railroad_3-1.jpg
JCRR1-1.jpg
railroad_2-1.jpg

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
Looks a lot like the Muskee Creek Trestle on the old Maurice River Branch. It's a cool area. There's another one on Little Mill Creek as well. The tracks were kept in place to get to an old sand shipper near Dorchester (Whitehead maybe?). If I remember right those rails haven't seen a train since the late 70's or early 80's. One of the old chapters ran a Budd car out to Mauricetown station years ago before it was moved to the side of Rt. 47.

Reactions: manumuskin

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Sep 22, 1971. Train wreck by Carranza Memorial.

Attachments

• NJPB Sep 1971 Train wreck by Carranza Mem..jpg
    NJPB Sep 1971 Train wreck by Carranza Mem..jpg
    165 KB · Views: 514
  • NJ PB, 22Sep1971.  Upended Erie car by NJ Central tracks near Carranza Memorial.jpg
    NJ PB, 22Sep1971. Upended Erie car by NJ Central tracks near Carranza Memorial.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 517
Reactions: Jon Holcombe

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Sep 22, 1971. Train wreck by Carranza Memorial.
Pan, I don't know if the wreck photos were taken long ago, but the pines look awfully small and sort of sparse. I haven't walked that section of track but from Carranza and Tuckerton the pines now seem larger. I may have to hunt that down, but I imagine the wreck is largely gone.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
The pines were all like that back then. What you see today is because of not letting them burn.
I had been thinking for some time that the barrens look and smell (to my completely untrained eye and nose) generally unhealthy. Lots of rot, overgrown brush, and moss. Pan's photos show the wrecked train in what looks like a pine tree nursery. I wonder if that's why there are so many chiggers. I lived in Absecon in 1962-64 and although my friends and I ran in the woods all the time, I do not ever remember getting bitten by a chigger.

Last edited:
Reactions: manumuskin

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Pan, I don't know if the wreck photos were taken long ago, but the pines look awfully small and sort of sparse. I haven't walked that section of track but from Carranza and Tuckerton the pines now seem larger. I may have to hunt that down, but I imagine the wreck is largely gone.

The train wreck photos were taken in 1971 near the Carranza Memorial. My avatar photo above my name was taken in 1976. That's me towering over the dwarf forest in the Plains like Paul Bunyan. Attached is another one of me in the Plains in 1990. The trees are taller but I still stand over the forest. But the last time I was down there was 3 1/2 years ago and the trees were much taller. Yes there used to be regular fires down there. I remember a huge fire and going down* shortly afterwards and being amazed at how green everything looked, how quickly the woods regenerated. I think I might have some more old photos of the Barrens on slides that I haven't scanned yet, including that train wreck, and yes those wrecked cars are long gone. I posted old PB photos on here, scattered around, a couple of years ago. And we were just talking about the tick problem on the other thread, Jon...

* I say "going down" because I lived in Manhattan.

Attachments

• +Me in NJ PB Plains ~1990.jpg
    +Me in NJ PB Plains ~1990.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 410

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Teegate's photos above show how radical the change has been. The Plains used to be such a special place for me - the vast wide open spaciousness looking out over the low forest to the horizon in all directions, but 3 1/2 years ago it looked more like an ordinary eastern forest.

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
A few more photos of the Plains in the '70's...

Attachments

• Pine Barrens, road to Jenkins off rt. 72, 22Sep1971.jpg
    Pine Barrens, road to Jenkins off rt. 72, 22Sep1971.jpg
    834 KB · Views: 484
  • May 1976, standing ona sandy road in The Plains in the Pine Barrens.jpg
    May 1976, standing ona sandy road in The Plains in the Pine Barrens.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 460
  • NJ PB Nov 1972 (2).jpg
    NJ PB Nov 1972 (2).jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 424
  • NJ PB Nov 1972.jpg
    NJ PB Nov 1972.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 387
  • Pine Barrens Plains 22Sep1971.jpg
    Pine Barrens Plains 22Sep1971.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 425

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
bobpbx post: 136036 said:
Pan, are you absolutely positive that was near Carranza Memorial?

Yes because i wrote on the slide: "22 Sep 1971 NJ Central RR tracks near Carranza Memorial wrecked cars visible on both sides of track".

Last edited:

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
I knew of one by Pine Crest, and there was a box car door there the last time I went, but I never heard of one near Carranza. I also saw what appeared to be rail car pieces here.
http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.746523846867966&lng=-74.70171946685792&z=15&type=nj1995&gpx=
I knew of one by Pine Crest, and there was a box car door there the last time I went, but I never heard of one near Carranza. I also saw what appeared to be rail car pieces here.
http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.746523846867966&lng=-74.70171946685792&z=15&type=nj1995&gpx=

I'm not sure what I'm looking on on that map. How far away was that from Carranza Mem.? It wasn't the same train wreck. The wreck I saw didn't seem that old and it was freight cars while the Blue Comet was many years earlier and a passenger train. I looked through my old Ektachrome and Anscochrome color slides and found a few more of the Barrens that I could scan if there was any interest in seeing them here, but no more of that wreck, tho I think I originally did have more, but many of my old slides have disappeared over the years. Maybe I could enhance the scan of the one in the woods and see if it can be better identified. I don't even know what it is now. Is it the engine? Maybe you people can id it better than I can. I'm partially color blind and it blends in with the foliage to my eyes and I don't remember what it was. I'll try to enhance that one. I can't find anything on the internet about a freight train derailment near the Carranza Memorial.

Last edited: