History of NJ Cranberry industry?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I imagine that the early ones without a lot of money backing 'em were not cut straight and may not have had all the ditches cut just so, and were quickly overgrown, and may be unrecognizable today. And even if cut straight, like this one below from 1930, can be almost recognizable in 2015 as shown in the second panel. Kudos if someone can identify where this is.
View attachment 13085
BTW, I was looking over old deed info, and the swamp around the Broom Stones was called "Swago Swamp."

North 24 Degrees East 6.27 chains to a stone on the edge of the upland by the westerly side of Swago Swamp and near a large cedar tree.

That would be here.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
In any event, that upland from the Pinelands Community home to around the road to Wading Pines was surveyed as I mentioned in 1754. Owned by a John Monroe and some of the lots owned by a Timothy Pharo who sold it to Israel Broom. I assume Broom is an ancestor of the people who put in the incised stones.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boyd

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
In any event, that upland from the Pinelands Community home to around the road to Wading Pines was surveyed as I mentioned in 1754. Owned by a John Monroe and some of the lots owned by a Timothy Paharo who sold it to Israel Broom. I assume Broom is an ancestor of the people who put in the incised stones.
Paharo or Pharo?