Hessian Burials

Moi? Ben—I had no idea you find me so intimidating! :)

From the beginning, I only sought to help you help yourself in improving your writing; nothing more, nothing less. And I have witnessed that improvement first-hand with each new text I edit for you. So, I can play the Arnold role and be the Intimidator, if that’s what it takes! ;)

Now—get back to writing your book! Or I’ll be back!!

Hasta la vista, baby!
Jerseyman

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
When a man uses such words as penultimate and ruminate. Use caution. Just kidding! The Duke even owned the fishery that this yummy shad was caught by and Whitman consumed. It is a sin that he died shortly after those precedings in 1911. I plan on going to the St. Mary's cemetary to find his grave. I am also curious onto the whereabouts of his bloodline. I believe he had 10 children.

It is stated as he had the biggest political powerhouse that ever existed in the state of NJ.

Here is a picture of the obelisk that I indeed took a photograph of at Fort Mercer.

http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com/showphoto.php/photo/15218/title/national-park-2ffort-mercer/cat/500

There's also another big guy with a horse I have so I am not sure which structure you are referring to. However, this seemed to be one of the oldest structures they had.

Very disappointed that my adventures have been thwarted today due to the inclement weather :(

Jerseyman, rock on!

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
I am super-thrilled today! I scoured old St. Mary's graveyard today. I found my secret lover! I looked everywhere. A man who owns a mechanic shop in Gloucester pulled into the cemetary. His family takes care of it. They have a book at the shop with all the families.
2012-09-04_16-59-46_91.jpg
that were buried there. He said there are Native American soldiers also buried on the grounds. Wow! All I can say is its hard to get a little misty-eyed. I counted 7 children buried there with him. Including a Billy Jr. Sad to see kids vandalized some of the tombstones. I am giddy as a schoolgirl now that I found him and got to pay my respect. Now, onto finding where the racetrack once stood!

I am super-thrilled today! I scoured old St. Mary's graveyard today. I found my secret lover! I looked everywhere. A man who owns a mechanic shop in Gloucester pulled into the cemetary. His family takes care of it. They have a book at the shop with all the families. View attachment 2469 that were buried there. He said there are Native American soldiers also buried on the grounds. Wow! All I can say is its hard to get a little misty-eyed. I counted 7 children buried there with him. Including a Billy Jr. Sad to see kids vandalized some of the tombstones. I am giddy as a schoolgirl now that I found him and got to pay my respect. Now, onto finding where the racetrack once stood!

Pineywoman:

Congratulations for finding Thompson’s grave, despite the rainfall. As I recall, he had five children that survived to adulthood: William J. Thompson Jr., Sarah A. Thompson, John Thompson, Leon Thompson, and Rufus Thompson. As I recall, it was the last-named who had the statue cast that sits today at the entrance of Proprietors Park.

I hope you do not think me too forward or hypercritical, but fingers on the chalkboard for me is always the misspelling of the word “Cemetery.” There is only one correct way to spell it and it NEVER contains an “a.”

I would be rather dubious of a repair shop owner telling me that Old Saint Mary’s Cemetery contains the remains of “Native American soldiers.” I would definitely need to review primary-source documentation for that assertion!

The Gloucester Racetrack stood below Charles Street between Water Street and Pine Grove. Christofer Hannevig arrived in South Gloucester during 1916 and constructed the Pennsylvania Shipbuilding Corporation yard. When the United States actually entered the fray of the First World War, Hannevig then formed the New Jersey Shipbuilding Corporation and erected a second shipyard on the downriver side of his first yard. The combined companies contracted for the construction of a brick office building to administer the two shipyards. To clear the way for the new building, the workmen had to demolish the old South Jersey Jockey Club, which faced the river. The racetrack stables stood near the intersection of Charles and Elm until a bad fire swept through them. During the twentieth century, Atlantic Refining owned the former racetrack property and dumped the asbestos stripped from their refining equipment on their Point Breeze refinery along the Schuylkill River. It is the oldest petroleum refinery in Philadelphia, began by the Atlantic Petroleum Storage Company in 1867. Horsemen up and down the eastern seaboard continued to use the racetrack for some years after it closed. It was reputed to be one of the best tracks ever built, so it served quite well as a practice track. About 1908, a farmer rented the old track and planted a variety of crops in the ground, enriched by many instant applications of road apples and horse urine. Hannevig and his colleagues purchased the Pusey & Jones Shipbuilding Company of Wilmington, Delaware in December 1917 and merged all three companies under the P&J name. If you look at the chimney built for the shipyard powerhouse, you will see “P&J Co.” spelled out in the brickwork with white brick.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Moi? Ben—I had no idea you find me so intimidating! :)

From the beginning, I only sought to help you help yourself in improving your writing; nothing more, nothing less. And I have witnessed that improvement first-hand with each new text I edit for you. So, I can play the Arnold role and be the Intimidator, if that’s what it takes! ;)

Now—get back to writing your book! Or I’ll be back!!

