Isolation 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
So, how are you all dealing with it? Do you find it easy? I'm fortunate that I'm retired and was mostly staying home to prep the house for sale. This sprucing up for sale is quite a task. Before the state order I was back and forth to Home Depot 3 to 4 times a week getting project things; paint, paint tools, sanding stuff, plumbing parts, etc, etc.

I've only been to the store once since 13 March. I already had 2 weeks of canned goods, but needed fresh stuff so went to Stop and Shop on the 20th since they open for seniors from 6 to 7:30. I was there at 6 AM and seeing the line 50 feet long was disheartening and a shock. And, they were only about 3 feet apart some of them, gabbing away. I zipped in and out; bread, milk, lettuce, cheese, etc.

Today, I may venture to Home Depot, but am leery. I'll have to remember all the rules; wipe the cart, don't touch the face, wipe down after, etc. It's always a crap shoot I think. I loathe having to go out since I've been inside almost 2 weeks with no symptoms.

I miss hugging my grandkids.

Reactions: Teegate and Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I'm an only child and have always been a loner. Since I retired, I have become even more so. I wondered whether this was right and whether I should be more sociable.... but now I think my instincts were right. I'm fortunate to be adjacent to thousands of acres where I can wander. So I've just been staying here, making maps, enjoying nature. Honestly, that's not terribly different from a normal day for me, although there is certainly a higher level of anxiety and I miss going for a take-out sub (which I did frequently).

Went a full week without going out, then made a trip to stock up. Should be able to wait even longer this time. You know, a week ago the store was not at all crowded at 8:00 AM and there were virtually no shortages. Went back this Monday at 8:00 again when rain was pouring down. I got soaked loading the car, but bought everything on my list. The store was almost empty when I got there and I was literally the only person when I got to the checkout lane. There were some shortages (seemed more related to late deliveries than panic buying), but they still had some toilet paper. :)

So if you're finding shortages, perhaps try going farther away? No, I'm not going to tell you where "my" store is, LOL. ;) But the principle is to get away from developed areas and "suburbs". I mean FAR away. Try a store someplace where most of the population is seasonal. Also choose a day with terrible weather and go early.

Good luck everyone. I have to believe that these shortages are just a temporary thing that will pass. Stay safe and use your good sense, we will get through this!

Reactions: Teegate and bobpbx

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
So if you're finding shortages, perhaps try going farther away? No, I'm not going to tell you where "my" store is, LOL. ;) But the principle is to get away from developed areas and "suburbs". I mean FAR away. Try a store someplace where most of the population is seasonal. Also choose a day with terrible weather and go early.

Yes, I"m trying to time the Home Depot visit, but it gets complicated. I was thinking go today since the rain will keep the people away, but conversely, it may push them to go to the store since they can't work outside. Or, if it's sunny, they'll be working outside and leave the store to me, but if they're working outside, they may need a rake, or bags. Okay, I"m overthinking it. But, they close at 6 PM now, limiting my chances to sneak in without a crowd.

Reactions: Boyd

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
No problem's at all. I intensely dislike going to stores anytime. Have been doing our grocery shopping online for some time with either delivery or pickup depending on weather. Same with just about anything else. Bird food gets delivered today, MGB parts on Friday. Get take out a couple times a week. Take a walk every day. We have a months supply of backpack food we bought just after Sandy. Not much has changed here. Will be going to estate home to finish clean-out today, but there's no rush, just something to do. I doubt anyone is looking to buy now.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
So.... I wonder. When this is all over, do you think there will be an exodus from big cities like New York? Seems possible, and might offset the big hit I took on property value when Atlantic City went bust. Of course, it really doesn't matter since I plan to stay here. I have a friend in a small town in Maine. Yesterday he said that "city folk" are pouring into town, returning to their second homes or looking to buy/rent a new place.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
So.... I wonder. When this is all over, do you think there will be an exodus from big cities like New York? Seems possible, and might offset the big hit I took on property value when Atlantic City went bust. Of course, it really doesn't matter since I plan to stay here. I have a friend in a small town in Maine. Yesterday he said that "city folk" are pouring into town, returning to their second homes or looking to buy/rent a new place.

It already happened this past week but only temporarily. They said people went from the city to Long Island and Florida and elsewhere and will likely spread the virus. But I think the future population for NY will stay (millennials). They've proven to be very advancement oriented I think. The marginally poor can't leave. Imagine having to live like that.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Yesterday he said that "city folk" are pouring into town, returning to their second homes

That's happening here as well, never saw so many NY and PA plates at this time of year. I doubt you will see a mass exodus, don't think too many would be wanting to buy the places the folks would be leaving. Maybe the Chinese would ;). I do think property values in those places might take a hit. We have 20 acres in down-east Maine, not a touristy spot :), we bought after we sold our ADK cabin, just land.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Quite a lot of people (the majority, I suspect) in New York are just renters, so they won't have to worry about selling if they leave. I worry about my daughter's family there, but they are holding up well and enjoying the family time together while she works from home and my granddaughter has online school. We joked about them moving in with me, but they would never really do that, they just love the City. It would be a lot easier for me to visit if they moved across the river to NJ somewhere though, LOL.

