Hunting Seasons Begin This Weekend

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
"keeping there numbers in check is no different than managing the deer population especially if you like to keep your cat around."

I'm not sure if you are talking about house cats being killed by foxes and yote. If you are I laugh, I don't feel bad at all if someones poor little domesticated cat is killed by a fox or yote. They are suppose to be inside, that is why they are domesticated. They are not suppose to be outside kiling ever little snake, rodent, and bird they see. If you don't want them part of the food chain then keep them inside were they belong. Actually just the other day I saw a red fox chasing a cat through my yard... to be honest with you I was rooting for the fox.

As far as hunters vs. others who enjoy the woods I have no problem with hunters. I'm glad they enjoy the woods as do I, for different reasons, but at least they enjoy it. I have more of a problem with people who are terrified of the woods and therefore abuse it. Also I would much rather see a hunter who understands the woods, then a jack ass high school kid on a dirt bike doing donuts in the middle of pristine woodlands like yesterday.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
It is like any recreation in the pines, there are always bad apples. There are always going to be the weekend warrior hunters from out of town who think they own the woods. Or the hunting clubs that move through the woods like a swat team. There are also the local hunters carrying on a long held tradition. Killing their food instead of going to the super market (a noble thing). I'm not a hunter but in the fall I only ride my motorcycle on sundays or stick to the big dirt roads out of consideration.

Jeff

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Guess I'll add my two pence. I also am totally cool with hunters and the prices they pay for their privelage. This may not be a popular comment, but as I see it, Pretty much most allowable hunted animals need to be "kept in check" one way or another and in the end, those remaining benefit from it. Sadly, I like to be out but extremely limit my hunting season stuff to Sundays or anytime I know is safe. Walking/hiking is very risky. As far as taking out the bike, Hunters don't need my noise interrupting their gig and I don't need to ride that bad enough to get my butt shot at.
Of course you get bad eggs, and attitude. Cover enough ground and run into enough people and I guarantee you'll meet an A-Hole from every group of Pines loving folks in existence. Law of averages baby.

On a seperate note relating Piker56's post, while out Sunday with My wife & youngest, we ran into two fellows fishing the lower of the 2 bogs we were on and one had a nice little Pickerel in hand. He said they had some rather large ones earlier but, who knows.

G.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Pickerel "hunting"

This is my favorite fishing time of the year. Cool weather and good fishing. I was out at Batsto this past Wednesday and the day was great. Shared the lake for a while with a Bald Eagle (he didn't catch anything), a Great Blue Heron (he did), had my own private air show compliments of the Air National Guard, and caught some nice fish to boot!

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Cool!! This is a great time of year for fishing but water levels are higher than usual. Which makes it slim pickings. The fall drought is usually a hot time for pickerel. This summer, however, was the best pickerel summer in about 7years.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
if your in a state game land like greenwood then you shouldnt have much of a say at all. i have seen the damage done by 4 wheel drive vehicles on state gamelands by weekend warriors and searcher types. they dont pay a cent. i purchased that land with my lisence fees.

You did? Its your land? What exactly do you mean by "no say at alll".

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I would like to point out to those who don't know, that there is a difference between a Wildlife Management Area and a State Forest.
All are multiple use and open to the general public but the WMA's are managed for wildlife enhancement and fishing resources.
The purchase and managemnet of WMA's are funded by the exhorbitant license and permit fees paid by us sportsmen and women. (Over $300.00 a year in my house)
I personally hunt State Forests for the most part and hit WMA's in the winter for rabbit.
WMA's are a nightmare in the fall small game seasons with the hunting of the stocked birds by the weekend warrior type hunters.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You did? Its your land? What exactly do you mean by "no say at alll".

And what do you mean by "searcher" types?

The property I was on was purchased in the 1940's so I don't think there are many people on this site that put money toward it. I have a right to be there on any day I want just like them. I have no intention of sitting on the side line for two months, so anyone there can expect me to come walking under their stand if I don't see them. If I see them and kept going then shame on me. Until then I walk.

