Kayaking the Wading with a different agenda

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Rob, Jessica, Jennifer, and myself kayaked the Wading River today, and since we have traveled this river before, I decided to look for some monuments along the way. So if you plan on doing the Wading in the future, add this info to your GPS if you want to follow in my footsteps, or kayak if you will :)

Our first stop was to locate the state monument and stone separating what is now Wharton and what was at one time the property of Joel Mick. This photo shows the stone with the state monument right behind it 2 feet away. You will see that distance stamped in the monument.

IMG_1192.JPG

Located here. The coordinates are on the left

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=39.700886,-74.553419&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=17&iwloc=addr

And if you find it, look around in the distance and you will see this recent addition. It appears there has been a recent easement.

IMG_1193.JPG

Jennifer rounding the curve at the dam.

IMG_1195.JPG

I found a dead Luna Moth plastered against the side of the river.

IMG_1196.JPG

Jennifer caught herself a turtle.

IMG_1202.JPG

Jessica also while wearing her PBX shirt :)

IMG_1203.JPG

I am sure most of you have heard of Maxwell, but if not it is a 99.7392 acre piece of land partially located along the Wading River. When Wharton was purchased, this property was owned by James Maxwell. After you pass under Evans Bridge you come upon a sign on the right informing you of private property and to keep off. This is Maxwell. With my goal to find the two property corners along the river, we found the first one to be easy to access with little kayak trouble stopping there. It was obvious nobody had viewed that monument in quite some time since it was completely covered in moss.

IMG_1204.JPG

Located here. The coordinates are at the top in the URL.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.669594&lng=-74.537217&z=18&type=k&gpx=

And the final one was much more difficult getting out of the kayak without falling in which I almost did.

IMG_1206.JPG

Located here. A little tip. Contrary to what the maps show, the monument is only 3 feet from the edge of the water. If you look closely you don’t even have to get out of your kayak.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=39.66...818&spn=0.003171,0.005402&t=h&z=18&iwloc=addr

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Hi Guy.

Where did you start and end? How was the water level? See anyone else? Did any of you swim?

We started at Hawkins Bridge where the water level is way too low for kayaking. The first 1000 feet or so I walked many times. My kids and Rob pushed their way through it as much as they could, and I pulled my kids occasionally. I do not recommend going down that river until it rains quite a bit. After that most of the time we did fine, but there are many places where we pushed a few feet. Really tiring for sure!

We were out early so we did not see anyone on the river until we arrived at Evans Bridge. That was about 1PM and about 6 people were ahead of us. They had just left from the bridge and there were other getting kayaks off their car to come soon after. We ended at Beaver Branch about 2:10. We did not swim.

Guy

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Enloyed the trip report and pictures. I had heard the water levels were low on the wading. I was fishing yesterday on the Batsto, the water level is usually ok there. I also did not swim, the water is a little too cold for me:).
Greg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy can't get a good look at the first turtle, was it a spotted?

I am not sure. She was not near me when she caught it. It was giving her trouble so I had to fumble for my camera and paddle over as she let it go. I didn't even take notice. The shot is dark because the camera did not even have time to even adjust.

Guy

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
Hey Guy,
Were there any spots on the river that were deep enough for swimming?
We are headed out on the Wading tomorrow and I was expecting to drag the canoes through several spots but as long as we get a little float time and some swimming in we will still go. How was the water level around the dam? How about at Wharton Bank (the big, steep beach)? The depth right at Beaver Branch is usually OK.

I can't wait to get into that cool water! Its the most refreshing damn thing I know! Hey if you folks think its too cold now ask Bob what it felt like when he took that dare and jumped in back on Jun. 1

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Hey Guy,
Were there any spots on the river that were deep enough for swimming?
We are headed out on the Wading tomorrow and I was expecting to drag the canoes through several spots but as long as we get a little float time and some swimming in we will still go. How was the water level around the dam? How about at Wharton Bank (the big, steep beach)? The depth right at Beaver Branch is usually OK.

I can't wait to get into that cool water! Its the most refreshing damn thing I know! Hey if you folks think its too cold now ask Bob what it felt like when he took that dare and jumped in back on Jun. 1

There are swimming spots. Just be prepared for some serious pushing for the first 1000 feet. That was not fun. And the water is cold!

Guy

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
A little family time and testing your "cold" waters

Like most others I enjoy a swim in comfortable waters.
I do however not mind cold water. keeps the senses tuned.
The family & I spent a little water time paddling on Batsto lake today. Easy stuff with lunch and swimming on one beach just before you get farther up river proper. Saw lots of folks out paddling, enjoying the day.
The water, the kids would agree, and indeed they spent more swim time than I, is running quite brisk in the Batsto. Had to catch my breath the first go in.
I'll give you truth that it's running cold out there.

g.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We were in early and did not see anyone for three hours until Evans Bridge.

Guy

andy1015

Explorer
May 4, 2007
Nice pics and report. I have canoed and kayaked that river many times, as recently as a few weeks ago. I went on the weekend in the summer and was reminded why I stopped doing that. 38 canoes went in right before us. I was shocked it actually turned out better than I expected though. That first part by Hawkins is always the lowest. Normally do that river because it’s and easy bike ride and you don't need to take two cars. But sorry couldn't help but notice when you pointed out the PBX shirt; I saw a patriot’s hat. Patriot’s fans? I assume the pink may be for breast cancer so a good cause, but the eagles sell them in pink also. Also saw the normal flips and everybody scrambling for the beer, several times. Amusing, made for some good laughs.