Heislerville/thompson's beach road

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I know this has been talked about before, but has anyone hiked from the observation deck on thompsons beach road to the beach area? Is this possible anymore, or has the bay completely reclaimed it? Is there old houses still out there since it seems like there is quite a network of roads. Also are these old gravel pits out there, here are the google earth coordinates, 39°11'38.03"N, 74°59'50.75"W. I would like to treck out there to the beach, don't mind getting muddy just don't want to drowned.
Thanks
Chris

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I would schedule my visit to the parking lot at or near high tide.
If the road out is passable, you will have no problem.
If it only becomes passable during the ebb, then you know you have a good 6 hour window to explore following the ebb and the beginning of the flood.
Full or new moons would be worse.
Here is the tide site that I use all the time:
www.saltwatertides.com
Here is the link to the Delaware Baytides.
http://www.saltwatertides.com/dynamic.dir/newjerseysites.html#delaware
Select Riggins Ditch Heislerville and then select your days.
The moon phase is given too.
Scott

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Thanks alot Scott. Is the road out just all marsh or is their forest out there too? It looks like there is some forest around the old gravel pits.

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
I've been out there a few times, the first time at low tide, the second time.....not at low tide. It's possible to get through, but I highly, highly recommend waders. If you don't have any (like I didn't), bring shoes or boots you don't care much about.
Most of the trail is muck, but you eventually get to some spots of asphalt. Woods don't touch the trail; it's marsh all the way.

Frolickin

Explorer
Apr 21, 2003
Millville, NJ
rdowens.net
I time my explorations for low tide. I have never had a problem.

Of course, the beach is available by kayak too. I highly recommend timing high tide properly based on the length of time you'll be there in going by water. Low tide means there is not enough water to get back. I know this from experience. :(

Swamp Thing

Dec 27, 2007
I live in this area and no those are not pits but salt hay meadows.Yes you can walk out to the beach at low tide.last time I was there their were some old ruins from small sheds left out there,can't say their still there.Their are no pits anywhere near that area it's very low lying and either marsh,swamp or very low wet woods.
Bryant