For all you NJPB lurkers in the suburbs.... maybe this is the time to finally get that home in the Pines that you have secretly wanted all these years. :D

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
We joked about them moving in with me, but they would never really do that, they just love the City. It would be a lot easier for me to visit if they moved across the river to NJ somewhere though, LOL.

That must be painful to have to drive into the city to see your close kin. My daughter lives in Marlton, but that is not as pleasant a drive as it sounds. Just getting through Whiting is a pain in the ass; there are 6 lights I have to go through, and my average is making only 2 to 3 of them. And route 70 West to Marlton? Forget about it. Get in line, sit back, and shut up. But man, those people who do 50-55 on that road are killing me!

• Haha

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
Bob; I believe you went the wrong way on Lacey Rd to do your grocery shopping. Almost everyone in Whiting is over 60. Go into Forked River or better yet, drive down to the ShopRite on RT 9 in Waretown.

I got 7 grandkids, but only 2 local, just around the corner from me. I have been seeing them, but from a distance. We have been doing Facetime with them all. My wife and I take a couple walks and I get a run in each day. Also spent time in the yard. I put my lettuce plants in this past weekend, but that only killed a couple minutes. I went down to the Pines last week and I might go again tomorrow. I'm also always planning my next trip to the Pines and spending a lot of time trying to ID a Sedge from a Rush.

I've also been reaching out to all my friends across the country, checking on them by email, letting them know how I them, and of course promoting the NJ Pine Barrens.

Reactions: Teegate and Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
That must be painful to have to drive into the city to see your close kin.

It may get just about impossible in the future. :argh:

"New York is considering an even more startling step: eliminating one-third of the lanes on one of the city’s busiest highways. That is the key recommendation from a panel appointed by Mayor Bill de Blasio that was tasked with coming up with a rescue plan for a key stretch of the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway"

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
Bob; I have to drive RT 70 all the time I go to the Pines through Cherry Hill. I go during the weekdays, so everyone is going the opposite direction. At this time of year though, the low sun is brutal. I also plan to leave the Pines before the afternoon traffic builds up.

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
Quite a lot of people (the majority, I suspect) in New York are just renters, so they won't have to worry about selling if they leave. I worry about my daughter's family there, but they are holding up well and enjoying the family time together while she works from home and my granddaughter has online school. We joked about them moving in with me, but they would never really do that, they just love the City. It would be a lot easier for me to visit if they moved across the river to NJ somewhere though, LOL.

For all you NJPB lurkers in the suburbs.... maybe this is the time to finally get that home in the Pines that you have secretly wanted all these years. :D

Where does your daughter live Boyd? Mine lives in Astoria and has an awesome view of Socrates Sculpture Park and Roosevelt's Island. Her condo is very modern deco with off-street parking. We visited over Christmas and went to the light show on Roosevelt. Its nice to visit, but getting there is half the fun they say. I absolutely despise driving anywhere in that general vicinity. She has lived in NYC since college and is 29 now.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Let me know how that plan works Boyd. I think it's interesting, and may be the start of something needed. Something being done like that may spur new inventions and methods of people moving.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bob; I believe you went the wrong way on Lacey Rd to do your grocery shopping. Almost everyone in Whiting is over 60. Go into Forked River or better yet, drive down to the ShopRite on RT 9 in Waretown.

One thing I noticed. I did it 8 days ago, so it was the first store to do this. As I turned left on Lacey and headed west, I had to get behind 6 cars coming from Forked River direction. When I got to Stop and Shop, 5 of them turned in there!

The whole point is to avoid people who are less risk-adverse.

Reactions: old jersey girl

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I haven't changed much.Don't have the option.Still have to go to work everyday and stick my hand in a clock that 300 hundred other people are using.A few months ago they brought all the time clocks (four) into one tight hallway for some reason only known to the idiot that ordered it.We're now jammed elbow to elbow at the time clocks,they also put all our lockers together and made a walkway walled in so tight we have to smash ourselves against the lockers to let people pass behind us. Now their telling us we can leave as soon as relieved and don't have to wait for the top of the hour and we won't get points for leaving a couple minutes early so as not to bunch us up but no one believes them so we are all still bunching up at the top of the hour. That place is a waiting pandemic in itself.
On my off time I"m still doing what i want,namely out in the woods which is probably the safest place to be.Found two arrowheads on Stow crik last week and plan to find some more this weekend.I doubt anyone else has touched those points in centuries so I should be safe:)
"Never let a good crisis go to waste.And if you don't have one,invent it.

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
I doubt it, 911 didn’t change the population and this probably won’t change it either. Some will leave, but others will take their places.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I am still working every day and the little lady is working from home for the university. I worked as much as I could with the crew the last couple of weeks to get ahead of schedule. The fear was the state was going to shut us down for a few weeks but the governor kept construction open. The only catch to being able to work is the crews have to wear gloves and masks while in the trucks. Outside the vehicles it doesn't matter.

We will get through this like any thing else that gets thrown our way. The problem is many aren't taking this as serious as they should.

Status
Not open for further replies.