Hasta la vista, baby!
Jerseyman

Oh, trust me I'm very grateful for all of your help with research and editing. The site would not be what it is without your help! :)

The book project.... ehhh, it's kind of on hold. I'd rather write for the site right now.

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Hahahaha! I freaking adore you!! Correcting me on my spelling! I had to upload the picture and last text via my phone and could hardly see what I was writing. I know how to spell, hahahaha. I just love your "no fuss" quick to the point debonair-esque quality. (I know you are going to say that isn't a word, just beating you to the punch.)

At the Thompson family plot I found something very odd. There is a Thomas Sweeney 1823-1871 his wife Catherine 1825-1865. John Sweeney 1846-1879, his wife Sarah 1848-1912 and his children all on one marker and buried around the rest of the Thompsons.

After doing research, Sweeney is the maiden name of Sarah and her family is buried there.

The Thompsons included at the family plot: Billy Jr. Richard, Leon (he was in the military), David and a Sarah Fuller (Sarah was on David's stone) and John Thompson.

Interesting on the information of Hannevig. My girlfriend grew up on Hannevig Rd. in Brooklawn (possible Fort Nassau, Lol)

In regards to Two Tuns Tavern, mentioned in old notes of Gloucester Towne. A former teacher of mine lives in it now. It was moved from Lake Drive to 3rd street and mentioned in historical notes of Gloucester City. (The Tavern was in Brooklawn)

I am going to check out the racetrack area.

Thank you , Jerseyman! I am going to meet with the Gloucester City Historical Society as well.

Ben, don't put it on hold! Do it!! A book is forever in history, website may not!

Interesting on the information of Hannevig. My girlfriend grew up on Hannevig Rd. in Brooklawn (possible Fort Nassau, Lol)

In regards to Two Tuns Tavern, mentioned in old notes of Gloucester Towne. A former teacher of mine lives in it now. It was moved from Lake Drive to 3rd street and mentioned in historical notes of Gloucester City. (The Tavern was in Brooklawn)

I am going to check out the racetrack area.

Thank you , Jerseyman! I am going to meet with the Gloucester City Historical Society as well.

Pineywoman:

If you are referring to the old farmstead on 3rd Street in Brooklawn, that dwelling belonged to Joshua P. Browning. It is NOT Two Tun Tavern, which opened in 1737. Given the early date for the tavern, it was no doubt a small structure with one or two rooms for overnight guests. Auntie Highcap kept the tavern during the American War for Independence, but the building is no longer extant.

Regarding the location of Fort Nassau, there is virtually no doubt that it once stood on a small rise at the southern end of present-day Gloucester City. The prominence upon which the Dutch constructed it is long gone today, demolished for filling the swampland where Thompson built his racetrack. The tactical and strategic location was not lost on the Dutch, for this vantage point provided a clear view up and down the Delaware River, up Big and Little Timber Creek, and over across the Delaware to the confluence of the Schuylkill River. No natives could spring a surprise attack on this armed trading post, although the indigenous people did plan one or two such sorties.

If you go to visit the racetrack property, keep in mind that you should view it from Charles Street. It is private property and you should be cognizant of the asbestos that lies under the turf.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Pineywoman,

Here is the original Gloucester High School building on Water Street.
http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.88820005075875&lng=-75.12826144695282&z=18&type=h&gpx=

From there they built a new one on Cumberland Street, which is now the Alice Costello Middle School. In the 1960s GHS was moved from Cumberland Street to where it is to day, out on Market Street.

Here was the location of the racetrack behind the old High School. The old high school football stadium was built in the center of the old racetrack.
http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.88804775477293&lng=-75.12544512748718&z=18&type=h&gpx=

When I graduated GHS in 1958 there wasn’t much left of the old racetrack but we did used it for long distance running practice. Today there is nothing left of the old racetrack or the high school stadium. The entire area is now industrial park as you can see from the map. However, I am sure the Historical society has many picture of the old track.

