Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Did you mean "Audrey Two"? :)

tumblr_mdz29uinU71rip2cdo1_1280.jpg

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Let me get this straight. Are you guys suggesting that tax dollars should be used to maintain High Crossing Road or are you referring to a differnt road such as Quaker Bridge Road and the likes?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Let me get this straight. Are you guys suggesting that tax dollars should be used to maintain High Crossing Road or are you referring to a differnt road such as Quaker Bridge Road and the likes?

Tax dollars are spent on much less important things so why not fix a road that many people use. I don't see the difference between Quaker Bridge Road and Tuckerton at High Crossing.

Guy

Reactions: Chrisr

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
The only reason people are using it is to see if they can get through those puddles. You can't say that it's a "high traffic" road if 99% of vehicles can't traverse it.

I don't know about filling it in - it removes a big puddle, but also lets people get back to more sensitive spots to damage.

Reactions: Boyd
Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
The only reason people are using it is to see if they can get through those puddles. You can't say that it's a "high traffic" road if 99% of vehicles can't traverse it.

I don't know about filling it in - it removes a big puddle, but also lets people get back to more sensitive spots to damage.

That's kinda my point if we're talking about High Crossing. I don't want my tax dollars paying for a playground for these folks.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
It wouldn't be a playground if there was no mud there, and I think you're being narrow minded about those who use Tuckerton Road and Wharton.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Back before they cut the rails at high crossing I used to take my motorcycle, a big 600cc thumper, and hit that hill/rail southbound at insanely high speeds...highway speeds. I used to compress the suspension at just the right moment and when I hit that rail I would just fly. I would land somewhere beyond where the big puddles are now on the south side.

That was crazy. I was a little slow to aquire that fear of death thing. I'm not proud that I was that reckless but I am proud of myself for surviving. Actually, I was just lucky. Wise is better than lucky, well, lucky is still better but you can't count on lucky.

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
It wouldn't be a playground if there was no mud there, and I think you're being narrow minded about those who use Tuckerton Road and Wharton.

I can't comment on Tuckerton road, since it's been many years since I've traveled it. High Crossing, however has always been a road that, in my opinion, no one should ever want to use as a "daily-driver" road. It's those types of roads that I'm against paying for to be fixed, only to have them torn up within 24-hours. Short of using asphalt or something along those lines, High Crossing has the reputation that will continue to draw the crowd who's only purpose is to tear it up. If you're in favor of the State maintaining High Crossing, why stop there? Why not pay to have 1/4 fixed from time to time to allow "normal travel"? Sorry, I just can't support funding these efforts.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
If they are not fixed the only vehicles that would have access will me the monster mudders. You would be handing Wharton to them.

MuckSavage

Explorer
Apr 1, 2005
Turnersville
Back before they cut the rails at high crossing I used to take my motorcycle, a big 600cc thumper, and hit that hill/rail southbound at insanely high speeds...highway speeds. I used to compress the suspension at just the right moment and when I hit that rail I would just fly. I would land somewhere beyond where the big puddles are now on the south side.

That was crazy. I was a little slow to aquire that fear of death thing. I'm not proud that I was that reckless but I am proud of myself for surviving. Actually, I was just lucky. Wise is better than lucky, well, lucky is still better but you can't count on lucky.

That's Funny Jeff! Ever since I can remember, & I still do it (when High Crossing was High) My dad would sound the horn in his Jeep for multiple long blasts as he approached the Crossing. As a kid, I remember asking "why?" He told me "You can't see over that hill can you?" At that moment, a big 600 flew over the Jeep! (just kidding woth the last part, but the horn story is true)

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
I can't comment on Tuckerton road, since it's been many years since I've traveled it. High Crossing, however has always been a road that, in my opinion, no one should ever want to use as a "daily-driver" road. It's those types of roads that I'm against paying for to be fixed, only to have them torn up within 24-hours. Short of using asphalt or something along those lines, High Crossing has the reputation that will continue to draw the crowd who's only purpose is to tear it up. If you're in favor of the State maintaining High Crossing, why stop there? Why not pay to have 1/4 fixed from time to time to allow "normal travel"? Sorry, I just can't support funding these efforts.

I agree with not spending money on High Crossing road, but main roads like Tuckerton, Quaker Bridge, Hawkins Bridge, Hampton road, etc should be repaired when needed. These roads used to be in good shape and drivable for non 4x4 vehicles. I even took my kids on these roads for early driving lessons! These roads are also a major route used by the Forest Service and Rangers. As mentioned earlier, I would also hate to see the pines reduced to requiring a 4x4 to explore.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
High Crossing is the location where the rail road crosses Tuckerton Road. Tuckerton Road is blocked on both sides of HighCrossing by huge holes.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
That's Funny Jeff! Ever since I can remember, & I still do it (when High Crossing was High) My dad would sound the horn in his Jeep for multiple long blasts as he approached the Crossing. As a kid, I remember asking "why?" He told me "You can't see over that hill can you?" At that moment, a big 600 flew over the Jeep! (just kidding woth the last part, but the horn story is true)

:D

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I haven't been on Hampton Road in over a month or so, but there was stock pile of sand along the side of the road close to 206. The state could have plans to do maintenance again. Is there a specific time of year that this is done? The last time I can recall seeing any work being done was Hawkins Bridge Road in the early spring of this year.