interesting old book i found.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Well, "opera" is a pretty general term. I enjoy some operas and others.... not so much. I knew virtually nothing about opera when I took a job as designer/technical director for Syracuse Opera in 1980. But I learned quickly.

I left the field over 10 years ago, having climbed as high as I wanted on the ladder. I was burned out, it gets exhausing - rehearsing until 11:00 at night, meeting afterwards for notes, driving from center city Philadelphia to my home in the Pines.... then back onstage at 8:00am the next morning to supervise the crew. Of course, there were a few beers and some pizza in between which didn't leave much time for sleep. Am quite sure I'd be dead today if I kept that up much longer.

I have very little opera in my life anymore and that's fine. Funny, just now listening to Mozart's Cosi Fan Tutte on the SiriusXM Metropolitan Opera channel. Was bringing back a lot of memories, that was the first show I did in Syracuse in 1980. But I very rarely listen to opera these days and never watch it. Was talking to my old boss last year and he invited me to a performance in Philadelphia. Tried to find a nice way of saying "not interested" without offending him, LOL (he was always great to work for).

Last edited:
Reactions: bobpbx

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
That's nuts :eek:

This is one of those old newspaper articles that just leaves you with far more questions than it answers:

The New York Times, July 28, 1918:

Gustav Kobbe, the music and art critic of the New York Herald, was killed instantly yesterday afternoon, when a naval hydroaeroplane, speeding over the water near Bay Shore, L.I., struck him when he stood up in a catboat as he prepared to dive to avoid being hit by the flier [...] Mr Kobbe, who was alone in the boat, evidently felt confident that the hydroaeroplane which was approaching did not place him in any danger. Kobbe made no effort to move out of the path of the flier, and the hydroaeroplane was within a few feet of him before he saw that a collision was imminent. It was so close that the critic, who was a man of 62 years, had no time to plunge into the water, and it was his attempt to avoid danger by this means which caused his death. For just as he reached an upright position the hydroaeroplane, whose speed he had miscalculated, was on the boat. Some part of the bottom of the aircraft, probably the planing boards, struck the top of the mast. It snapped off the mast and practically clove the man's skull in two parts. Not the slightest harm was done to the swift hydroaeroplane, and the jar was so slight that the naval pilot was not conscious that his machine had touched anything [...] [he] did not learn of the accident until his return to the station.

They strongly imply that Kobbe was at fault for being in the way of the plane, not the pilot for running over both him and his boat!

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Gustav and the plane reminds me of something that really was not a problem 10 years ago when I was 59, but is a definite danger now. I often cross West Bay Avenue during my walks. Now, crossing a busy road when vehicles are traveling 55 mph, it''s shocking how quickly they approach you if you lag even a little bit.

Reactions: Piney2LA and Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Here's something interesting on the Kobbe map. What are these labels "Randolph" and "Union" ? Not sure if they are two separate features or one -"Randolph Union"? They seem to be in the style of other township names.

randolph.png

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I knew about Millville, it's on the Cook, Vermeule and USGS topo maps. But Randolph and Union are new ones for me - thanks!

This discussion has inspired me to scan another unusual vintage map I've had for some time. It's just a road map, not likely to help discovering any secrets in the Pines, but interesting from a historical perspective. Will start another thread, so as not to further hijack this one.

[update]Turns out there was a small copyright notice that I did not originally see on this map. So, unfortunately, I had to remove it.

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
This is a Lacey/Union Township monument with the letters L and U in it with a line (arrow) in between them. I have found others but they don't have the letters. One of them is missing now and was on the road behind what use to be Barnegat Wreckers.

IMG_3911a.jpg

M1 Abrams

Explorer
May 4, 2023
Burlington County
I came across this thread from April last night. Forgive me, Boyd, but after the opera discussion, it seemed like a shocking omission not to include the following clip:

Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
That is a terrific film. A friend gave me this poster more than 20 years ago, it still hangs on my wall. :)

IMG_9014.jpg

I have a funny story about meeting Kitty Carlisle (Hart) while working for Syracuse Opera back in the 1980's. At that time, she was on the board of NYSCA (NY State Council on the Arts), taking a tour of our facilities along with some other VIP's like Al D'Amato. This was not the kind of fancy place you might imagine for a cultural institution like an opera company. It was an abandoned elementary school where we got permission to use a portion of the building as offices and scenery construction space. We gradually expanded into more of the building and made "creative" use of the space to actually rehearse on the sets before loading them into the theatre. Lots of fun back then, but it was sort of "ghetto" operation.

Anyway, I was introduced as the guy in charge of building the sets, running the crews and managing the facility. She was very flattering and said she was so impressed with what we had done, adding "...the Met doesn't even have anything like this" - which was pretty funny, considering their multi-million-dollar facilities and our abandoned schoolhouse. Trying to sound modest I said, "Well, I don't think we're quite in the same league as the Met..."

She looked me straight in the eye and said, "Young man: I am quite familiar with the Met and can assure you that they don't have anything like this!". Put me right in my place! :D