Hunting Seasons Begin This Weekend

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
For those who sometimes seem shocked or dismayed when they encounter gun-toting or bow-toting people in the pines, this Saturday marks the opening of fall bow for deer and firearm for squirrel.
A few zones opened for bow the first Saturday in September but bow will be open statewide this Saturday.
From here until mid-February, there are things to legally hunt in the pines and elsewhere.
Here is the link to the various seasons and bag limits.
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/njregs.htm#hunting
My ocean fishing season is twilighting and now its time to hit the woods!
Scott

foofoo

Explorer
Sep 14, 2003
if your hunting from a tree be sure to wear your safety harness. have a great and safe season. see you in the pines!

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
if your hunting from a tree be sure to wear your safety harness.

I always wear a tree belt at the very least.
I have the full harness which is a lot safer but its a PITA to use.
Fortunately, I have only had one tree stand mishap in 38 years of hunting .
2 years ago while descending, the platform piece came off my feet, fell to the ground and landed on my gun.
I was able to quickly wrap my legs around the tree and slowly slide down while holding the upper section.
The gun had a chip in the stock.
I have high hopes for this year. Its a very heavy acorn year meaning plenty of food for the deer. Last year you couldn't buy an acorn.
Scott

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
My boss came out of his house this morning in Cherry Hill near the Church Road fire house and walked into 4 deer eating his garden plants. They ran a short distance and stopped and looked at him I guess waiting for him to leave and them to eat again. They are everywhere.

Guy

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
It is disturbing to see coyote and fox fair game for bow and arrow (let alone firearm). They should make you eat them if you are going to kill them in cold blood.

Bob
Not too many years ago if anyone shot or trapped fox or coyote they were going to be skinned out and the furs sold. The market is still there but not as active as it once was.
Trappers are slowly dwindling and if a bowhunter takes a fox or coyote today, they are most likely going to get a mount done.
I am going to pusue my trappers certificate this year and hope to be able to successfully trap a fox which I would most likely have mounted.
It's all part of the pines.
Scott

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
can't wait, chance of frost tonight in the pines, and a southeast wind, perfect wind for my favorite stand, it may be one of those magical days in the pines.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
can't wait, chance of frost tonight in the pines, and a southeast wind, perfect wind for my favorite stand, it may be one of those magical days in the pines.

Be careful. We don't want to read about you in the Newspaper section of this site.

Guy

foofoo

Explorer
Sep 14, 2003
fox and coyotes are being forced to live in ever shrinking habitats. there arent many trappers these days so keeping there numbers in check is no different than managing the deer population especially if you like to keep your cat around.in the state of MAINE the coyotes kill up to 40% of the deer populations during the winter. they pounce on deer snowed up in what they call deer yards. they dont always kill for food. a game warden friend of mine up there tells me the coyotes will go in the winter deer yarding areas and kill not just the weak and sick but big bucks and does and anything they can pounce on . cheetahs do the same thing in africa. they will kill impala as if a game and dont eat it all and then kill another. i agree with eating anything you kill but in the pines things never go to waste. how do you think those turkey buzzards get so big.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was out there today and everywhere I wanted to go there was a car parked or a person standing there with their bow. The fall finally arrives making it easier to see and I was hampered by bow hunters. I don't disagree with them hunting with a bow, just the fact that all year long the woods are practically empty where I go, today was packed, and they looked at me like I was trespassing.

I guess you can tell I came up empty handed today :D

We did revisit the EO stone on our route.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/teegate1/EO_Stone.mov

Guy

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I was out there today and everywhere I wanted to go there was a car parked or a person standing there with their bow. The fall finally arrives making it easier to see and I was hampered by bow hunters. I don't disagree with them hunting with a bow, just the fact that all year long the woods are practically empty where I go, today was packed, and they looked at me like I was trespassing.

I guess you can tell I came up empty handed today :D

We did revisit the EO stone on our route.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/teegate1/EO_Stone.mov

Guy

I was walking on a road I walk year round. I rarely see anyone but yesterday I got the same stares, and comments about how others (hikers, dirt bikes, horses) dare to be in their woods. I was quite near Carranza. You'd think they would expect to see people there. They're even in the trees next to Batona camp.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
I was walking on a road I walk year round. I rarely see anyone but yesterday I got the same stares, and comments about how others (hikers, dirt bikes, horses) dare to be in their woods. I was quite near Carranza. You'd think they would expect to see people there. They're even in the trees next to Batona camp.

those hunters are wrong, the woods are for every one to enjoy all times of the year, even for the non-hunters fall is some of the most enjoyable and prettiest time to be in the woods, if they would get in far away from the trails and roads they would not even know any one else was in the woods.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
Be careful. We don't want to read about you in the Newspaper section of this site.

Guy

I am allways careful, the first thing I do is hook my self to my safety harness in the tree, I don not want to be a statistic, the day was magical and I harvested my first deer of the 2006 season, a very nice day to be in the woods.

foofoo

Explorer
Sep 14, 2003
you know the total opposite thing has happened to me in state woodlands. i use to hunt allaire state park and they would allow private stables the right to run there buisness taking people for horseback rides. that land belongs to all of us in the state. they use to make nasty comments all the time to the hunters and leave there horse poo loaded with parasites- ticks and chiggers all over the place for us to walk in. even though it was like that i was polite and always got off the trails when the horses came through so as not to scare the horses especially while wearing camo clothing. i pay over well over 200$ a year in hunting fees and permits. do the hikers pay anything? i say put your money wear your mouth is. if your a true conservationist PAY UP TOO!. if not i think we can all get along. if you hike wharton state on a sunday you wont be bothered by any hunters.there is plaenty of room for all. i dont think sharing things for 2 or 3 months is a big deal. if your in a state game land like greenwood then you shouldnt have much of a say at all. i have seen the damage done by 4 wheel drive vehicles on state gamelands by weekend warriors and searcher types. they dont pay a cent. i purchased that land with my lisence fees.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I often go for a trail run on Saturday in Winslow WMA. Come October, I switch my trail run to Sunday afternoon. I used to bow hunt and may again in the future. I appreciate the money hunters contribute in liscense fees. That money helped buy the land we are on. It's not a big deal for me to give hunters the woods for a few months, they deserve it. That being said, I'll be hunting Pickerel this Saturday at Batsto Lake!