited every cemetery in the state...

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Here's my odd mist photo. This was the only photo of the day that had this mist.

aab.jpg

Anyway, how do you go about getting information on the stone carver? Does the cemetery have those records? Have you been to the Quaker Cemetary in Farmingdale that's in the middle of the highway? It's on Stu's site - http://www.stuofdoom.com/qc.html

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Here's my odd mist photo. This was the only photo of the day that had this mist.

aab.jpg

Anyway, how do you go about getting information on the stone carver? Does the cemetery have those records? Have you been to the Quaker Cemetary in Farmingdale that's in the middle of the highway? It's on Stu's site - http://www.stuofdoom.com/qc.html

She was 19, pretty and very excited. She was just crowned Pizza queen of the 1977 Burlington County Pizza Festival. She paraded across the stage to cheers from the crowd as a middle aged man in a tux sang "there she is, the Pizza Queen". A large sheet with the words "Pizza Queen" spray painted across it hung, from the light fixture. Then, at the height of all her glory, she backed too close to the new dough mixer demo model that shared the stage with her. A loose flap of her gown got caught by the mixing claw and she was pulled into the oversized mixing bowl.

By the time they got to her every bone in her body had been crushed and torn from her flesh. All that remained intact was her head. It was a gastly and tragic sight. To everyones horror and amazment, the nearly decapitated head looked to the crowd and in a dying breath uttered "Pizza Queen.

Now, whenever someone unthinkingly spray paints "Pizza Queen" on a foundation or bridge or wall. The ghost of the long dead Pizza Queen appears as a shapeless white mist, much as her once ample body lie shapeless and mangled in a doughmixer.

And if one listens very, very carefully they might hear the faint whisper..."extra cheese"? as the wind cries in mourning.

Jeff

yonaguni

Sep 3, 2007
quaker graveyard

That dosent look like a quaker cemetery to me..usually quakers have very simple very small stones.....those are too big for quakers

Carvers names are usually listed at bottom right or on the back bottom..its tells you alot...i found graves with carvers names listed as on broadyway in NYC from 1880 this on rt 22 hunterton county!!

The gravestone carvers are the unsunbg heros of scuplture many did amazing work worthy of musems and they are unknown by history graveyards are the only place to see their work

Association of gravestone studies keeps a list of them

I ve been trying to find iron grave markers only found in the pine barrens..but no sucess