Guy

The purchase and managemnet of WMA's are funded by the exhorbitant license and permit fees paid by us sportsmen and women. (Over $300.00 a year in my house)

I think that is what foofoo meant. The fees he pays go to the maintainance of the WMA's. This is over and above the taxes that he and we all pay.
Does this give him a little more of a right than us (non-hunters) to be there during hunting season? In my opinion, yes. That doesn't mean I will stay out of the woods during that time, but I will be careful and respectful.

Steve

foofoo

Explorer
Sep 14, 2003
first off i would like to say there are good sensible people on this board and we can actually talk about things and the respect for other ideas is fresh to see. as stated by rednek350 the wildlife management areas have been purchased and are maintained today by permit fees. whether lands purchased long ago or not i put my money up every year.for example red oak grove is on state gamelands and i know several have busted brush to find things there. searcher types include myself like to look for things in the pines but if your gonna blaze down a closed off overgrown trails on state gamelands your probably breaking the law as there are designated areas to drive and to park. also new jersey has hunter harrasment laws so if your in the woods and disturb a hunter on purpose you may get arrested. i dont think it would get to that point but i guess it would be up to the game warden.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have never seen anyone in law enforcement out there except two officers of some sort crossing 539 from the Greenwood Forest. The are streached so thin that trying to enforce anything is tough. You are correct that Red Oak Grove and the surronding area's have had their scavengers as Jokerman has mentioned in the past.

Guy

foofoo

Explorer
Sep 14, 2003
i was stopped by a game warden last year. the one that stopped me in greenwood was driving a white un-marked pick up. i have seen police cars in the woods off 539 during the archery season.i also saw a state trooper parked at one of the fields. they are definatley out there. with cell phones now working great in the pines i would think if someone saw a wrong doing it wouldnt take long for someone to whip out there cell phone and call in a violator.its not as vast as it seems anymore.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
In most cases and this is my opinion, if a hunter is bothered by hikers or other non hunters during the hunt, then he may need to hunt deeper.
I have a couple of ace in the hole kind of spots that are a close to populated areas in the state woods and I am occassionally screwed over by some dog walkers, partying teens or quads and sometimes I am not.
I shrug it off when I am interrupted knowing that I am too close to civilization and change my plans frequently.
Scott

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I have never seen anyone in law enforcement out there except two officers of some sort crossing 539 from the Greenwood Forest.

A couple years ago I was hiking around Greenwood and a township police officer came driving by. He asked if I was OK and I said sure, just out for a walk. So he waved and drove on down the road. Looked like he was making his rounds to me.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
In most cases and this is my opinion, if a hunter is bothered by hikers or other non hunters during the hunt, then he may need to hunt deeper.
I have a couple of ace in the hole kind of spots that are a close to populated areas in the state woods and I am occassionally screwed over by some dog walkers, partying teens or quads and sometimes I am not.
I shrug it off when I am interrupted knowing that I am too close to civilization and change my plans frequently.
Scott

That's a cool attitude Scott.

Jeff

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
WMA's are a nightmare in the fall small game seasons with the hunting of the stocked birds by the weekend warrior type hunters.

Weren't we on a hike last fall out on 539 that was a WMA? The place with all the dead game birds by the parking lot.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I think that was "Four Watersheds in a day".

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
i dont think sharing things for 2 or 3 months is a big deal. if your in a state game land like greenwood then you shouldnt have much of a say at all. i have seen the damage done by 4 wheel drive vehicles on state gamelands by weekend warriors and searcher types. they dont pay a cent. i purchased that land with my lisence fees.

Not true-FooFoo.

MOST of the land for Wildlife Mgt areas has been purchased with the Green Acres program funds, which are funded by all the citizens.

In Greenwood, 9,863 acres were purchased by Fish and Wildlife, but 19,849 acres were aquired through Green Acres, and most of the WMA's were paid fully by Green Acre funds. In fact the total is 99,145 bought by fish and game, and 197,679 bought by Green Acres. From the site:

"The Green Acres Program was created in 1961 to meet New Jersey's growing recreation and conservation needs. From 1961 through 1995 New Jersey's voters overwhelmingly approved nine bond issues, earmarking over $1.4 billion for land acquisition and park development."

So if you are going around telling people about how your license fees have purchased all this land, and that we ought to have no say, you'd better back off just a bit.