Illegal Dumping Pilot Program

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
On my way home this morning I took a few roads that lead me towards Woodmansie, and while traveling down what is Coopers Road I came upon a large pile of shingles that had been dumped along the side of the road. I immediately called DEP and reported it, and after hanging up and traveling a short distance I found two more large piles in view of the paved road at Woodmansie. So I called back and reported them also.

This is from my cell at the first find.

And the second find using my camera.

One larger site is here and the first photo is just NW almost at Rogers Road.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.866418775075424&lng=-74.47181351455686&z=16&type=hybrid&gpx=

Full size if you want to see it. Click on the photo to enlarge it.

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/07202014/IMG_0097a.jpg
Guy

I was out early this morning and the roofing shingles are still there.

Guy

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Took Murph for a run in Parkdale tonight to look for some roosting resident geese at the same time.
Sadly, there is a large pile of dumped material within view of 206 on the entrance road to Parkdale. This pile is about 40' from the edge of the paving on 206. Turn off 206 and look immediately to your right.
These people had balls.

This is the same road that was used to dump the massive shingle pile whose perp was actually located and charged.
This roads needs a camera badly.

See attached.

Attachments

• 0909141825.jpg
    0909141825.jpg
    755.5 KB · Views: 268

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I'd give your post a "like" but it just does not seem right. I really hope one day I catch someone doing that with my camera.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
This is probably the closest to a road I have ever seen a large dumping other than the 275 gal. oil tank we pulled out of the spung on the edge of Chew Road a few years back during the 4x4 cleanup.

I was pressed for time tonight. I want to back and check the wooden box structure on the right in the picture. It looks to be nearly the same dimensions as a pick-up bed and may have been used to hold fruit or vegetable crates on a flatbed truck.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
they dump large stuff like mattresses,recliners and tv's right on battle Lane and route 555 both county roads and right on the shoulder.They dump in the same spots all the time and no one ever gets busted. We only get one day a month down here to dump big stuff and it's on a saturday.I guess not everyone has saturdays off.There is one guy with a trailer you can pay to take your stuff to the dump and anything even remotely metal will be picked up by one of several scrappers within the hour if you drag it to roadside.Once my wife took the air conditioner out of the bedroom window and sat it on the grill.She had to go in the house to get the key to the back building so she could put it in there.By the time she got out of the house there was a guy standing in the yard just about to grab the air conditioner and throw it on his scrap truck.This was not on the roadside but fifty feet back in the yard.She told him to get the hell out of our yard.She was in the house less then two minutes.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
The beat goes on.

IMMEDIATE RELEASE
November 28, 2014

Lawrence Ragonese (609) 292-2994

Lawrence Hajna (609) 984-1795

EIGHT MORE CHARGED IN DEP CRACKDOWN TO COMBAT ILLEGAL DUMPING ON STATE LANDS "DON'T WASTE OUR OPEN SPACE" INITIATIVE YIELDS ENFORCEMENT ACTIONS FOR ILLEGAL DUMPING ON STATE WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT AREAS

(14/P127) TRENTON - The Department of Environmental Protection's (DEP) initiative to crack down on illegal dumping in state parks and recreational lands has yielded eight more enforcement actions, all for disposing of debris and other materials in state-owned natural areas.

The DEP's "Don't Waste Our Open Space" campaign was launched in late March. Investigations of illegal dump sites on state properties by Division of Fish & Wildlife's Conservation Officers, State Park Police, and DEP's Compliance & Enforcement personnel has resulted so far in 28 arrests or enforcement actions.

The program is a coordinated effort of a host of DEP agencies, including Parks, Fish & Wildlife, Solid Waste, Water Resources, State Forestry Services and the Natural Lands Trust. All activities of this new effort are posted on www.stopdumping.nj.gov, a website that serves as a hub for the entire program.

"The results of this program should continue to serve as warning for illegal dumpers that their actions will not be tolerated," said Department of Environmental Protection Commissioner Bob Martin. "Through our investigations, we are showing that no site is too remote to be caught and those who have no regard for the environment, wildlife or people who enjoy the outdoors will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law."

Recent enforcement actions for the illegal dumping initiative, all conducted by State Conservation Officers, include:

* Haroldo Recinos-Castillo, 39, of Penns Grove, was charged with illegal dumping in a Wildlife Management Area and illegal solid waste disposal, after a large debris pile - consisting of paint, insulation, concrete, windows, shingles, motor oil and household trash - was discovered this month at D.O.D. Wildlife Management Area in Oldmans Township, Salem County.

