Hunting

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
Well, once again, the anti-hunting people are showing up on blogs and whatnot.
I personally am not a hunter and don't like seeing lines of hunters flushing deer or whatever to a waiting hunter. Other than that, I really don't have a problem with it.
People who whine about hunters do so from their two acre plots on the edge of a wood that has been depleted of predators. No predators, too many deer. Of course they don't want to see PePe the Chihuahua carried off so all things that can do so must die. Meanwhile, once that's taken care of, they can enjoy their steak dinner that came from an animal who was absolutely terrorized for it's last few days of life. Truck, pen, screams of terror, chute to their death. Sounds familiar. Deer never know, in almost every case, they are about to die and then they never know what hit them.
I'd rather hunt with a camera but I absolutely understand hunting. The whiners are back and they get angry about hunting while they feed Spot a scrap of beef. Please!
Okay, I'm done. Merry Christmas all!

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
The same here Jburd.I don't hunt myself and driving sorta sticks in my craw too but without hunte3rs much of the woods we have today to play in would be subdivisions.There are just so many hunters out there at times it makes me want to leave the woods because of the crowds and I get tired of being whined at about not wearing day glo orange.never did get the camo and dayglo thing??? kind of a oxymoron in clothing huh?
Al

The same here Jburd.I don't hunt myself and driving sorta sticks in my craw too but without hunte3rs much of the woods we have today to play in would be subdivisions.There are just so many hunters out there at times it makes me want to leave the woods because of the crowds and I get tired of being whined at about not wearing day glo orange.never did get the camo and dayglo thing??? kind of a oxymoron in clothing huh?
Al

What bothers me a bit is the fact that we need to hunt the white tails because of a lack of natural predation. Well, we lack natural predation because we've already blown holes in all the critters that might actually hunt a white tail. In northern NJ they're holding the black bear hunts yearly again, and yet if I remember correctly they are no more than 4-5 years removed from the endangered species list. Or were they just threatened?

Either way! Seems strange!

I think the day glow orange is supposedly not visible to deer.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I believe deer can see it though not in orange.any bright solid color stands out to them though in shades of grey or whaever.reflection tips them off but if you freeze and they get no smell they will usually calm down and forget you.the broken up dayglo pattern is better but I still feel retarded walking through the woods looking like a neon sign.
Al

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I hunt, but also find also find deer driving not very appealing. Some will claim it is the only way deer hunters can be successful in the pine barrens, but the deer I’ve taken would beg to differ. I also was very disgusted when they made baiting legal. I prefer to pit my wits against those of the deer (which granted, gives the deer the edge)and also only use a muzzleloading rifle (“real” ones, not the modern abomination known as inline muzzleloaders). The assertion that deer do not have natural predators because of hunting is not quite true however. Deer can and will thrive in a handful of acres, surrounded by human development, but the large predators that once were found here, such as wolves, require hundreds of square miles of uninhabited wilderness. These predators were eliminated from our region by massive deforestation and by government bounties, spurred by a society that refused to have them living among or near them. Hunting is now the only form of predation that will ever control New Jersey deer. Our society cannot even tolerate a reasonable population of black bears among us, let alone wolves or mountain lions. And bears are not a major predator of deer, with coyotes only doing a bit better on them.

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
Growing up with my backyard being Wharton, you'd think i hunt. i don't. I have nothing against it but I was always tied up doing something else when i was younger, now I have 3 sons. Maybe when they get old enough we'll go out. Heres the thing with all of humanity. Not all but most feel the need to bitch about something. This brings the stay at home peopel a chance to be in the spotlight and get attention. What people choose to bitch about is a peresonal preference. Some may bitch about hunting deer. Some may bitch abouit huinting rabbit. Some may bitch about the American Flag. Some may bitch about Obama. Some may bitch about ATVS. Some may bitch about the bird watchers whos bitchin about the ATVs. Some people may bitch about cookie cutter developments. Some people from the cookie cutter developments may bitch about the people bitching about the cookie cutter developments. fact of the matter is, that humanity thrives off of bitching. I choose tio bitch about all of the people bitching that I mentioned above. QUIT BITCHING!!!!!!

