Jumping Brook Preserve

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I went out there with some friends on Saturday. We saw about half of it. It has nice areas and some not so nice. A bog or two in the front has grown in, and the rest of them are in disrepair, with beavers and dams that are out of order. Still, it was nice to be out there in such a large open area in horse and farm country. The reservoir in the back is gorgeous, but has a lot of reed grass on the banks. Saw a canoe and kayaks stashed in certain areas. I think the duck hunting there is hot, as we saw a lot of ducks. I'll be going back to see the rest of it. It has potential if they'd clean up the banks, fix the dams, clear out the trails, etc.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    187.7 KB · Views: 436
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    216.1 KB · Views: 476
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    171.3 KB · Views: 480
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    231.4 KB · Views: 470
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 482
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    235.2 KB · Views: 463
  • resevoir in back.JPG
    resevoir in back.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 416

harlequinhawk

Aug 31, 2009
Bob I think you went out there with my friend Mark? Well I was telling him about the place awhile ago. Its interesting birding. Not many resident birds but migration season is always a wild card. I've photographed two sandhill cranes on the back pond, bald eagle fly overs, hooded mergansers on the back pond, bluebirds on the most southern water channel, and typical migrant warblers. Its potential is so wasted. And there is no passive recreation in Plumsted outside of Colliers Mills WMA.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Hi Hawk, yes Mark and my other good friend Terry went with me. A very interesting day. I wish it were cleaned up (the paths and the overgrown banks of the bogs.) We also saw a white egret(?) when we first came in. Coincidentally, check out this notice in the Ocean County Parks and Recreation site. They are in for some surprises, there are big trees down and overgrown paths and a few places where the dams are decrepit. Oh well, at least it will be visited and maybe improved. And all this time I thought it was basically unknown.

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Bob, maybe you could go and see what the hike has to offer ? ?.... It really is a lovely piece of property. Maybe Plumstead Township would like to encourage the use of their publicly purchased lands for use by all of the public ....I'll share the link you provided above. Thanks.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bob, maybe you could go and see what the hike has to offer ? ?.... It really is a lovely piece of property. Maybe Plumstead Township would like to encourage the use of their publicly purchased lands for use by all of the public ....I'll share the link you provided above. Thanks.

:D