Jersey LIGHTNIN

crazyoz

Feb 21, 2005
Wall NJ
Does any body know how to brew this most potent bevrage. If you do maby you can let me know here. I have looked all over the net and asked a few old timers. Nobody seems to want to give me any help.

crazyoz said:
Does any body know how to brew this most potent bevrage. If you do maby you can let me know here. I have looked all over the net and asked a few old timers. Nobody seems to want to give me any help.

I read somewhere that it was not brewed. The apple mash was allowed to forment and then frozen. Alcohol does not freeze so it was somehow seperated from the frozen mash.

Steve

PBJ1971

Scout
Oct 19, 2004
Belleplain, NJ
crazyoz said:
so really all they did was mash up some apple and freeze it? Or so you think?

Probably a little more involved than that...this is what I found :) Good luck and save me some (just to have since I don't drink)! I'll quote my sources just so there's no copyright issues :) If I make a 'faux pas', please feel free to let me know.

No coyright here, just asked around to some friends...
Jersey Lightning
1/2 oz sweet vermouth
1 1/2 oz apple brandy
juice of one lime
Shake all ingredients with ice, strain into a cocktail glass, and serve.

http://blake.montclair.edu/~olsenk/ACETIC ACID.htm
"ACETIC ACID, INDUSTRIAL VINEGAR, AND JERSEY LIGHTNING
Reprinted with the permission of the Indicator, the news magazine of the North Jersey Section, American Chemical Society.

By Kevin Olsen

For most of us, Jersey Lightning conjures up memories of the thunderstorms that sweep through this region on humid summer afternoons. Yet for more than 300 years, the name referred to a potent fermented apple liquor. In time, the same technology that fermented beverages was used for the production of acetic acid.

By 1685, New Englanders settling in New Jersey were busy establishing apple cultivation on a large scale. Cider had been their favorite drink. It could be fermented for a hard cider or fermented and distilled to make brandy, or if you prefer, Jersey Lightning. A method popular in New England was simply to freeze the cider and discard the ice. Some of the cider was made into vinegar which was used in cooking and preserving. "

Also, this article goes on to say that it was also called applejack (?)

"... None remained in Essex County, the one time home of Newark Applejack which was a widely popular name, especially in the south..."

http://www.bearcreekberries.bigstep.com/generic25.html
"...Enterprising businessmen took cider a few steps further. First, as sweet cider fermented, hard apple cider was produced. Hard cider was about 60 proof. When a second distillation was made, the resulting 120 proof liquor was then diluted down to 100 proof, and the barrels aged. The result was an 80 proof product that, when bottled, became known as Apple Brandy, or Apple Jack, or “Jersey Lightning.†A booming business was born, Wilkie said."

So, maybe freezing the fermented cider and throwing out the ice (like someone posted earlier) is the way to do it.

Heather in SJ

Miikkaa

Feb 23, 2005
You can buy Laird's blended Applejack and strait apple brandy at most liquor stores in these parts. Been made in Monmouth County since 1698. Great stuff!!

PBJ1971

Scout
Oct 19, 2004
Belleplain, NJ
crazyoz said:

LOL, not like this was the only thing on my mind but...I worked last year as a historical interpreter (early 19th century) and knew this recipe had to be in one of the old cookbooks or on one of the reenactment sites. Lo and behold, it twas!

http://home.insightbb.com/~morganco.lr/drinks.htm

"Apple jack is made by taking hard cider and putting it outside when the temperature is below freezing, or by placing in your freezer. When the cider begins to freeze pour the unfrozen 1iquid into a container. The unfrozen liquid is apple jack. Apple jack is a delicious drink, but a word of caution is in order. You might not taste the alcohol in apple jack, but the beverage is very potent. When frozen, water is removed leaving a beverage with a much higher octane rating than the 10-12 % of hard cider
If you don’t have any hard cider handy, I made a tasty version using a fifth of Apple Schnapps mixed with a fifth of apple cider. I put the mixture into two quart jars, and put them in the freezer. It took about eight hours for the liquid to begin to freeze."

Okay, so I promise I will stop posting about alcohol :)

Heather in SJ

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
A buddy of mine made hard cider this year from fresh, unpasteurized apple cider that he bought.
It didn't come out too good and he didn't add any sugar to boost the alcohol or leave any residual sweetness. When I make wine I add sugar to accomplish both.
I am going to pass this thread on to him and see if he can do the freeze trick and make some apple jack.
I'll let you know what happens.

wis bang

Explorer
Jun 24, 2004
East Windsor
stizkidz said:
Something from a local fruit stand that was not heated to kill the mocrobes it contains...If it was packed in plastic jugs somewhere far away, it was pasturized to keep it from spoiling.

a natural cider could give you intestional discomfort if you drink too much as the microbes will overwhelm your gut. Same little guys eat sugar & make alcohol...

Tom

Explorer
Feb 10, 2004
This post has been very interesting and amusing. The part about freezing the mash would indicate that the liquor could only be made in the winter, as there was no way to freeze liquids at that time.

wis bang

Explorer
Jun 24, 2004
East Windsor
Tom said:
This post has been very interesting and amusing. The part about freezing the mash would indicate that the liquor could only be made in the winter, as there was no way to freeze liquids at that time.
They must have been cutting pond ice somewhere...just bury the jug in the ice house for a day or so...They kept Ice around over a season in an insulated building packed in sawdust...