High Crossing never disappoints

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Happening right now, same puddle. No one is there but the engine is running and the exaust is under water. New York plates.

P1020508s.jpg

P1020511s.jpg

Reactions: Teegate
Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Here's what I don't understand. If you're in a stock truck and are unfamiliar with the area, what makes you proceed thru a puddle like that? If you are from the area and know about the area, what makes you proceed with a stock truck? I just don't get it.

Reactions: manumuskin

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
Al - as long as its running its ok, the exhaust pressure wil keep the water from entering the tailpipe, if it shuts off the water will enter the pipe but likely won 't flow up to the motor unless the truck is real deep and at the correct angle

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Since it is obvious nobody travels that road why fix it? :D

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They may not have had time to damge them before they got stuck :)

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Catching up on posts I missed. Obviously they drive through the middle of those holes on purpose, for the adventure of it I guess. I could navigate that go-round in the FJ, but I would not try the hole. I've been in some pretty deep ones, with water well up over the door sills. Fortunately the FJ has awesome door seals, and I've never had a drop come into the cab that way.

The thing about the holes up around High Crossing and Quarter Mile is that the mudders dig really deep ruts in the bottom when they power through. If you aren't running 33's or larger, and you try to follow the main path through, you risk hanging the differential up on the ridge, which is probably what happened to that guy in the pic. Or maybe he just tried to drive through too fast and ingested some cedar water.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
i know if you jam a tater in the exhaust pipe it stalls the vehicle,I thought water would do the same but I guess there is enough pressure to blow bubbles out.I personally would have walked a hole that looks like that before I ever tried to drive across it.I long ago tired of inconveniencing family and friends to come extricate from situations in which I had become quagmired from my own stupidity.I never mudded for fun but looked at holes as stressful obstacles to be overcome in pursuit of my destination.I still do but am now smart enough to know when to get out an walk.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I never mudded for fun but looked at holes as stressful obstacles to be overcome in pursuit of my destination.

So true. And the destination does not have to be tangible, just a curious question in the mind. "The bear went over the mountain...to see what he could see."

MuckSavage

Explorer
Apr 1, 2005
Turnersville
Here's what I don't understand. If you're in a stock truck and are unfamiliar with the area, what makes you proceed thru a puddle like that? If you are from the area and know about the area, what makes you proceed with a stock truck? I just don't get it.

Because he Googled "Muddin in Wharton" and this YouTube video came up where he seen some dudes, with some beers, and trucks, and they went thru it.............
(kidding of course, but hey, who knows????)

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
You see I've never been much of an auto mechanic and never had more then one vehicle at a time.so if I tore up my one and only vehicle in the mud then I had to spend my hard earned money paying someone else to fix it.I came to the conclusion real fast to be a mudder I either needed to become a mechanic or make a lot more money or have rich parents like a few mudders I knew whose Mommy just went out and bought them a new truck every time they tore one up.I finally decided to wisen up.I finally did get enough money to get a four wheel drive,I learned they can get stuck too,I bought a pair of rubber boots i kept in the truck and I started walking holes.When the hole said "I'll eat your truck"I said to myself "It's time for a walk".