DEP's Bureau of Emergency Response cleaned up the hazardous materials. In addition to charges, DEP is seeking restitution for cleanup of the site. Conservation Officers Wesley Kille and Jeremy Trembley investigated the case.

* Luis Pulla, 47, and Alex Gualotuna, 34, both of East Windsor, were charged with illegal dumping and illegal solid waste disposal after two large piles of construction debris were found at Assunpink Wildlife Management Area in Allentown, Monmouth County, in September.

Both pled guilty to illegal dumping and each were fined $1,500, plus $1,000 each in restitution for the cost of the cleanup. The case was investigated by Conservation Officer Shannon Martiak.

* Robert E. Davis, 41, of New Egypt, was charged with illegal dumping of construction and household debris that was found near the Lake Success section of Colliers Mills Wildlife Management Area in Jackson Township, Ocean County, last month. A court hearing for the charges is still pending.

* Brian K. Rosario, 18, of Egg Harbor Township, was charged with illegal dumping of solid waste, particularly a discovery of pressure treated lumber at Hammonton Creek Wildlife Management Area in Mullica Township, Atlantic County, in July. Rosario pled guilty and paid a $500 fine. The case was investigated by Conservation Officer Todd Vazquez.

* Lyndon Long, 48, of Millville, was charged with illegal dumping of construction debris at Makepeace Wildlife Management Area in Hamilton Township, Atlantic County, in July. Long pled guilty to the illegal dumping charges and paid a $400 fine. The case was investigated by Vazquez and Conservation Officer Joe Soell.

* Clarence Mays III, 29, of Hammonton, was charged with illegal dumping and dumping of solid waste also at Makepeace Wildlife Management Area in connection with construction debris that was discovered by Officer Vazquez in June. Mays pled guilty and paid a $250 fine.

* Christopher J. Daraklis, 18, of Absecon, was charged with illegal dumping of construction debris at Port Republic Wildlife Management Area in Atlantic County in September. Daraklis pled guilty and was fined $800. Conservation Officer Keith Fox investigated the case.

The "Don't Waste Our Open Space'' campaign incorporates strict enforcement of illegal dumping practices, while raising awareness of the problem through outreach and education.
Strategically deployed motion-sensor cameras have been set up in select state parks and wildlife management areas to help nab violators. Information on arrests and charges filed in connection with illegal dumping will be posted on www.stopdumping.nj.gov.

The DEP is being aggressive in its pursuit of civil and criminal complaints against violators. Penalties for illegal dumping in state parks and in fish and wildlife areas will include criminal fines of up to $5,000 per violation and civil penalties of up to $1,500 per violation. In addition, the state also will seek much stiffer penalties for major violations through the Solid Waste Management Act, which authorizes the DEP and county health departments to initiate civil actions for illegal dumping violations.

Illegal dumping, which includes everything from unlawful disposal of construction debris and old TVs and computers to the dumping of car parts and tires-- and even entire vehicles -- has been a growing problem in the state's vast natural holdings in all 21 counties in recent years.
Nearly all of the state's more than 170 publicly owned tracts, including state parks, state forests, wildlife management areas, marinas, and natural lands and preserves, have been impacted by illegal dumping. These lands account for 813,000 acres of state-preserved open space.

For more information on state parks, forests and wildlife areas, visit: http://www.nj.gov/dep/parksandforests/ and http://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/ or visit both on Facebook.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Some of the fines seem really light. If they made a $500 dollar profit on the job that they dumped, and were fined $250, they still were ahead of the game.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
More good news released today by NJDEP !

IMMEDIATE RELEASE
February 17, 2015

Lawrence Hajna (609) 984-1795

EIGHT MORE CHARGED IN DEP CRACKDOWN TO COMBAT ILLEGAL DUMPING ON STATE LANDS
"DON'T WASTE OUR OPEN SPACE" INITIATIVE HAS YIELDED 36 ENFORCEMENT ACTIONS THUS FAR

(15/P15) TRENTON -- New Jersey State Park Police have charged another eight people in the Department of Environmental Protection's (DEP) continuing crack down on illegal dumping in state parks and recreational lands, Commissioner Bob Martin announced today.

The DEP's "Don't Waste Our Open Space" campaign was launched in late March last year. Investigations of illegal dump sites on state properties by State Park Police, Division of Fish & Wildlife's Conservation Officers and DEP's Compliance & Enforcement personnel has resulted so far in 36 arrests or charges.

The program is a coordinated effort of a host of DEP programs, including Parks, Fish & Wildlife, Solid Waste, Water Resources, State Forestry Services and the Natural Lands Trust. All activities of this new effort are posted on www.stopdumping.nj.gov, a website that serves as a hub for the entire program.

