Jerseyman Magazine

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

I posted about this magazine before; however, I am not at this moment able to find my post. Anyway, they have had a few articles on the Pine Barrens, and in this months issue they have another one. They even mention this website as a place to go for a "creative approach."

To view the article you have to go to the below link and at the very bottom in the center put in the page number 32 and you will be taken right to the article. This site is mentioned in the top right where it says "Amazing Window to the Pine Barrens."

http://www.jerseymanmagazine.com/issues/

There also is an interesting fishing article on page 34 concerning the man who has held the state fishing record for Pickerel since 1957 that he caught in Lower Aetna Lake in Medford Lakes. It was 27 inches long and 9.3 pounds.

There also is quite a few other interesting article about NJ that you may want to check out.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You may be right Scott. I say that Ben writes them and asks about this.....yea thats what needs to be done. :D

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I liked the article on beef. I'm not suprised that Top Loin is in short supply due to our proximity to NYC. I think a beef farm would be cool....but I wonder why there are not many around SJ.

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Does anyone remember the first New Jersey magazine? It was the brain child of one the great eccentric plantsmen, the late Cliff Tine, owner of the New Jersey Botanical Gardens. His greenhouses were adjacent to the Duke estate in Somerville, NJ, where at peak season people by the hundreds came to buy his amazingly large varietal selection of vegetable and flower plants. It just wasn’t spring without making a pilgrimage to his establishment.

Once a chicken farmer, Cliff was also a brilliant entrepreneur who unfortunately was always one step ahead of time to fully exploit his genius – for example the novel attempt at a statewide magazine:

In New Jersey.jpg

You would never know that under that grizzled, disheveled exterior was a truly distinguished horticulturalist. Sorry it’s not Pine Barrens, but perhaps noteworthy none-the-less. I miss him...

S-M

Reactions: Hinchman's Hill
Spungman:

The first New Jersey magazine? Hardly, my friend! The first issue of New Jersey Compass predates In New Jersey by some years.

5859590533_5a0d9071cf_b.jpg

This issue contains an article about forest fires in the Pine Barrens, a piece by James S. Cawley titled, "Will you take a paddle with me?," and other newsworthy and noteworthy accounts of interest to all Jerseymen.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Good show, Jerseyman!

I had never seen this publication referenced before. Was this magazine a single issue phenomenon? Any information about subsequent issues of In New Jersey as well? Cliff kindly provided my copy during one of our long talks. Within July 1964 is a short article about pickerel fishing, or “pike” as we like to call ‘em in the Pines. Feature articles included one on Island Beach and another on Flemington.

S-M

Spungman:

Not a one-issue wonder at all, but I do not have a terminus date for the publication. In my collection, I hold June (first issue), July, September, and October 1947. I know publication went through at least December 1947 with suggestions of it continuing into at least a portion of 1948. The July 1947 issue contains an article on the Helis Stock Farm in Jobstown; the September 1947 issue features a piece on furs and trapping and on Striped Bass; and the October 1947 edition offers articles on New Jersey Oysters and one titled, "The Pineys."

Best regards,
Jerseyman

We all do, Dogg, we all do. Never intended to be a scholarly publication, Shirley Bailey’s South Jersey Magazine certainly filled a void for those of us who reside in what most of academia view as a vast historical wasteland. I have a complete collection and they will always hold a special place in my heart. A member of these forums kindly provided me with a pdf of an index they had for the run. I refer to the issues often when researching history subjects in “our” wasteland.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Ben:
I concur with your assessment of www.njpinebarrens.com. In the digital age, this site IS the new South Jersey Magazine in many ways. You kindly provide me and others with an outlet for our historical penchants and I am most appreciative! I never had the opportunity to write an article for Shirley, so it is nice to have a ready set of forums available for writing on subjects that interest me!

Thanks to you and Guy for all of your great work here!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Thanks! My only concern is that while SJ Magazine will exist in libraries and microfilm forever, how does one make a usable archive of this site and the forums for the future?

I guess I've just got to write a book. :)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Make sure you back it up. I am sure one day in the future there will be a place online that you will be able to upload it to and it will be available for searching.

Is it easy for you to back up the text?

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
The entire site (database, web script, people's photographs, etc.) gets backed up to a computer here in my apartment nightly.

I'm talking about 100+ years from now, though. The site isn't going anywhere anytime in the future as far as I can see.