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Put me in for Obama,a favorite BITCH subject of mine.Problem is I'm not a stay at homer and I still have energy to bitch.Just bushwacked a half mile yesterday through eight foot high pine plains and then walked four miles to find a knee high stone and probably another two miles by the end of the day in other spots.I'm old,sore,tired and yes I still have energy to bitch about Obama to anyone who wishes to listen:)_
Al

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I found three black ducks shot and left lined up on the side of the road at Bridge to Nowhere. Not cool.

Obama did it.

just joking,I found a female mallard lying dead 50 yards from tulpehocken creek and i know where the duck hunter stashes his boad a quarter mile away.it had shot in it's chest.only thing i can think of is he was in the boat on the creek.shot the bird and was too damnb lazy to get out and look for it.she was lying in open high woods and visible for 50- yards.too much trouble I guess if they don't land in the boat.
al

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
Hunters--Americas other Army

From an email that I received today;

The state of Wisconsin has gone an entire deer hunting season without someone getting killed. That's great. There were over 600,000 hunters. Allow me to restate that number. Over the last two months, the eighth largest army in the world - more men under arms than Iran; more than France and Germany combined - deployed to the woods of a single American state to help keep the deer menace at bay. But that pales in comparison to the 750,000 who are in the woods of Pennsylvania this week. Michigan 's 700,000 hunters have now returned home. Toss in a quarter million hunters in West Virginia , and it is literally the case that the hunters of those four states alone would comprise the largest army in the world. America will forever be safe from foreign invasion of troops with that kind of home-grown firepower.

Hunting - it's not just a way to fill the freezer. It's a matter of national security!

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The state of Wisconsin has gone an entire deer hunting season without someone getting killed. That's great. There were over 600,000 hunters. Allow me to restate that number. Over the last two months, the eighth largest army in the world - more men under arms than Iran; more than France and Germany combined - deployed to the woods of a single American state to help keep the deer menace at bay. But that pales in comparison to the 750,000 who are in the woods of Pennsylvania this week. Michigan 's 700,000 hunters have now returned home. Toss in a quarter million hunters in West Virginia , and it is literally the case that the hunters of those four states alone would comprise the largest army in the world. America will forever be safe from foreign invasion of troops with that kind of home-grown firepower.

Kinda makes you sleep well each night, doesn't it?

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Al

Everyone can have an opinion on hunting, but if you dont hunt, Im guessing you dont have enough info to make assumptions on ethical ways to do it (such as driving deer). Like most hunters, I try to fill my freezer with meat and fowl for food and would never float a duck or leave a deer or bird behind.. thats rediculous. I dont rant to people who put hunting down and then they go shop in the meat and poultry departments. Not sure why some people have so much to say about hunting and know nothing about it (not aimed at anyone here). I try to keep things as organic and humane as possible. If driving the woods helps some of us to do this, Im unsure why a few of you are bothered by it? Maybe you can shed some light as to why it bothers you? Its been a tradition of hunters in the pines for over a hundred years and puts food on the table, as well as keep numbers in check. Driving during shotgun only lasts a week, unlike other open seasons. I can see how some people might be offended by baiting deer, but I think driving the woods is a different ballgame.
Anyway, hunters might "whine" at you because they dont want to shoot you. Dont wear the blaze if you dont want to. For future reference, deer cannot see blaze orange and its so other hunters dont shoot you, especially on deer drives or upland bird hunting (where by law you must have blaze clothing).
On a side note, Im sure many posters on this site belong to different environmental organizations. I just want to add that hunters and fresh water fishermen pay costs for license fees and stamps, as well as donations or yearly renewal fees to many clubs and organizations that spend time and money fighting to purchase and protect wild lands, watersheds, and wetlands. Probably more so than the average person would ever think. I realize no one here is putting down hunting, but wanted to shed some light to a little skepticism I sensed. Here's to hoping everyone keeps an open mind.