"As we approach the one year mark of this important and productive initiative, we continue to seek out these illegal dumpers who have no regard for the environment, wildlife and people who enjoy the outdoors" Commissioner Martin said. "Those who are caught illegally dumping on our properties should know that their actions will have consequences."

Recent enforcement actions for the illegal dumping initiative, all conducted by State Park Police, include:
* Andrew Carter, 38, of Shamong, was charged with illegal dumping and illegal transporting of solid waste after a dump site consisting of construction material, worksite debris and household trash was discovered off of Three Bridges Road in Wharton State Forest. Carter faces a maximum fine of $15,000. The case was investigated by State Park Police Detective Brian Calloway and Officer Thomas Liccione.

* Pawel Klos, 20, of Hamilton (Mercer County) was charged with illegal dumping after an investigation of a dump site consisting of construction debris in the Whitehead Road Parking Lot of D&R Canal State Park in Lawrence. Klos faces a maximum fine of $5,000. The case was investigated by State Park Police Detective Timothy Kasony.

* Dylan Nowakowski, 20, of Ledgewood, was charged with illegal dumping after disposing of construction and household debris on Waterloo Valley Road in Allamuchy State Park in Mount Olive. Nowakowski pled guilty and was ordered by Mount Olive Municipal Court to pay $1,466 in fines. State Park Police Detective Steven Franzone and Mike Flora, with the Morris County Solid Waste department, investigated the case.

* Drew Dash, 24, of Medford, was charged with disposal and transportation of solid waste after several bags of trash and personal belongings were found along an access road at Wharton State Forest in Shamong. Dash faces a maximum fine of $15,000. The case is being investigated by State Park Police Detective Calloway.

* James Cassady, 36, of Lumberton, was charged with illegal dumping after a Burlington County park ranger witnessed him dumping yard debris in Rancocas State Park. Cassady faces a $1,000 fine. State Park Police Detective Douglas Lemyre and Officer Sean Samson investigated the case.

* Dylan Scarpone, 20, of Stanhope, and Christopher Ederer, 53, were separately charged with illegal dumping on Waterloo Valley Road in Mount Olive Township. Both incidents were investigated by Detective Franzone and Flora. Both pled guilty in Mount Olive Court and were ordered to pay $283 in fines.

* Deanna Cottle, 43, of Browns Mills was charged with illegal dumping after being captured on surveillance photos dumping leaves on three separate occasions in the White's Bog section of Brendan Byrne State Forest in Pemberton. Cottle pled guilty and was ordered to pay a $283 fine. Detectives Kasony and Chris Farrer from DEP's Bureau of Solid Waste investigated.

The "Don't Waste Our Open Space'' campaign incorporates strict enforcement of illegal dumping practices, while raising awareness of the problem through outreach and education.
Strategically deployed motion-sensor cameras have been set up in select state parks and wildlife management areas to help nab violators. Information on arrests and charges filed in connection with illegal dumping will be posted on www.stopdumping.nj.gov.

The DEP is being aggressive in its pursuit of civil and criminal complaints against violators. Penalties for illegal dumping in state parks and in fish and wildlife areas will include criminal fines of up to $5,000 per violation and civil penalties of up to $1,500 per violation. In addition, the state also will seek much stiffer penalties for major violations through the Solid Waste Management Act, which authorizes the DEP and county health departments to initiate civil actions for illegal dumping violations.

Illegal dumping, which includes everything from unlawful disposal of construction debris and old TVs and computers to the dumping of car parts and tires-- and even entire vehicles -- has been a growing problem in the state's vast natural holdings in all 21 counties in recent years.
Nearly all of the state's more than 170 publicly owned tracts, including state parks, state forests, wildlife management areas, marinas, and natural lands and preserves, have been impacted by illegal dumping. These lands account for 813,000 acres of state-preserved open space.

For more information on state parks, forests and wildlife areas, visit: http://www.nj.gov/dep/parksandforests/ and http://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/ or visit both on Facebook.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I see leaves dumped all the time. I suspect some people don't think that is illegal.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I just recently signed up for various state newsletters and that automated Majordomo list serve is a mess. The info I received after first signing up was flawed, and even after I was send an automated help message I still could not get it to work. It took 40 emails for me to sign up for 4 newsletters.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I never knew dumping leaves was illegal.Long as you don't dump bags with em.Like I said,it will soon be illegal to take a dump.Oops! I guess it already is. But come on really.Why can't a person dump leaves? Invasive pests?