Have you seen or heard something you cant explain?

bigfootmorf

Jan 8, 2006
Brownsmills
I am currently investigating possible bigfoot encounters in south central NJ,especially in the pines.Dont laugh,i am 100% serious.Dating back decades,there have been many reports of possible encounters in the pines.I am interested in hearing from people who may have had experiences.No jokes please,serious people only.If youve had an experience you cant explain,please give me a shout,and i will listen without passing judgement.Some people are scared to open their mouth for fear of ridicule.You dont have to worry about that from me! Thanks for reading this! And in the meantime,see how common bigfoot encounters are in NJ by going to:
http://strange.myeyez.net/bigfootnj/
or to www.bfro.net

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
bigfootmorf said:
Attention Have you seen or heard something you cant explain?

Hell yes! On numerous occassions:

1. First off, I HAVE been married a few times!, and

2. I have seen and heard far more times than I've ever been able to understand purportedly serious questions from supposedly thoughtful "really serious" people about the existence of "Bigfoot."

I've long thought the Cosmos to be replete with such a plenitude of amazing real things and documentable phenomena to wonder about in serious cogitation that one need not resort to inventions of ridiculous fantasy to abate the sad boredom and vacuity of an otherwise unoccupied and incurious mind.
Sheesh!~ I just re-read that.
Sort of pompous.
I really ought to get a grip.
...maybe tomorrow...

but then again ... what's the western range of the Jersey Devil...? I swear there's these big hoofprints in the snow on the north side of my house that reapperar on the south side... Jes maybe...could it ... Naaaaaah!

Bottom line: Myths can be fun and culturally defining, enriching, and instructive, but let's do recognize their limits.

Night all,
Dave

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
Hmmm...something I've seen or heard that I can't explain?

sq-yoko-ono-profile_tibet-jb.jpg

Definitely Yoko Ono.

bigfootmorf

Jan 8, 2006
Brownsmills
uuglypher

so what you're saying,is that people all over the state,not just in the pines,for many years,have had these encounters,and they're all just legend or lore? Sure,some of these people could've been mistaken or exaggerating,or flat out lying.But numbers dont lie! Are there that many people out there making stuff up?I dont think so.Try a google search for bigfoot new jersey,or bigfoot bass river,or bigfoot bear swamp.You may be surprised by how many people have reported stuff.Do i know 100% that it's bigfoot?Of course not,but on the other hand, we can't say it's not.That's what my aim is,is to research,look for clues,look for evidence,to prove or disprove peoples claims.We're talking a large variety of witnesses,families,police officers,hunters,etc.It's not fair to dismiss their claims right out of the gate.It's no wonder people are afraid to speak up sometimes,because they're afraid to be labeled liars,or crazy.Anyone who reads these forums knows well,that the pines are made up of millions of acres of forrests,swamps,and bogs.Theres plenty of room for all kinds of animals and creatures to survive.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
bigfootmorf said:
so what you're saying,is that people all over the state,not just in the pines,for many years,have had these encounters,and they're all just legend or lore?

Sounds about right to me. But when you have some hard evidence I'll be happy to consider it...

Ariadne

Explorer
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, WV
bigfootmorf said:
so what you're saying,is that people all over the state,not just in the pines,for many years,have had these encounters,and they're all just legend or lore?
I’ve been thinking quite a bit about the Jersey Devil of late, and it’s all wrapped up in my head in these theoretical terms and Marxist bull, ending up something like a symbol for a class struggle, and a clash between agrarian and industrial economies, and a harbinger of war and suffering. It’s all mixed up with the mystique of the pines, and the fear of post-Industrial people who can survive “off-the-grid,” a fear of disappearing, and the lack of structure to a superimposed Georgian culture that does not adequately support the lowest socioeconomic classes. I end up with the Jersey Devil as cultural rebellion, a statement of expressed resistance to a national economy that never quite fit the ideology of the Pine Barrens. I end up with the Jersey Devil as REAL.

By that, I do not mean that I think there is a literal beast running around the pines torturing livestock. My scientific, rational mind understands this. But what I mean to say is, the Jersey Devil exists as a cultural heartbeat, and a lasting impression of something uniquely Piney that will not, not ever, die.

I was going to quote INXS now, but thought better of it. 

That being said, there are fabulous mythical beasts all over the world, in many cultures, but the singular thread that seems to intact is that they are universally cultures on the cusp of development, on the ledge, so to speak, of massive socioeconomic changes. (I am referring only to CURRENT mythical beasts, not ancient ones, which are much more easily explained). So, to answer your question, the Big Foot may be real. He may be real in this philosophical, theoretical sense, because he means something to you. He may be an identifying feature, a cultural banner for you.

