Illegal Dumping Pilot Program

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
If it's not your property, dumping anything is illegal. The lack of harm it causes isn't exactly relevant. It's much like digging up plants. You could claim taking one itty bitty mountain laurel ain't hurting anything. But then you'd have to have a complex list of things you can take, or can dump, and in what amounts. Imagine that nightmare if you are anti-regulation. Sometimes the rules do make perfect sense. Other times.......not so much.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am sure there are very good reasons why dumping leaves is not good. However, maybe they should have either just told her to stop or at least kept her name off the list. Something simple as throwing an apple core might now make you a registered criminal. No difference between apple cores and leaves in my mind.

If I saw someone dumping leaves I would say something to them about how it was illegal but I would never report them.

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
It's amazing how many people make the extra effort to dispose of something illegally rather than take it to a facility that accepts it for free. Every county offers some measure of free recycling/disposal services. Most municipalities do as well. Perhaps with the exception of tires... which cost little to dispose of....
I am pleased that this initiative has been successful. The "coordinated effort" within the DEP has been diligent in keeping the momentum of this program moving forward. Many of us here on the site work hard to coordinate clean ups, participate as volunteers and keep our eyes open for offenders.

Terry

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Wasn't the huge amount of TVs that were being dumped in the woods due to Burlington County no longer accepting them for free?

I will say that some towns make it difficult to dispose of stuff properly. Not that this is an excuse, but the process might be made easier somehow.

On the other hand, those fines that were handed out ought to be doubled, at least.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I never knew dumping leaves was illegal.Long as you don't dump bags with em.Like I said,it will soon be illegal to take a dump.Oops! I guess it already is. But come on really.Why can't a person dump leaves? Invasive pests?

Invasive everything Al. People fertilize their lawns, they dump household chemicals in the yard, some may even change their oil over a bed of leaves. Then there's paper and plastic and cigarette butts. Not a good thing to do. Plus, it introduces invasive plants into the pines as they also have some seeds mixed in.