Don

Don:

I did not know you are an alum of Gloucester High School—that’s great!

The building you identified on Water Street was never a high school. Rather, it was the office building constructed for the two shipyards. This is the building that stands where the South Jersey Jockey Club once stood. The old high school in Gloucester City was at the northeast corner of North Broadway and Monmouth Street.

The top of the race track started about where you have your pin in the aerial photo, just below Charles Street, but from there it extended down towards Big Timber Creek with straightaways on either side of the track extending more than 1400 feet.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
I'm going to retrace Thompsons steps. However, thank you for the asbestos warning. I trek with my son to all these places and do not want him near it. There is an old pier/decking I see at low tide on that strip of land as well. There is also one extending out on a strip of land located at the Wheelabrator site. I'm trying to connect everything. This location I believe (on the Westville portion) is the "Tie off point" that I explored back there. It looks like it is very long. Supposedly, there once was a pier that was over 1700 feet long that Thompson had built. The tavern I am referring to use to be on Lake Drive on the Flowers' property (he developed the patent for the electric wheelchair in Brooklawn). You can see where the building once stood since there is a valley of sort on his property. It was then moved to 3rd street. They say Washington slept there a few times (But he slept everywhere so that isn't a big surprise). I have read reports over the years that it was most likely the two tun tavern.
Guess I am wrong.

I was raised in Brooklawn as a child. All of this history is very important to me.

Don, do you mean Mary Ethel Costello? Alice Costello is in Brooklawn and on Haakon Rd.

Thanks Again. They are also trying to look for an old ship that sunk centuries ago off the coast of Brooklawn. I am very excited about it.

However, I truly love learning about "my secret lover" The Duke. This is a hobby for me. My husband always calls me full of useless history and information. Haha. It is true. I'm just glad I am able to find geeks out there that exist. Just like myself :)

I'm going to retrace Thompsons steps. However, thank you for the asbestos warning. I trek with my son to all these places and do not want him near it. There is an old pier/decking I see at low tide on that strip of land as well. There is also one extending out on a strip of land located at the Wheelabrator site. I'm trying to connect everything. This location I believe (on the Westville portion) is the "Tie off point" that I explored back there. It looks like it is very long. Supposedly, there once was a pier that was over 1700 feet long that Thompson had built. The tavern I am referring to use to be on Lake Drive on the Flowers' property (he developed the patent for the electric wheelchair in Brooklawn). You can see where the building once stood since there is a valley of sort on his property. It was then moved to 3rd street. They say Washington slept there a few times (But he slept everywhere so that isn't a big surprise). I have read reports over the years that it was most likely the two tun tavern.
Guess I am wrong.

I was raised in Brooklawn as a child. All of this history is very important to me.

Don, do you mean Mary Ethel Costello? Alice Costello is in Brooklawn and on Haakon Rd.

Thanks Again. They are also trying to look for an old ship that sunk centuries ago off the coast of Brooklawn. I am very excited about it.

However, I truly love learning about "my secret lover" The Duke. This is a hobby for me. My husband always calls me full of useless history and information. Haha. It is true. I'm just glad I am able to find geeks out there that exist. Just like myself :)

Pineywoman:

If you are referring to the set of pilings that cross the mouth of Big Timber Creek, that is what remains of the trolley trestle that once carried summer revelers to Washington Park on the Delaware. Thompson chartered the Camden, Gloucester & Woodbury Railway in 1893. The line began at the Kaighns Point Ferry in South Camden and extended down through Gloucester, then crossed the trestle over Big Timber Creek, where the line entered Westville and traveled down to National Park, Woodbury, Blackwood and Almonesson. Public Service absorbed the line in 1907.

If you go back through this thread to the beginning and read each post in its entirety, you will find information about the “valley” you mention.

I presume the ship being sought dates to the American War for Independence—is that correct? I think I heard something about it within the past two years.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Jerseyman, I am referring to the decking here.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l196/welcometomyworld25/2012-04-13_15-26-46_367.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l196/welcometomyworld25/2012-04-13_15-28-11_161.jpg

The one you see there is on that property you refer to as the Horse Track near Water Street. It is a small peninsula piece of land that jets out in front of Pershing Street in Brooklawn. Now, if you look beyond that there is more "decking" in the picture and that jets out from the Wheelabrator site (sort of northwest of the picture) on the Delaware/Creek there.

