Hunting Seasons Begin This Weekend

Not true-FooFoo.

MOST of the land for Wildlife Mgt areas has been purchased with the Green Acres program funds, which are funded by all the citizens.

In Greenwood, 9,863 acres were purchased by Fish and Wildlife, but 19,849 acres were aquired through Green Acres, and most of the WMA's were paid fully by Green Acre funds. In fact the total is 99,145 bought by fish and game, and 197,679 bought by Green Acres. From the site:

"The Green Acres Program was created in 1961 to meet New Jersey's growing recreation and conservation needs. From 1961 through 1995 New Jersey's voters overwhelmingly approved nine bond issues, earmarking over $1.4 billion for land acquisition and park development."

So if you are going around telling people about how your license fees have purchased all this land, and that we ought to have no say, you'd better back off just a bit.

197,679 - 99145= 98534
Whoops, looks like Fish and Game bought just a little more. Given that hunters are far out numbered by the general population, the hunters payed a far greater percentage out of their pockets. You also have to consider that their taxes also helped pay for it. In Greenwood they payed 20% of the cost and they are only looking to use it for about 20% of the year. Sounds fair to me.
Like I've said before, I'll enter the WMA's at will at all times of the year but I will give the hunters their space. They've paid for it.

Steve

foofoo

Explorer
Sep 14, 2003
i stand corrected bobpbx.didnt do my homework. i didnt say no say though? i just said not much of a say.just my opinion i feel this way because i put money into the system every year while others stand idle in the sake of conservation. the next time i see mountain bikers in a gameland (and i see them all the time) i will ask them to fire off a 300$ check to the state and see the look i get. the gamelands like it or not may have been partly purchased with green acres money but once purchased my permit fees go to MAINTAIN it . the laws that govern a wildlife management area prevails . the site says 5,400 acres or more have been donated to green acres so the way i see it quite a bit of land still has been purchased by hunters and fisherman permit fees.green acres is funded through bonds and state sales tax.i dont know if your aware there is also an added tax to every piece of hunting and fishing gear you and i purchase most dont know about. the land is there to share and there is plenty of room.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
197,679 - 99145= 98534

Like I've said before, I'll enter the WMA's at will at all times of the year but I will give the hunters their space. They've paid for it.

Steve

You are a shareholder just like they are, and just because they own most of the shares by your calculations, does that mean you should not get your dividends for two months. I think not...

I'll be there in two weeks walking around.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
i stand corrected bobpbx.didnt do my homework.

Thank you foofoo. I appreciate the consideration. I get nervous as a bushwacker. It seems the state caters only to you guys, and not to me at all. This quote from the 2006 State of NJ Deer brochure really gives me pause:

"New Jersey is increasingly becoming a popular deer hunting destination
for out of state hunters who are discovering the quality and quantity of deer
hunting available in the Garden State. Long seasons, liberal bag limits,
large expanses of public hunting land and a healthy deer herd make New
Jersey a largely undiscovered deer hunting gem that’s close to home."

Gee thats great. Its all I need to stumble across some dude from NY or Delaware out there bagging NJ deer. The only reason its easy is that sprawl pushes them into ever smaller areas. Its like fishing in a goldfish bowl.