Jersey Devil

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I had reward points with my amazon account and had to spend them before they expired. I found The Barrens (2012 Jersey Devil based movie). I remembered it being mentioned in this thread so I got it for almost nothing. Now, I've always been dissapointed by modern fictional works on the jersey devil in both film and literature, however, despite my initial bias, i actually enjoyed the film.
The film was directed by the same guy that did the Saw films (I only saw the first one). The concept was pretty good. The dialogue was lacking. In fact, it could have killed the film but it was saved by some outstanding acting, primarily by the lead character (actor Stephen Moyer). Here is the rundown:

Pros: the acting
basic concept
decent special effects
accurate geographical references
fairly accurate references to the legend
not much gore or cheap shock techniques
Cons: poor dialogue (made up for in acting)
was not filmed anywhere near the pinebarrens(you will have to get pass this to appreciate the movie)
inaccureate depiction of the park rangers (they were extremely helpful and friendly)

I don't know if it's available in on demand or netflix but it is worth checking out.

Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thanks Jeff! There are copies constantly available on ebay if anyone wants to maybe get it fairly cheep as you did.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
I need about 4 more eyes to roll at that article.
6944817602_830988fab9.jpg

Reactions: Ben Ruset

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The reason why no natural animal has the characteristic of the Jersey Devil is that the stories are all made up with each person adding another fake feature to it's description.

Straitouttajersey

Jan 26, 2014
Slightly unrelated....let me first say no I am not a believer and its a legend although a fun one..

However, I was a patrol cop in Hamilton Township and about 12 years ago had a serious call in Bears Head---don't remember the address, but it was off Bears Head Road in a wooded area---road was on the right before the bend leading to Milmay.

A gentlemen was freaked out about something that came into his backyard that he has no idea what it was. I cant remember his description..and I would be fabricating it if I would try and remember....But I do remember it was not a hoax because I could see he was a level headed person and shaken up. He said it definitely not a deer or wolf or bear and was some kind of crazy beast that he was outside with his dog and it ran into the woods. He said he was not letting his dogs out again. I shined my light into the woods...but saw nothing and frankly was busy and didn't pay it much mind that night.

Now I know sometimes our minds can get the best of us, but it was a call Ill never forget.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I use to scare the crap out of folks all the time at Menantico WMA back in the 80's and early 90's. All you have to do is hide in the woods around a beer party and wait till they get drunk and then start making some scary noises.I had quite a collection of them.Now occasionally you will get a ballsy drunk with a gun.Best to retreat in this situation but most of them ran away yelling.One time half the party left to get more beer and took all the vehicles and left sevral people at the fire abandoned.They had no idea where they were or how to get out.Me and a buddy had some fun with them.Two girls and a guy.The guy and one girl started crying.After that I faded into the woods.I thought the guy was hilarious but felt bad when the girl started to cry.I was such a meanie. I've grown up since then:)