Have ticks always been a problem?

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
My Dad once bought some Guinea Hens in hopes that they would eat the ticks in his yard. He swears that the the hens failed to digest the ticks and that they shat the ticks out alive. Don't know if that is true or not....

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
OMG that is SOOOO FUNNY !!!!

The hens S _ it the ticks alive! Wow, that is the funniest thing related to ticks I haver ever read!!!!!!!!!!!! LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
I hear chiggers are out already so just in case we all need to be vigilant. I have not had them yet and they are always a problem much later in the season.

Guy

Yeah, they're out. I got into a batch last Monday night in Wharton. It almost takes the fun out of it; next time I'll be better prepared.

Bill

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
35 years ago I never heard of deer ticks let alone saw one. Wood ticks were common and you went out in the woods protected. Here in Florida, the winters are VERY mild, with the exception of rare days in the 40-50's, you're going to see ticks as the day warms. I heard that Guinea Hens are a great natural way to get the ticks out on your property, but I guess training them to walk ahead of you down the Batona Trail would be a tough act to train...LOL!!!:rofl:

Speaking of Florida ticks, are there loads of deer ticks down there Furball?
I'm moving down there on June 9th and hope to do a little hiking if possible.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I was out in the woods on Friday evening and Sunday afternoon, and no ticks. This morning I got one on me while driving to work! I got to work and felt it crawling on me. He must have gotten on me at some point this weekend and dropped off in my truck.

tugwake

Scout
Sep 15, 2008

Jay, I moved here from Florida. The ticks are larger and much easier to see than the little ones here. I never had a problem with them there at all. But the yellow flies, deer flies, sand flies and mosquitos will cart your hiney off. Also, there are several venomous snakes, alligators, and depending on how far south you go.....iguanas, pythons and other exotics that have been dumped and multiplied. Since Florida is tropical, I guess you expected that.

Probably the most scariest creatures in Florida would be Governor Charlie Crist and the palmetto bugs. LOL!

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
Ticks in FL

I have never seen Deer Ticks here, just Wood Ticks. There are a billion different kinds of insects here. I especially love the dragon flies and butterflies---never saw so many in my life! Camping, for me, is totally OUT this time of year here. Dec. to Feb. are the best months--Glorious! Florida is just ALIVE with all kinds of life! If you plan to hike you will need to take along: a gallon of DEET and 5 gallons of H20! LOL! Go to a State Park where there is a Spring, then, when you're done sweating all of your bodies water and electrolytes, and donating most of your blood, you can go swimming in the 73 degree Spring.

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
Thanks for the info furball. I don't see myself doing too many long hikes down there this summer but maybe after a better chance to acclimate over the winter I'll be able to cover some distances next spring.

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
We camped alot in the summer back in the 80's when we were kids and always got tons of chiggers and ticks. I remember my legs being so covered in chigger bites that the sheets would be bloody in the morning from scratching all night. I remember one hike down hampton road in August when the flies were so bad that we ran about a mile with heavy packs and a five gallon water jug. We were so fly bit , it was hard to find a spot that was not bit. I don't ever remember a time when the bugs were not bad in the summer.

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
Jay, I moved here from Florida. The ticks are larger and much easier to see than the little ones here. I never had a problem with them there at all. But the yellow flies, deer flies, sand flies and mosquitos will cart your hiney off. Also, there are several venomous snakes, alligators, and depending on how far south you go.....iguanas, pythons and other exotics that have been dumped and multiplied. Since Florida is tropical, I guess you expected that.

Probably the most scariest creatures in Florida would be Governor Charlie Crist and the palmetto bugs. LOL!

Sorry Star, I somehow missed your post.

I'm not looking forward to dealing with bugs all year round but I figure my odds of getting bitten are half of what most peoples are. Hopefully, if I'm surprised by a venomous snake, it will take it's warning strike at my bolt on leg. Should be interesting. Thanks Star.

jerimichelle

Sep 20, 2008
Hi Star, I didn't get a chance yet to welcome you to the forum so...hey there. Yeah, knee high boots or hip waders (they aren't that uncomfortable) with smooth (not treaded) rubber are very effective against ticks and chiggers. Along with deet, or permethrin treated clothes. Also, constant inspection is very important.

Most would agree with me that ticks, while bad, are not as frustrating as chiggers which are the devil incarnate. We have a little while yet till they get bad, but watch for them. For chiggers, a hot shower with major scrubing is a necessity as soon as you return from the woods.

Most of us spend our time hiking the deep woods in the chigger off season. The dead of Summer is best for vehicular travel and canoeing/kayaking.

I am excited for you to be getting into the pines for the first time. There are alot of amazing things to experience here.

Jeff
I agree with Jeff that smooth rubber hip waders are very effective against the stem of ticks and chiggers while out in the wilds. For being such a big, brawny guy, I dont mind snakes at all but will admit a strong adversion to ticks (donno, they just creep me out). So yeah, even in my deepest wood adevntures, I've found a good pair of hippers covered in deet keep the little b*stards at bay very well, which is a good thing.

Well, here's looking towards my first outing in the pines. I've been all over the woods and hollows of Mass, and now it's time to hike in the infamous NJ pine barrens!! Actually very much looking forward to that.

-Bill-

tugwake

Scout
Sep 15, 2008
Sorry Star, I somehow missed your post.

I'm not looking forward to dealing with bugs all year round but I figure my odds of getting bitten are half of what most peoples are. Hopefully, if I'm surprised by a venomous snake, it will take it's warning strike at my bolt on leg. Should be interesting. Thanks Star.

You're very welcome, Jeff. I'm here if you need me! Let me know if I can help. I spent the majority of my life in Florida from one end of the State to the other. Good luck with your move and have a safe trip.

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
You're very welcome, Jeff. I'm here if you need me! Let me know if I can help. I spent the majority of my life in Florida from one end of the State to the other. Good luck with your move and have a safe trip.

Someone has Jeff on the brain!:rofl:

Any hiking trails near Venice?

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
How do you like that, I'll be! I have never seen a deer tick here in FL, but your map shows otherwise. I go protected either way, it just makes sense. Good info, Sue! Thanks!
You are quite welcome. And FYI, deer ticks are not the only ticks to avoid. All of them are capable of carrying some icky disease, so it's a good idea to use repellent no matter where you go! Lyme disease is just the tip of the iceberg and if I had to pick one to get, I'd probably pick that. There is also Ehrlichiosis, Babesiosis, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, etc. None of these are good. If a tick bites you and you think you can relax because it's not a black legged tick, think again.

Sorry about the scare tactics, but that's just the way it is! :clint:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was getting dressed this morning and scratched my back and felt something. I looked on my hand and it was a swollen tick that appeared dead, but it fell off and hit the carpet before I could really tell. I looked for a while but could not find it.:siren::bang:

Guy