Here comes the hot weather

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Maybe they just don't want to pay the extra wage for holiday/weekend. The roads without the lights are just super dangerous because when people see no light and aren't thinking to check they just go across full bore. This isn't even taking into consideration peoples relentless desire to validate there lives by being at the beach or shore on the weekends...its just creates total chaos.

As always though the capital barrens was undisturbed, bright sun, great day...heaven on earth.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Maybe they just don't want to pay the extra wage for holiday/weekend. The roads without the lights are just super dangerous because when people see no light and aren't thinking to check they just go across full bore. This isn't even taking into consideration peoples relentless desire to validate there lives by being at the beach or shore on the weekends...its just creates total chaos.

As always though the capital barrens was undisturbed, bright sun, great day...heaven on earth.
Not the money.Its heavy damage and a lack of man power.
Public Service Energy and Gas (PSE&G) workers are helping to restore power to Atlantic City Electric (ACE) customers following severe storms that cut off power to so many in the latter company’s service area.
The help comes as part of an agreement among nine utilities - Mid-Atlantic Mutual Aid Assistance - by which the companies help each other restore power in such cases.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
My DSL connection went down Saturday and just now came back up. Still no electricity here, but the generator is keeping the well, refrigerator and small appliances running. No air conditioning but that's not too bad. Cell service has not gone down.

Just got back from shopping trip. The town of Mays Landing was still all shut down, although there are signs of life. They put stop signs at the intersections where the lights are out, and on my return trip the traffic light at the McDonalds was working. Rt 50 North was closed in downtown Mays Landing. Still saw a lot of downed trees and power lines. But in a several cases the trees have already been cleared and they are ready for the power crew to do their job.

Things appear to be back to semi-normal along Rt 322 at the Hamilton Mall. Filled up my gas cans at the Wawa. Had a nice lunch at a restaurant and soaked up the air conditioning. :) Was surprised that the Acme was open and there were only a handful of other shoppers there. The meat and frozen foods aisles were blocked off while they were looking at the condition of things. Lots of good fresh produce though - I got everything I needed with no problem. Plenty of bottled water. They were rationing bag ice, two to a customer (no ice at the Wawa). They said they were running on generator power.

AC Electric is estimating my power will be back on July 4. All in all, I feel very fortunate since this has just been an inconvenience to me where others are really suffering. There are lots of bucket trucks on the roads and crews are busy working in many locations. I guess takes time to mobilize everyone. But still, it just feels like they waited until Monday to really get serious about repairs.

Hope everyone else is OK. :)

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Thanks. Actually, my electric and phone wires are underground from the road to my house (~1,000 feet). That is a really good thing, since several big trees fell across the driveway and would have taken out wires. Never checked, but maybe there is already a requirement for that in Atlantic County? My house was built around 1996 I think.

But I was thinking about this today, it seems like we see more and more of these big extended power outages anymore. Or is it just the fact that there's more reporting of them because of the internet and cable? My guess is that it has more to do with "urban sprawl" where the suburbs of all our major cities just keep expanding. And people like the suburbs (and the country) because they have lots of trees. So the wires that only served a few hundred farms 20 years ago are now feeding developments with tens of thousands of people. Probably isn't practical to bury lines on that kind of scale.

Germany is 138,000 square miles. That's about the same as NJ+PA+NY+VA. Kind of hard to compare that with a country the size of the US. Considering all the problems they're having in Europe, I am happy to be here instead. :)

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
combine with the heavier curtains (to go with the awnings of course), are helping cool this tinder box much more than I thought. It is a ninety nine outside but only seventy eight inside with the windows open.

On my fourth day without power, and I have learned a lot about passive temperature control. :) Just a few simple tricks are making a huge difference for me; at 2:30 PM the outside thermometer reads 95 in the shade and my living room is a pleasant 73 degrees. When the outdoor temperature climbs above the indoor temperature, I close the windows and draw the blinds. I close off the rooms I'm not using if they are warmer than the room I am using.

Tacking quilts over the sliding glass patio door and kitchen window during the morning sun has made a huge difference. When the air temperature drops below interior temps at night, the shades go up, the windows are opened and I run a fan to suck in the outside air. It got down into the 60's last night, and I have been able to preserve a lot of that cool air inside today.

Work is continuing in the Mays Landing area and some of the businesses were open with most of the traffic lights working today. Drove down Rt 50 between 322 and Mays Landing, and I can see why it was closed. Just south of the 322 intersection there was heavy damage. Several of the power poles are leaning over the road at a 45 degree angle and they had the lanes shifted to allow crews to work.

Still a lot of downed lines on other roads though. I wonder if the repair effort will slow down tomorrow due to the holiday?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Yeah, have been watching that approach. Hard to tell what it will do later tonight. But my power is back on at the moment. Came on for just a few minutes earlier this afternoon, then off. Back again now and seems to be holding. If nothing else, it should be enough to warm the water a bit so I don't have to take another cold shower. :)

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Yeah, have been watching that approach. Hard to tell what it will do later tonight. But my power is back on at the moment. Came on for just a few minutes earlier this afternoon, then off. Back again now and seems to be holding. If nothing else, it should be enough to warm the water a bit so I don't have to take another cold shower. :)
Glad to hear your power is on! I hope it stays on for you Boyd

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Much of western Atlantic County was particularly hard hit. Wires still look like spilled spaghetti all along my road a week after the storm. I don't see how repair crews will get here for another day or two, since we are the last place at the end of a long circuitous run of service line. It is literally on the wrong side of the tracks. For those of the main path it is back to the 19th century, although electric is slowly returning to "downtown" Richland.

S-M

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Soon, very soon :D

126301209.jpg

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Not so soon for me. We have only just begun July, and August is usually the hottest month. Looks like we might get out of the 90's on Monday though.

They are all pretty much saying Saturday will be the worst, an 'in the frying pan' day. A good day to stay inside and work on the genealogy stuff.

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Woo-hoo!

Four Asplundh and two Davy bucket trucks on our road this morning. Hoping for electric restoration by Saturday. Prolonged power outages is a price we are willing to pay for solitude, although hauling water is getting a bit old. I wonder if the abandoned hand-pump well by the old homestead ruins has potable water? It might be worth testing for resurrection.

S-M

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Hope you get back online soon Mark. Four days seemed like forever to me. I'm lucky there was no damage to the lines on my road, because there are only 4 houses and I'm sure that would have also been a low priority.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Nasty gust front on the incoming storm! Keep a watchful eye out for trees damaged from last week. The storm is hitting the greater Trenton area now and it is blowing hard. Lots of lightning!