Jersey Devil

Mts83

Explorer
Oct 24, 2008
Sourland Mountains
www.wtfda.info
I remember when that story about the prints on the roof were in the Press of Atlantic City, it happened in Egg Harbor township. The show however made it sound like it happened near Wharton Forest... I guess to make the story sound better. :-/

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
I still go with that it is an animal they can't identify. Ive been out in the pines at night and have had some weird things happen, never feared for my life but still strange and I loved it all

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
Hmmmmmmmmm....

I still go with that it is an animal they can't identify. Ive been out in the pines at night and have had some weird things happen, never feared for my life but still strange and I loved it all

Oh, OK, so that wasn't your teeth chattering from the cold when the NJD visited our campsite Feb. of 75 @ Lower Forge????????????????? Furrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrballlllllllllllllllllllll !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Y-BUC-BILL

Explorer
Mar 9, 2007
Pretty neat having the New Jersey Devil and Clementon Gun Club featured on the History Channel.Nice bunch of guys in that club.

JD again

Turned on Sci Fi channel. Guess who's on? The show is called "Carny" with Lou Diamond Phillips, and has Old JD on the loose! He is with the carnival passing through town. Evidently a persona we've seen before! Eating humans and eluding capture - guess the boys at the gun club ain't on drive!

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I watched that. It was pretty bad but I felt obligated to watch since the Jersey Devil was in it. The Devil had a pretty good likeness to our traditional folklore but suffered from terrible digital animation. The whole carney idea must have stemmed from Norman Jeffries in 1909 or there abouts.

Jeff

kayak karl

Explorer
Sep 18, 2008
Swedesboro, NJ
Turned on Sci Fi channel. Guess who's on? The show is called "Carny" with Lou Diamond Phillips, and has Old JD on the loose! He is with the carnival passing through town. Evidently a persona we've seen before! Eating humans and eluding capture - guess the boys at the gun club ain't on drive!
there is another CARNY film "Carny is a 1980 drama film about a waitress who joins a travelling carnival. It stars Gary Busey, Jodie Foster, and Robbie Robertson." got that confused with the one on tonite.

i met a backpacker in AC last week. he said he found a book "Haunted Hikes"

51H1K4A9JML._SS500_.jpg

or something like that and set out on the hikes. he had just spent 7 days in the Wharton Track camping and looking for the Jersey Devil. the decription of the camps and trails made me know he was telling the truth. gave him a few bucks (was AC money:rofl:) to continue his trip. he was heading to Salem, Mass.:ghost:

PineyRoots

Apr 5, 2009
Galloway
Ah, memories...

I love the Jersey Devil folklore! It's good for scaring Princeton jocks who come down to Leeds Point to find him on Halloween night. It was probably about 10 years ago now, but my friends who lived down there had a party and at one point around midnight saw several cars drive by and park near the woods. We waited in the phragmites for them with one of us making screeching noises...I could hardly contain myself when they started cursing and shining their flashlights up in the trees!
We only had to show ourselves when the city slickers got out baseball bats and eventually headed in our direction after about 15 minutes of fun watching them run around scared looking for the elusive "devil." It was worth almost getting a bat to the head! Stopped a few inches from my forehead when he saw I was just a Medieval witch. It was Halloween, after all.
I had run around in those woods for years and never had a problem, except mosquitos that will chase you down. That's not to say that you don't feel watched sometimes walking around there.
The coolest thing I found was by a foundation there (some of the locals claim was the real Mother Leed's house, but I know there's other foundations that are said to be it also) was a skinny rusty pitch fork, with the wood handle completely rotted away and gone from the metal years before. I left it where I found it. Someone else had grabbed it within 2 weeks after. Oh, well.

Good times...

Reactions: JersyDeb
Folks:

I have nothing of substance to add to this thread, but I thought it most appropriate that my 666th message should appear here. To repent and pay penance for the lack of relevant thread content, I herewith include a transcription of the apocryphal story concerning a witch trial in Mount Holly from the 22 October 1730 edition of The Pennsylvania Gazette. Reputedly, this story came from the furtive imagination of Benjamin Franklin, who apparently sought to poke some fun at “backward” country people:

