Hurry up, hard frost!

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Do you find that the spray ruins the leather on your boots?

Not at all Ben. The sprays are based on petroleum distillates and don't harm the leather.

I wear these American made boots every day:
http://www.chippewaboots.com/boots/utility/29416
Best boots I have owned since my favorite Redwing model (also American made) was discontinued.
The leather is a little dark to begin with and there is no discoloration from the sprays. It may make lighter leather a little dark but who cares, they're boots.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Do you find that the spray ruins the leather on your boots?

Ben, you might consider using a hiking gaiter over the boot and lower leg. I prefer it over the high rubber boots as I can use boots that fit well, and the gaiter weighs nothing. I use the calf high version and treated it and boots with permethrin and no chemicals on clothing, easy on/off and no blood suckers on me.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I have used a wide selection of boots but I can usually be seen wearing Danner Mountain Lights or, for for lighter duty, Bates DuraShocks. The Bates are hard to beat for hot weather comfort and their light weight. They are also standard Air Force issue. Both brands are Rednek approved and made in the good ole' US of A.

I should probably treat both pairs with Sawyer's as a remedy, as well as my socks, but I always remember that I haven't sprayed them when I am on the trail and it is to late.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
.......Both brands are Rednek approved and made in the good ole' US of A.

Thanks Gibby.
You have no idea how seriously I try to live by the made in USA credo.
I will gladly pay more for something that was made here by our people than to blindly buy foreign made goods.

It really isn't too hard to find essential goods and equipment made in the US. As I sit here in my kitchen I can see a Lodge frying pan and Dutch oven, an old US made Swing-Away can opener and a knife block with 12 Dexter Russell knives in it.
As much of my hunting and fishing gear as possible is US made including all of my knives

I am, however, typing this on an HP laptop made in friggin' China !
:mad:

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Just got back from an envigorating, eye gouging outing along the Sleeper trying to find something I saw on Bing Birdseye. My son, me and the two dogs were waist deep in leather leaf and walked at least a half mile through lowbush blueberry to get to where we were going and we picked up not a tick or chigger.

We had to hose both dogs for ten minutes out front because of the Sleeper Swamp mud but I was very pleased with the lack of chiggers. I wore lacrosse knee highs and sprayed pant legs and waist with Cutters. My kid wore khakis that were sprayed with permethrin three weeks ago.

You didn't hear it from me but I think they're gone.
;)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I would never say that until the first hard frost. I had them on me last weekend.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Come on down here if you miss the chiggers. I got several bites on my ankles yesterday and was itching all night. Surprised me because I didn't really go into any brush, just wandering around the woods out back on the trails. I always wear permethrin treated clothes and socks also, but it's been about a month. Gotta get out the Sawyers and douse the clothes down again. I think the chiggers are here to stay, there is certainly no frost threatening them in the forecast.

As for ticks, I almost never see them after August. I'm sure I could find them if I went through heavy brush, but with permethrin and common sense, they just aren't an issue for me.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trombiculosis
Chigger2.JPG

Glenn Walters

Explorer
Oct 2, 2013
I was out on my hike Wednesday and my ankles look like her stomach. Never had them that high either. You cant always protect against them. Just have to make the walk worth the bites.:):bang: Probably be right back out there to add some more this week. If not this week definitely next. Maybe there will be frost by then. haha. Gibby I wear those danners at work and love them. they are work boots though. Hiking boots are good?

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Gibby I wear those danners at work and love them. they are work boots though. Hiking boots are good?

Glenn, I wear the Mountain Lights at work, which is around seventy hours a week. I have found the boots to bullet proof for the most part and they have never needed to be "broken in". I am on my feet and working hard for a living, so my boots are very important to me. The Danner brand has never caused my feet to be sore, but I also wear Bridgedale or Smartwool socks. The combination works for me.

Even though I wear quality boots, chiggers still bite my ankles!:D