Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We are close but will we ever really know unless we find a map that shows those places listed?

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I think I have a map here that shows "Hilliards" which is mentioned above in the Joseph cox survey. And I believe it was right near Boyds tavern just up 70 towards Whiting.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
We are close but will we ever really know unless we find a map that shows those places listed? Guy

Ask an old wizened piney in the area. I'll bet some Browns Mills old-timers can be induced to pull a snippet of forgotten memory from the foggy recesses of their mind.

"The cool, dim interior of a Rancocas River cedar swamp rose into Bucky's mind, and he remembered something his grandaddy Horace once't told him that time they was a'huntin. By God, he did remember, and a smile crept into the creased lines of his weather-beaten face."

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I think I have a map here that shows "Hilliards" which is mentioned above in the Joseph cox survey. And I believe it was right near Boyds tavern just up 70 towards Whiting. Guy

"Boyds? Over by Platte's Place? Sure, me and Sue were over there Saturday night. T'was a dance a'going on! Old Bill Collins was there from Buckingham, and Johnny Webb's boy Sammy. They don't get out much since the big fire. I hear they's a'busting their backs trying to get the homesteads back into shape; sumtin they can live in".

Tom

Explorer
Feb 10, 2004
It appears you guys are getting pretty close to it. I don't have any other information to add. There was a letter that I had sent to Ben from Charles Corey regarding Jobs Old Swamp. But it didn't give any detail as to the location.

...and, Bob, I must concur with Guy.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I found this reference in the book "Pemberton Township, A History" (pg 58):

Job's Old Swamp - Job's Old Swamp was a cedar swamp belonging to the Hanover Tract. It was four miles from Hanover Furnace and four from Hartshorne's Mill. Cedar rails and poles were frequently offered for sale at the site.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That again proves that mileage back then was very inconsistent and certainly inaccurate. And if we measure 4 miles from Hanover that is much farther than the division line in that area.

In any event, anything we can find helps.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
The same book does have a map showing Beaver Dam Branch as the last northern fork of Pole Bridge Branch like Tom's Map shows.

If anyone has Henry Bisbees book they can look up these names; especially Troy Island and Job's Old Swamp.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Tom,

Look at the map I gave you back on Saturday. It shows Jobs Swamp. It is Whitesbogs...owned by J.J. White Inc.

Guy

Tom

Explorer
Feb 10, 2004
I had notice that when I was looking at it on Saturday afternoon. Thanks.