Burlington, Oct. 12. Saturday last at Mount-Holly, about 8 Miles from this Place, near 300 People were gathered together to see an Experiment or two tried on some Persons accused of Witchcraft. It seems the Accused had been charged with making their Neighbours Sheep dance in an uncommon Manner, and with causing Hogs to speak, and sing Psalms, &c. to the great Terror and Amazement of the King’s good and peaceable Subjects in this Province; and the Accusers being very positive that if the Accused were weighed in Scales against a Bible, the Bible would prove too heavy for them; or that, if they were bound and put into the River, they would swim; the said Accused desirous to make their Innocence appear, voluntarily offered to undergo the said Trials, if 2 of the most violent of their Accusers would be tried with them. Accordingly the Time and Place was agreed on, and advertised about the Country; The Accusers were 1 Man and 1 Woman; and the Accused the same. The Parties being met, and the People got together, a grand Consultation was held, before they proceeded to Trial; in which it was agreed to use the Scales first; and a Committee of Men were appointed to search the Men, and a Committee of Women to search the Women, to see if they had any Thing of Weight about them, particularly Pins. After the Scrutiny was over, a huge great Bible belonging to the Justice of the Place was provided, and a Lane through the Populace was made from the Justices House to the Scales, which were fixed on a Gallows erected for that Purpose opposite to the House, that the Justice’s Wife and the rest of the Ladies might see the Trial, without coming amongst the Mob; and after the Manner of Moorfields, a large Ring was also made. Then came out of the House a grave tall Man carrying the Holy Writ before the supposed Wizard, &c. (as solemnly as the Sword-bearer of London before the Lord Mayor) the Wizard was first put in the Scale, and over him was read a Chapter out of the Books of Moses, and then the Bible was put in the other Scale, (which being kept down before) was immediately let go; but to the great Surprize of the Spectators, Flesh and Bones came down plump, and outweighed that great good Book by abundance. After the same Manner, the others were served, and their Lumps of Mortality severally were too heavy for Moses and all the Prophets and Apostles. This being over, the Accusers and the rest of the Mob, not satisfied with this Experiment, would have the Trial by Water; accordingly a most solemn Procession was made to the Mill-pond; where both Accused and Accusers being stripp’d (saving only to the Women their Shifts) were bound Hand and Foot, and severally placed in the Water, lengthways, from the Side of a Barge or Flat, having for Security only a Rope about the Middle of each, which was held by some in the Flat. The Accuser Man being thin and spare, with some Difficulty began to sink at last; but the rest every one of them swam very light upon the Water. A Sailor in the Flat jump’d out upon the Back of the Man accused, thinking to drive him down to the Bottom, but the Person bound, without any Help, came up some time before the other. The Woman Accuser, being told that she did not sink, would be duck’d a second Time; when she swam again as light as before. Upon which she declared, That she believed the Accused had bewitched her to make her so light, and that she would be duck’d again a Hundred Times, but she would duck the Devil out of her. The accused Man, being surpriz’d at his own Swimming, was not so confident of his Innocence as before, but said, If I am a Witch, it is more than I know. The more thinking Part of the Spectators were of Opinion, that any Person so bound and plac’d in the Water (unless they were mere Skin and Bones) would swim till their Breath was gone, and their Lungs fill’d with Water. But it being the general Belief of the Populace, that the Womens Shifts, and the Garters with which they were bound help’d to support them; it is said they are to be tried again the next warm Weather, naked.

I think the Devil made him write it! :jd:

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Reactions: JersyDeb

Jeep Beep

Feb 27, 2009
Jersey devil just what ya city slickers think u here out there when the wildlife makes there noices.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
It is not currently an assigned area code.
It is also not a geographic area code, meaning it could be assigned to anywhere in North America.
Most likely the number was "spoofed".:pigfly:
Beginning January 2, the city of Reeves, Louisiana will no longer carry the mark of the beast. After 40 years of carrying a stigma for having the number 666 as its area code, Reeves starts 2008 with a new code; 749.

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/loui...iana-town-ditches-666-area.html#ixzz11JJurBwD

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I made up that number and the numbers after the 666 spell something. It is only a joke unless someone figures it out and then i have something small for them.

Guy

lakesgirl

Explorer
Jan 3, 2010
collings lakes
I found the article quite funny!

Down here in Atlantic County, there is actually a Route 666 (Cape May Ave). Runs from Dorothy to Head of the River. About 10 ago my daughter went to high school with a girl whose address was #13 Rte 666. Just a little bizzare.

Maybe the route number explains why there isn't a lot of houses along it. Anybody know of any strange happenings along here?