I went back to the thread. A little stumped, he has a marker on another area of the property of Lake Drive of where I am referring to the tavern site. Not sure if he was just suggesting the general area. However, the Valley is the parcel of undeveloped land West of his marker.

I can understand the Wheelabrator "decking" since there is another piece of land perpendicular to the location and would have spanned across.

I'm not sure how they will find this ship due vast dredging over the last century. I couldn't see it possible of them finding anything.

I believe you are correct on the time period on the ship they are looking for.

The decking I am stumped about would be I guess on the land of the vicinity of the horse track. (there's a tire in one of the pictures.)

Jerseyman, I am referring to the decking here.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l196/welcometomyworld25/2012-04-13_15-26-46_367.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l196/welcometomyworld25/2012-04-13_15-28-11_161.jpg

The one you see there is on that property you refer to as the Horse Track near Water Street. It is a small peninsula piece of land that jets out in front of Pershing Street in Brooklawn. Now, if you look beyond that there is more "decking" in the picture and that jets out from the Wheelabrator site (sort of northwest of the picture) on the Delaware/Creek there.

I went back to the thread. A little stumped, he has a marker on another area of the property of Lake Drive of where I am referring to the tavern site. Not sure if he was just suggesting the general area. However, the Valley is the parcel of undeveloped land West of his marker.

I can understand the Wheelabrator "decking" since there is another piece of land perpendicular to the location and would have spanned across.

I'm not sure how they will find this ship due vast dredging over the last century. I couldn't see it possible of them finding anything.

I believe you are correct on the time period on the ship they are looking for.

The decking I am stumped about would be I guess on the land of the vicinity of the horse track. (there's a tire in one of the pictures.)

The wood depicted in the foreground of your photographs is bulkheading that your hero, William Thompson, installed to prevent the creek from washing away soil. I have a drawing in my collection of the work the contractors performed here so Thompson could store his ferryboats and river steamers inside the mouth of Little Timber Creek during the winter months.

The timber visible in the background, I believe, are the pilings of which I wrote earlier that carried the trolley line over Big Timber Creek.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Thank you, Jerseyman. Thompson isn't my hero. He is more like my "potato pancake Irish lover." You folks (yes, another hiney kissing) are my heroes. The creator of the site (Ben) and all of the wonderful thoughtful folks that contribute to it. It is fabulous to see people interested in our beautiful state and history. It is what brought me here. Well, Toodle Loo! I'm off to another "adventure" today. I'm sure I'll find some trouble to get into.

Mr. Jerseyman you are a incredible.

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Btw, I fixed my "heroes" spelling. Beating Jerseyman to the punch. I usually type on an IPad and it likes to correct my words. Sometimes not for the better. Had to go back and fix it before... I was corrected by " The Man" aka. "THE Jerseyman" haha. The adventure today was touring the Whitall House at Fort Mercer...then checking out Water Street....tons of signs to not trespass.... Think Dorothy is going to have to go "crick stomping" at low tide from Brooklawn to the land one day... Hmmmmm.

I'm planning a kayak excursion on the Wading River this weekend.. My son will be staying with his Grandparents...so let the exploration begin! Hahahaha

Yes, I am off my rocker. I start the new job next Monday so trying to get more adventures in!

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Jerseywoman,
I stand corrected. However I will stick my neck out again and say, I think when they first name the old Gloucester High School it was the “Mary Ethel Costello and Alice Costello Middle School”. I couldn’t remember the Mary Ethel part. In any event I played many many basketball games in the Brooklawn School yard, now the “Alice Costello School” but Brooklawn back then as it is today was know for baseball. It’s nice to talk to someone from Brooklawn. And good Luck with your new job.

Jerseyman,
You shot me right through the heart. I can not believe that is not the old high school. The old guys in town always said it was and the high stadium was there behind it. It even looks like a high school, red brick and concrete. However, having said all of this I will not disagree with historical facts. Also, I didn’t know the Monmouth Street School was the high school at one time. I went there up to sixth grade.

I may have to get our old friend Dave Munn to check this out; if he is still around I have not seen him since high school. Just kidding of coarse.

Another good friend was Harry Demarest he was my history teacher. I spent many hours listening to him talk on history.

Don