He may actually, literally exist, although my skepticism does not agree. But hell, no one had ever seen a mountain gorilla until the last century. No one thought Native Americans could build the great earthworks of the Midwest. No one thought the world was round. There’s endless possibilities in the universe, but remember the scientific method is not anecdotal.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Very well put. I share your "definition" of the Jersey devil as stated in your first paragraph. I suspect many on this forum view the Leeds devil in much the same way, however, depending on an induviduals situation, the list continues...to many, if not most, piney children through out the past two hundred years he has been that thing that goes bump in night, the boogie man in the closet for suburbanites, the Jersey devil for the pineys. The fear of the dark and the unknown for the non-local who breaks down in the middle of Wharton state forest in the night. OR for the campers, the ultimate not-so-urban legend. If not for these perspectives the devil's claws wouldn't seem quite so sharp. Just wanted to recognize this. Yeah, to me it will always be the heartbeat of a culture as you stated it. A representation of a state of mind, a common attitude shared within a sub-culture.

BTW- good call on not quoting INXS!!

Jeff

bigfootmorf said:
.....Anyone who reads these forums knows well,that the pines are made up of millions of acres of forrests,swamps,and bogs.Theres plenty of room for all kinds of animals and creatures to survive.

That is true that there is room for them to exist but the question is where do they exist? When you look at the Pines as a whole you've got to think that they are so vast and some places are so remote that there could be places for them to live and not be found. I would argue however that there is not one square foot of the Pines that has not been touched by man in some way. In the 18th and 19th centuries the Pines were heavily used by man. Huge tracts of forest were cut to be used as fuel for furnaces and other industries as well as heating homes. Vast amounts of cedar were cut from the swamps to be used for ship building. Even into modern times the cedar has been harvested. I am sure that if we were able to travel back in time we would not recognize our beloved Pines as there would have been far fewer trees than there are now. At one time you could see from Batsto all the way to Crawley's Landing as there were no trees to block your view.
My personal experiences in the Pines also lead me to doubt the existence of bigfoot. For the past two years my interest in the Pines has been interior explorations. By that I mean that I do not use roads or trails to explore the Pines but bushwhack through the forests, swamps, bogs and savannas of the Pines. I have yet to see any place that there is not evidence of man. Sometimes it may seem that man has not been there in many many years but he has been there. I have not seen evidence of bigfoot. I'm 6'3" tall and go 235lb and leave a pretty deep foot print. A creature as large as a bigfoot is reported to be should leave a huge footprint as well. Why aren't their tracks found all over the Pines? Where is their scat? Where are their bones? Where are their homes? Why, in over three hundred years of man inhabiting the Pines, hasn't one been killed or captured?
There is no evidence to support the existence of bigfoot. Not in the Pines. Not anywhere.

Steve

bigfootmorf

Jan 8, 2006
Brownsmills
I dont want to debate you,

I dont want to debate you,and i am not trying to make you share my point of view,what you say makes sense.If there are bigfoot in NJ,i am sure they are not overflowing like the deer population,there may be only a few.I do differ with you on one point,there are millions of acres of swamps and pines,and I would bet,not every inch of it has been seen with human eyes,and even if it was,a creature could still hide.Maybe thats why people have seen and heard weird things,because they were in the right place at the right time.Timing is everything.Ive seen a couple people on this site say that they've looked and looked for bears without seeing any,but we know that they're here!I'll use Bassriver again as an example.Over the years there have been several reported encounters,and i am not talking about a bunch of drunk partying teens as witnesses,these are responsible adults,one was even a state trooper.Did they see bigfoot?I dont know,but maybe they did.People are seeing and hearing things in the pines,and in other areas too,and I just dont think it's fair to dismiss them as hoaxers,or liars,or crazies.I appreciate peoples input to this thread,and i respect their opinions,no matter what side of the fence they fall on.Thanks for posting.

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
bigfootmorf said:
But numbers dont lie!
Hi. Bigfootmorph.
The truth of an assertion or the validity of a concept is not, and never has been able to be determined by the number of believers therein, only by weight of objective evidence in support of testable hypotheses concerning the truth or validity thereof. Mere numbers of "believers" might, to some. lend credence to astrology, creation "science"/intelligent design "theory", the Leed's Devil, werewolves, and vampires, but cannot be construed as proof thereof. Were mere numbers sufficient we could also determine which religion or denomination is possessed of ultimate, final, and real "truth" based merely upon its putatively unexceeded number of adherents.

As for other aspects of my basic stance on the existance of "bigfoot", my previous post lays them out, I believe, reasonably clearly.

Dave