jim ungehajer's illness

Oct 25, 2006
hello, my name is renee Jim Ungehajer's stepdaughter,,,, i just wanted to notify you that jimmy hasnt been on here for a while and the reason being is that jimmy was diagnosed with terminal cancer in february,,,, since then he underwent two chemo treatments and had become too weak to continue. As a result of his aggressive cancer hospice has stepped in to help. Jims condition has gotten so bad so fast that we are now being told that he has only a few days......Jim loved the pine barrens and all his friends,, i just thought to look under my favorites under my own personal computer and sure enough he had you guys on here. I am not sure whom jims friends were and am not sure who to contact so whom ever reads this, it would be greatly appreciated that the word be passed on, and i will try to update you asap,,, thank you ever so much...,,..,.. Renee Wojnar u may contact me @267-885-9789 or his wife lorraine at 215-535-1780

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I am very sad. I enjoyed hiking with him and wondered why he was absent.

With true tears!
Ed

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am so sorry about Jim. He traveled with a group of us on a few occasions and was always interested in learning as much as he can about the pines. I know he wished he could go on a few of our PBX hikes but was unable because of his health problems. I never thought it would be as bad as this though.

If Jim still is able to talk to you please tell him Jessica and I are thinking of him.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jim on the right at the Eureka gun club with Jessica and Bob.

JimU%20.JPG

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I never met Jim in person, but truly appreciated reading of his travels and looking at all the great photo's he posted. We had some great exchanges via private messages about the pines and many other things, including Rohm and Haas and their former CEO Jack Mulroney who was a friend.

He is in my thoughts. I have missed him around here.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Helped Jim in regards to taking care of a turtle a year back or so...real nice guy and always thankful and willing to learn.......I wish him and his family the best..... the big c is a nasty disease that unfortunately everyone has to deal with in some way eventually.....my thoughts are with your family.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jessica and I were in the Reevestown Cemetery walking around the stones looking for a few names, and in flew a car I recognized as Jim's. He jumped out ran around the back, raised his camera, and took a random shot across the cemetery. I swear to you Jessica and I are in that photo, but he turned around and started entering his car to leave. We yelled to him running towards his vehicle to keep him from leaving, and he was quite surprised to see us there. Instantly, his eyes lit up as he told us about his visit to the Wells Mills Park where he had met up with someone to view a map of the pines. He had copies of it and starting explaining it to us, and in no time at all he was out of breath. He was so thrilled to have that map he had forgotten to take a breath. He had kept them at the park long after closing time so he would have all the information he could. He was so enchanted he was trembling.

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
My sympathies to the family and may Jim rest peacefully till his time comes.

"There is an old belief that on some distant shore, far from despair and grief, old friends shall meet once more."

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
I always enjoyed reading Jim's stories of travels through the pines with George. One of my favorite quotes was Lo and Behold, describing when they found full beers in the woods. i never had the pleasure of meeting him but we shared a love of the pinelands and in that sense we were brothers. God bless you Jim.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I am not sure whom jims friends were.....

Count me as a friend, certainly. I really like Jim. He makes me laugh because he is so open and wears his heart on his sleeve. He won't hurt a fly. Jim is very self-depracating, a trait I find in most people I really like. Please tell him I'm thinking of him.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Sorry to hear about this news. Jim and I tried to meet on several occasions but I always had to cancel on him last second because of one thing or another. He was always very forgiving at would say "no problem, next time". I'm sorry I never had the opportunity to meet him personally.

Jeff

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Jim and I exchanged mapping information and traded fish stories several times through email . He was always appreciative of any assistance that was lent to him. His whirlwind day trips through the pines always made for an interesting read.

The "Lo and behold" found beer thread is aslo my favorite. Bob and I had some fun with that at the Forked River Mountain Cleanup last year when I found some full beers in the woods and downed a few for the camera.

Jim liked his beer and loved his big woods.
A good man in my book.

May the Lord bring him peace and his family strength.

Scott

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I am so saddened to hear of Jim’s illness and condition. I never did get a chance to share time with him in the field but did meet with him at a few special events as well as at Wells Mills Park to help him with some maps he was interested in. We also corresponded many times by e-mail and p-message on various topics. He was always passionate about whatever we were discussing. I consider him a friend and will continue to keep him in my thoughts.

Renee:

Thank you for notifying all of us about Jim’s grave condition. We have noted his extended absence from our presence and we have missed his posts. Jim’s passion for the history and natural beatuy of the Pine Barrens has sparked some lively discussions both in the forums and in Private Messages circulated between him and some members.

I met Lorraine when Jim disappeared from the forums the first time a couple of years ago and I traveled to Bridesburg to inquire of his condition. Later, Jim and I met a couple of times at the Palmyra Nature Preserve at the foot of the Tacony Palmyra Bridge and we enjoyed some great palaver. Please tell Jim and Lorraine that they are in our prayers and thoughts.

As long as these forums exist, Jim and his passion will live on into the future.

While working as a printer in 1728, Benjamin Franklin composed his own obituary, which is appropriate to quote here:

The body of Benjamin Franklin, Printer (like the cover of an old book, its contents torn out and stripped of its lettering and gilding), lies here, food for worms; but the work shall not be lost, for it will (as he believed) appear once more in a new and more elegant edition, revised and corrected by the Author.

May Jim experience the Peace of God that passes all understanding as he prepares to enter eternity.

With great sadness,
Jerseyman

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Many friends I have made through this site consider Jim a true friend and have shared wonderful stories with me of time spent with him. I pray for Jim's comfort and your family's peace. I pray that warm memories will envelope the hearts of those who shared their love of the pines and exploration with Jim. Thank you for thinking of us.

turtle