History of NJ Cranberry industry?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BTW, Balcony Hill can be seen Southeast of that bog on the Cook and Vermeule topo's. The name does not appear on any of the other historical topo maps.
https://online.boydsmaps.com/#15/39.9242/-74.3940/cook

This is on Balcony Hill. Bob, you may remember Elizabeth Morgan wrote about it and we searched for the Azimuth mark

bal.JPG

Reactions: Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I imagine that the early ones without a lot of money backing 'em were not cut straight and may not have had all the ditches cut just so, and were quickly overgrown, and may be unrecognizable today. And even if cut straight, like this one below from 1930, can be almost recognizable in 2015 as shown in the second panel. Kudos if someone can identify where this is.
View attachment 13085

BTW, I was looking over old deed info, and the swamp around the Broom Stones was called "Swago Swamp."

North 24 Degrees East 6.27 chains to a stone on the edge of the upland by the westerly side of Swago Swamp and near a large cedar tree.

That would be here.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
In any event, that upland from the Pinelands Community home to around the road to Wading Pines was surveyed as I mentioned in 1754. Owned by a John Monroe and some of the lots owned by a Timothy Pharo who sold it to Israel Broom. I assume Broom is an ancestor of the people who put in the incised stones.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boyd

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
In any event, that upland from the Pinelands Community home to around the road to Wading Pines was surveyed as I mentioned in 1754. Owned by a John Monroe and some of the lots owned by a Timothy Paharo who sold it to Israel Broom. I assume Broom is an ancestor of the people who put in the incised stones.

Paharo or Pharo?

Reactions: jfrady

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
Dave,

Just yesterday I was looking through some old records and next to Joe Palmer's name it says "see Gosler" so he may very well have come into ownership of the Gossler Bogs around 1940. I wonder how far past 1960 Palmer continued to farm. Also, the name of Palmer's business at the time (early 40's) was the Pomona Fruit Company from New Gretna. I'll keep you posted with anything new.

By the way, I love the personal stories about working on the bogs. This is the kinda stuff that will never get recorded. Thanks for passing it along!
Hi, Oriental, it has been several years since we chatted here, but I am still stymied in trying to locate the bogs I thought belonged to Joe Palmer (Pomona Fruit Co) that I worked in the summer of 1960. You mentioned having found info on bogs owned by Goslrr ( Palmer’s father in law). Do you know of any maps that might show their location?
Many thank for any help you can provide.
I hope this finds you safe from Corvid and well!
Best regards,
Dave Graham

Reactions: Teegate

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
Hi, Oriental, it has been several years since we chatted here, but I am still stymied in trying to locate the bogs I thought belonged to Joe Palmer (Pomona Fruit Co) that I worked in the summer of 1960. You mentioned having found info on bogs owned by Goslrr ( Palmer’s father in law). Do you know of any maps that might show their location?
Many thank for any help you can provide.
I hope this finds you safe from Corvid and well!
Best regards,
Dave Graham
Well, it’s amazing how a fresh outlook help a search: here are a couple informative links (and an extract that includes info on Gossler, his niece and her husband (Joe Palmer) and the Pomona Fruit Co. they inherited from Gossler.
I’d still love to pin down for certain where the bogs owned by Joe Palmer in 1960 were.
Xxxxxxxxxxx
CXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
https://stockton.edu/stories/cranberry-bog-years.html
“The cranberry industry was losing its popularity by the 1920s, and after some 20 years of harvesting, the Lingelbachs sold their farm. After Rider’s death in 1929, his son-in-law inherited the land, but soon after, Gossler purchased it. He built up several other bogs in the Port Republic area, including the 50 acres at Pomona, 70 at Wading River, and 30 at Ives Branch. After Gossler’s death in 1940, Joseph H. Palmer, whose wife was Gossler’s niece, inherited these 150 acres. However, they could not afford to care for all of the land, and so the bogs that the Lingelbachs once carefully tended to, were forgotten”

I hope this is of interest.
Dave Graham

Reactions: Teegate and Boyd